Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Is UA supposed to notify about aircraft change?

Is UA supposed to notify about aircraft change?

Old Sep 16, 19, 6:15 pm

Programs: DL 2MM, AA MM, DL Sky Club Life, AA Admirals Club Life, Hilton Gold Life
If it changed to a Max 9 I would ask for a refund
Old Sep 18, 19, 11:36 am
formerly 1984SW

Programs: UA
Originally Posted by Jacketwatch View Post
Just checked our ORD-PEK flight and I see that now the 777-200 is configured as 2-4-2 with the addition of a first class section vs the 2-2-2 when I booked. Our seats were 1k and 1L and are now 6 K and L which are essential the same area we had as 1 st row in biz. I am a bit disappointed as the cabin will be more cramped but at least we are in a row of two seats. The Polaris service hasn’t changed.
I was wondering that too, that maybe it will switch back to the 2-2-2 format we originally had.
Our flight is in late January.
Thank you. I guess we will just have to wait and see

Thank you. I will just have to be vigilant.
The possible equipment flip-flop to a PMCO (2-2-2 seating) notwithstanding, if your January ORD-PEK flight remains a PMUA 777-200, the oods are pretty good that you will get a "Polarized" 777. Per the current status of aircraft conversions to Polaris, as of today there are only four more PMUA 777s to go in for conversion. I would say it's highly likely those last four will be converted, or be in the conversion process, by your January travel date. So, *do* keep an eye on the seat maps.
Old Sep 18, 19, 1:22 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by 1984SW View Post
The possible equipment flip-flop to a PMCO (2-2-2 seating) notwithstanding, if your January ORD-PEK flight remains a PMUA 777-200, the oods are pretty good that you will get a "Polarized" 777. Per the current status of aircraft conversions to Polaris, as of today there are only four more PMUA 777s to go in for conversion. I would say it's highly likely those last four will be converted, or be in the conversion process, by your January travel date. So, *do* keep an eye on the seat maps.
I do hope so. The Polaris lounge in ORD is light years ahead of the United Club!
Thank you. I will keep an on out for changes.
Old Sep 18, 19, 1:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I do hope so. The Polaris lounge in ORD is light years ahead of the United Club!
Thank you. I will keep an on out for changes.
If you are flying in long-haul business class, you will have access to the Polaris lounge regardless of the actual configuration of the plane.

(ETA: long-haul, as above).

Last edited by jsloan; Sep 18, 19 at 2:26 pm
Old Sep 18, 19, 2:03 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by jsloan View Post
If you are flying in business class, you will have access to the Polaris lounge regardless of the actual configuration of the plane.
I don't think so, at least not in Chicago ORD. There are separate lounges for Polaris biz and non-Polaris biz. last year we flew Polaris ORD-PEK and were directed to the Polaris loung after check in, not the United club.

https://www.united.com/ual/en/us/fly...es/access.html

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Sep 18, 19 at 9:43 pm Reason: merged consecutive posts by same member
Old Sep 18, 19, 2:16 pm

Programs: BA Bronze, United 1K, HH Gold, SPG Platinum, Marriott Platinum
I don't think so, at least not in Chicago ORD. There are separate lounges for Polaris biz and non-Polaris biz. last year we flew Polaris ORD-PEK and were directed to the Polaris loung after check in, not the United club.
I think you are getting slightly confused. If you are booked on any international long haul (Europe, Asia, the southern part of South America starting at Lima) in United Polaris Business Class (It is called Polaris even if you are flying on a non-reconfigured plane) you get access to the Polaris Lounge. This is the way it is at ORD like at the other airports that have Polaris Lounges. In airports that don't have Polaris Lounges (like for example IAD), you get to go to the UC Clubs.
jsloan likes this.
Old Sep 18, 19, 2:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by StuckinITH View Post
I think you are getting slightly confused. If you are booked on any international long haul (Europe, Asia, the southern part of South America starting at Lima) in United Polaris Business Class (It is called Polaris even if you are flying on a non-reconfigured plane) you get access to the Polaris Lounge. This is the way it is at ORD like at the other airports that have Polaris Lounges. In airports that don't have Polaris Lounges (like for example IAD), you get to go to the UC Clubs.
Sorry, yes, my message was unclear, and I fixed it. The point is that access to the Polaris lounge depends upon the route, not the seating configuration, exactly as StuckInITH said. Sorry about the imprecision.
Old Sep 18, 19, 2:42 pm

