Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

RTW seatback launcher (passenger reclines seat suddenly without warning)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

RTW seatback launcher (passenger reclines seat suddenly without warning)

Search this Thread

Old Sep 17, 2019, 3:28 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton ♦ , Hyatt Carbonado, Wyndham ♦, Marriott PE, "Stinking Bum" elsewhere.
Originally Posted by kennycrudup
That can't be right; WN E- was far more comfortable than UA E+ when I was on it last in 2015. (Don't even know what to make of the "short legs" comment)
WN has some planes that have variable 32-33" pitch. Perhaps you were on one of these. However, the 31" pitch planes are intolerable for me. I mean, I can do an hour or so, but I would never fly WN on a 3+ hour flight.
Old Sep 17, 2019, 3:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
My understanding is that WN maintains 1" of pitch above the majors: it was 32" pre-slimline and the Evolve/slimline project dropped it to 31". The majors went from 31 to 30 in the same period.
Old Sep 17, 2019, 7:00 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K MM, HHonors Diamond,PC, Marriott Rewards Gold
Originally Posted by mherdeg
If the pax was serving himself whiskey from bottles he brought, the main issue here is the violation of UA's policies -- UA needs to have served the whiskey to the pax for him to be allowed to drink it and shouldn't have served a drunk pax.

Not much you can do about seat recline unless the seat was physically damaged.
The FA reprimanded him for self-serving and bringing the bottles. Serious reprimand
Old Sep 17, 2019, 7:23 pm

Programs: UA 1K/1.5 million miler, SU Gold, JL Sapphire
So, this is a case of rudeness.

I wish that people were polite. Full stop. Unfortunately too many of them think absolutely nothing about those around them. "Yo, I paid for this seat, I have every right to recline".

Sure. But there is a way to do it. Gently. Sure, some are difficult to do, but usually by applying steady pressure instead of giving it a kick with your back you can do it.

Being drunk is not an excuse to be rude.
Old Sep 17, 2019, 8:46 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
If you witnessed him having one or more whiskey bottles in her personal carry-on, that should have been reported to the FA - it is illegal to consume alcohol onboard that was not served by a FA
Old Sep 18, 2019, 12:53 am

Programs: Marriott Titanium; WN A-list; UA Silver
Originally Posted by zombietooth
WN has some planes that have variable 32-33" pitch. Perhaps you were on one of these. However, the 31" pitch planes are intolerable for me. I mean, I can do an hour or so, but I would never fly WN on a 3+ hour flight.
WN -800 have quite a bit of pitch (32-33), plus I the new slimline seats give you more space that isn't reflected in pitch. -700 do not, though I can mostly be fine for flights of a couple hours at 6'4." It is certainly no worse than any of the big 3 Ys.
Originally Posted by findark
I'm still really confused what happened. The pax in the forward seat... reclined the seat into OP's knees? Hard? Repeatedly? Do Y seats even move enough that you can slam someone with them?
Yes. And if your knees are in just the wrong spot for just the wrong seat, a small bit of metal may jam right in that little soft spot under the kneecap. That hurt and I think I woke up the entire airplane.
Old Sep 18, 2019, 3:21 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by skywardhunter
Are you flying UA?

If you've not directly spoken to him or an FA then you have no complaint. He may be unaware that your knees are right up against the reclining part of the seat and the seat might be stuck requiring a bit of momentum to get reclining.

You've obviously had a bit of a chat if you know where he's going and what he's paid, so why not bring it up?
He passed out from all he booze.

Originally Posted by ContinentalFan
What’s all right is that he (the ethanol aficionado) should be able to recline his seat without hindrance. The dialog about getting a more comfortable seat is between you and your employer.
I’m ok with recline but not with so darn much force and velocity (ferocity!).

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Sep 18, 2019 at 9:56 pm Reason: merged consecutive posts by same member
Old Sep 18, 2019, 4:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by Often1
This is a labor relations issue with your employer.
Agreed. Someone reclined their seat in Y and that seems to be your problem. If you don't want to fly Y then figure out how to fly J or F. Don't see how the alcohol consumption plays into this problem, sorry.
Old Sep 18, 2019, 7:37 am

Programs: AA Plat, UA 1K>Plat>moving to Silver
Originally Posted by cfischer
Agreed. Someone reclined their seat in Y and that seems to be your problem. If you don't want to fly Y then figure out how to fly J or F. Don't see how the alcohol consumption plays into this problem, sorry.
I used to fly Y for work internationally. Then I had a number of miserable experiences in a row. All were due to other passengers in close proximity. I could rant about them here (maybe I did), but I realized that if that was going to stop happening, other than to stop flying international for work, the only solution is for me to do something, namely, get into business class at a reasonable cost. Trying to learn about upgrading and miles is how I stumbled into FT. Since then, I have learned that not only can flying not be miserable, it can sometimes be pleasant. If flying international Y makes you miserable, don't bother complaining about the human race, just work on getting out of there.
Old Sep 18, 2019, 9:54 am

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton ♦ , Hyatt Carbonado, Wyndham ♦, Marriott PE, "Stinking Bum" elsewhere.
Originally Posted by nmpls
WN -800 have quite a bit of pitch (32-33), plus I the new slimline seats give you more space that isn't reflected in pitch. -700 do not, though I can mostly be fine for flights of a couple hours at 6'4." It is certainly no worse than any of the big 3 Ys.
Don't you, as a Silver, get E+ most of the time on UA. If so, there is no comparison. E+ is superior to everybody's pitch. I do hate the slimline seats though and carry a seat pan extender with me when in Y.
Old Sep 18, 2019, 10:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by tryathlete
You’re right. I was establishing that this was an experienced flyer and not a newby, that this was a LONG flight, and that the guy just had no idea that it could hurt someone to literally lift oneself up and vault rearwards to recline the seat
Apologies if I missed it, but how did you know his itinerary and airfare?
Old Sep 18, 2019, 3:16 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Bear96
Apologies if I missed it, but how did you know his itinerary and airfare?
before he drank himself into submission he was quite chatty and jovial about his three week $500 RTW flight.
Old Sep 18, 2019, 6:17 pm

Programs: UA and SQ; Hilton, Fairmont, Marriott, Rydges Priority
When getting out of a seat behind a ‘insensitive’ recliner be aware that their seat back makes a very affective sling shot.
Just sayin’
tryathlete likes this.
Old Sep 19, 2019, 12:02 am

Programs: Marriott Titanium; WN A-list; UA Silver
Originally Posted by zombietooth
Don't you, as a Silver, get E+ most of the time on UA. If so, there is no comparison. E+ is superior to everybody's pitch. I do hate the slimline seats though and carry a seat pan extender with me when in Y.
Most of the time, but occasionally you get screwed and there are only middle E+ spots, which is honestly worse than an aisle or window in Y for me.
Old Sep 19, 2019, 3:47 am

Originally Posted by milepig
Which means I need to spend every second of a 4 hour flight at full attention, wondering "is not the moment my kneecap will be crushed?"
You could simply ask the person in front of you at the beginning of the flight to give you a heads up when they want to recline. Doing that would take 20 seconds. It might not work if that person is a self-serving drunk...but it should work just fine the rest of the time.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.