Is UA supposed to notify about aircraft change?

Old Sep 16, 19, 7:44 am
Original Poster

Is UA supposed to notify about aircraft change?

Just checked our ORD-PEK flight and I see that now the 777-200 is configured as 2-4-2 with the addition of a first class section vs the 2-2-2 when I booked. Our seats were 1k and 1L and are now 6 K and L which are essential the same area we had as 1 st row in biz. I am a bit disappointed as the cabin will be more cramped but at least we are in a row of two seats. The Polaris service hasnít changed.
Old Sep 16, 19, 10:03 am

Programs: UA Silver
Depends on what you mean by "supposed." They are not contractually obligated to notify you but it would be a nice gesture. Schedule change notices are typically sent out days to weeks after the change is made (if at all).
Old Sep 16, 19, 10:32 am

Programs: UA GS, UA 1MM, Hilton Lifetime Gold, Marriott Gold, Hertz Gold
Originally Posted by sexykitten7 View Post
Depends on what you mean by "supposed." They are not contractually obligated to notify you but it would be a nice gesture. Schedule change notices are typically sent out days to weeks after the change is made (if at all).
I don't know if the contractually obligated but I have been in situations where a flight was suppose to be PS equipment with lie-flat J seating and they rolled up a non PS equipped aircraft and some people went crazy. I had gotten a text about T2 informing me of the change others claimed they got no notification. Everyone (J paxs) got E Cert compensation. I have to believe in certain situations the should be if not out right required to alert you of a equipment change.
Old Sep 16, 19, 10:37 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Unless the aircraft changes from jet to prop (not likely on this route), the answer is no.

I do not know of any carrier which routinely notifies for this.

The ps example is a bit different as that is sold at a premium over standard domestic F.
Old Sep 16, 19, 10:54 am

Programs: UA 1K MM, IHG Plat Amb
EWR-HKG

I booked this flight back in July with my original seats of 8E on the 777-200. I saw a thread that alerted me to a switch to the 300 as they were flying during this past summer. I grabbed 9A for both legs. Just went to try and buy another ticket for my son when I realized that unbeknownst to me, they switched it back to a 200 and kept me in 9A. I managed to grab 8D just now, but some sort of email would have been nice.
Old Sep 16, 19, 11:04 am

Programs: UA 1K MM, Hertz PC
I reckon it is UA intended/usual MO to notify of aircraft change, BUT with all the issues they are currently facing with Polarized vs. Non-Polarized they likely are just completely overwhelmed.
May settle down in a few years when aircraft swaps aren't as likely.

Not easy for scheduling plane usage when fleet is 50/50 retrofitted.

All-in-all UA is doing a decent job in this whole retrofit to Polaris IMO....it must be an absolute nightmarish task afterall.
Old Sep 16, 19, 11:07 am
Original Poster

Thank you for the replies. So I suppose its nice but not required. As they added a plane with a first class section I tried to look into an upgrade but no 1st class available at this time which I find odd for a late January flight. I wonder if they will open up.
Old Sep 16, 19, 11:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Jacketwatch View Post
Thank you for the replies. So I suppose its nice but not required. As they added a plane with a first class section I tried to look into an upgrade but no 1st class available at this time which I find odd for a late January flight. I wonder if they will open up.
It's not the least bit odd, because United doesn't have international first class.

The seats in the former first-class section should be available for selection by Global Services members. Other passengers may be able to select them during check-in.
Old Sep 16, 19, 11:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold, AC, AA, DL, Marriott Gold, SPG Gold
There is no international F class any longer. The entire cabin is sold as business, with same service throughout. The old F class seats I believe are restricted to 1K/GS. Thereís a thread on this somewhere
Old Sep 16, 19, 12:07 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by jsloan View Post
It's not the least bit odd, because United doesn't have international first class.

The seats in the former first-class section should be available for selection by Global Services members. Other passengers may be able to select them during check-in.
OK. Thank you. Who are Global Services members?
Old Sep 16, 19, 12:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

OK. Thank you. Who are Global Services members?
United's top tier of the MileagePlus program, by invitation only.
Old Sep 16, 19, 12:38 pm

Programs: BA Bronze, United 1K, HH Gold, SPG Platinum, Marriott Platinum
Just checked our ORD-PEK flight and I see that now the 777-200 is configured as 2-4-2 with the addition of a first class section vs the 2-2-2 when I booked. Our seats were 1k and 1L and are now 6 K and L which are essential the same area we had as 1 st row in biz. I am a bit disappointed as the cabin will be more cramped but at least we are in a row of two seats. The Polaris service hasn’t changed.
When you say that you just checked your ORD-PEK flight, are you meaning that you just did the check-in for your flight tomorrow or is your flight days, weeks or months away? Just asking as the plane type might still change and you might get a Polarized 772. Twice in the past year, I had the plane type changed on day of departure. One ORD-MUC plane switched 9 hours before the flight from a Polarized 772 back to the original pmUA 772. One ORD-PVG plane switched 5 hours before departure from a pmUA 772 to a pmCO 772. In addition, in the past two years, I had many plane types changed multiple times in the last 2-3 days. I think that it was our fellow FTer Silver Fox that introduced the concept of "Watchitlikeahawk".

And, to answer your question, I get notifications of a seat change less than 20% of the time.
Old Sep 16, 19, 12:41 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K 1MM; AS MVPG75K; Marriott Titanium; Hilton Diamond (Aspire); Hyatt Refugeeist
Sometimes UA will notify you of the seat assignment change that follows an aircraft swap, but more commonly they do not. I'm not sure we have an explanation for the inconsistency other than "UA IT." It is certainly a frustrating moment when you look at your reservation and realize that (1) your choice seat assignment has been lost, and (2) all the good seats have been assigned to others.
Old Sep 16, 19, 12:50 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by StuckinITH View Post
When you say that you just checked your ORD-PEK flight, are you meaning that you just did the check-in for your flight tomorrow or is your flight days, weeks or months away? Just asking as the plane type might still change and you might get a Polarized 772. Twice in the past year, I had the plane type changed on day of departure. One ORD-MUC plane switched 9 hours before the flight from a Polarized 772 back to the original pmUA 772. One ORD-PVG plane switched 5 hours before departure from a pmUA 772 to a pmCO 772. In addition, in the past two years, I had many plane types changed multiple times in the last 2-3 days. I think that it was our fellow FTer Silver Fox that introduced the concept of "Watchitlikeahawk".

And, to answer your question, I get notifications of a seat change less than 20% of the time.
I was wondering that too, that maybe it will switch back to the 2-2-2 format we originally had.
Our flight is in late January.
Thank you. I guess we will just have to wait and see

Originally Posted by Kacee View Post
Sometimes UA will notify you of the seat assignment change that follows an aircraft swap, but more commonly they do not. I'm not sure we have an explanation for the inconsistency other than "UA IT." It is certainly a frustrating moment when you look at your reservation and realize that (1) your choice seat assignment has been lost, and (2) all the good seats have been assigned to others.
Thank you. I will just have to be vigilant.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Sep 16, 19 at 9:31 pm Reason: merged consecutive posts by same member
Old Sep 16, 19, 6:14 pm

Programs: Delta Plat
Originally Posted by Often1 View Post
... I do not know of any carrier which routinely notifies for this. ...
DL routinely notifies me about changes even to a plane with the exact same seats and exact same time of departure/arrival.

Boy who cried wolf :-)
Jacketwatch likes this.

Search this Thread