Sorry, yes, my message was unclear, and I fixed it. The point is that access to the Polaris lounge depends upon the route, not the seating configuration, exactly as StuckInITH said. Sorry about the imprecision.
For what it's worth, former-p.s. seems to be the only non-Polaris 'Business' marketed route now. So usually 'Business' does mean Polaris.

edit: actually might need to clarify that—are the near-South America routes still 'Business'? Anyway, that would be the only other exception.
Old Sep 18, 19, 2:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by fumje View Post
For what it's worth, former-p.s. seems to be the only non-Polaris 'Business' marketed route now. So usually 'Business' does mean Polaris.

edit: actually might need to clarify thatóare the near-South America routes still 'Business'? Anyway, that would be the only other exception.
All short-haul international flights are business / economy. You can fly "business" on a CRJ-700 to Ottawa.
Old Sep 18, 19, 3:05 pm

All short-haul international flights are business / economy. You can fly "business" on a CRJ-700 to Ottawa.
No, they've changed Canada and Mexico to 'First' for a little while now.
Old Sep 18, 19, 3:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by fumje View Post
No, they've changed Canada and Mexico to 'First' for a little while now.
Canada appears to be First now; Mexico is still Business, at least on my brief survey. Odd.
Old Sep 18, 19, 4:02 pm
Original Poster

Actually I know that. This is why I said UA in ORD has separate lounges, one for Polaris service and the Club for non-Polaris class service regardless of the plane configuration.
In any case the Polaris lounge in ORD is way better than the Club. OTOH the club in LAX is very good.

Ok jsloan I reread and now see what you mean. The way I worded it did not convey my meaning. Sorry about that. I do realize itís Polaris regardless of the plane configuration but it came out wrong.

I looked at the seating chart and saw what I thought was first class has like only 8 seats presumably for global services members.

All the best.

Larry

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Sep 18, 19 at 9:46 pm Reason: merged consecutive posts by same member
Old Sep 18, 19, 4:37 pm

Programs: BA Bronze, United 1K, HH Gold, SPG Platinum, Marriott Platinum
Ok jsloan I reread and now see what you mean. The way I worded it did not convey my meaning. Sorry about that. I do realize it’s Polaris regardless of the plane configuration but it came out wrong.

I looked at the seating chart and saw what I thought was first class has like only 8 seats presumably for global services members.

All the best.

Larry
If any of those seats in the former First Class area are still available when you check-in at T-24 you can get them. It's way easier to get them if you are connecting from another airport as they are already show available then.

I see that you are in the Chicago area so it's going to be more difficult to get them as passengers checking-in before you will surely take them.

PS: you should use the "Multi Quote" function. You click Multi Quote, you click Multi Quote, then you click "Quote. If you want to quote 3 comments, you click Multi Quote 3 times, etc......
narvik likes this.

Last edited by StuckinITH; Sep 18, 19 at 4:51 pm Reason: Add Information
Old Sep 18, 19, 4:41 pm

OR..in any long haul *A Business or First departing ORD.....
Old Sep 18, 19, 5:23 pm
Original Poster

If any of those seats in the former First Class area are still available when you check-in at T-24 you can get them. It's way easier to get them if you are connecting from another airport as they are already show available then.

I see that you are in the Chicago area so it's going to be more difficult to get them as passengers checking-in before you will surely take them.

PS: you should use the "Multi Quote" function. You click Multi Quote, you click Multi Quote, then you click "Quote. If you want to quote 3 comments, you click Multi Quote 3 times, etc......

Thank you!

Search this Thread
Search Engine: