Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Error Email from UA: Thanks for using award miles -Here's how to rebuild your balance

Error Email from UA: Thanks for using award miles -Here's how to rebuild your balance

Old Sep 15, 19, 8:36 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA Gold

Received an email from United ([email protected]) at 6:28 PDT with the subject "Thanks for using award miles - here's how to rebuild your balance." However, I did not redeem any award miles so I was quite concerned and wondered if my account had been hacked. My balance was normal and when I called, the agent said that about 300 emails had been sent. She said it was an error. A second email with the subject: "Chase Pay is an easy way to pay on united.com" was also sent. She asked if I had received that one, as well. They checked my award miles balance and activity and said that there was no actual activity. She anticipated that I would receive a corrected email, probably tomorrow.
malgudi and Jennifer Wong like this.

Last edited by TH310; Sep 15, 19 at 8:40 pm Reason: Title
Old Sep 15, 19, 9:00 pm

Thanks for posting! I had this exact question and also had the same two emails. If I don't get a correction email, I'll be sure to call them tomorrow!
TH310 likes this.
Old Sep 15, 19, 9:04 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.021MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CWC Au-197; CCC Elite; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by TH310 View Post
A second email with the subject: "Chase Pay is an easy way to pay on united.com" was also sent.
Funny because Chase is discontinuing Chase Pay.
Old Sep 15, 19, 9:27 pm

I received both of those emails as well (at the same time). I had used miles for an award trip but it was almost three years ago! And made more aggravating because my email is also used as a secondary address for both my wife's and child's account (for getting monthly balance emails) and it didn't identify the MP account (although mine is the only one with a MP Visa).
Old Sep 15, 19, 9:35 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA Gold
My husband has a MP card (Club) and he did not receive the emails. I have a Club and an Explorer card and did (OP).

Last edited by TH310; Sep 15, 19 at 9:35 pm Reason: clarity
Old Sep 15, 19, 9:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold, AC, AA, DL, Marriott Gold, SPG Gold
Got both the emails also.

Originally Posted by mahasamatman View Post
Funny because Chase is discontinuing Chase Pay.
This is not accurate, AFAIK. Chase is getting rid of their own Chase Pay app, but not the Chase Pay service, which I’m under the impression will continue to exist in merchant apps and on websites for payment, like for UA.
nexusCFX likes this.
Old Sep 15, 19, 10:48 pm

Programs: 1K, *G, 1MM
Thank you for posting as this just happened to me and I was very confused (and somewhat concerned). Wonder if the 300 e-mails that went out in error went predominantly to FTers?
Old Sep 15, 19, 11:03 pm

Programs: UA
Me too

I do have an upcoming award flight so thought nothing of it.
Old Sep 16, 19, 12:09 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: WN AL+/CP, IHG AMB/Plat, HH/Mar Gold, UA Dirt
Originally Posted by TH310 View Post
Received an email from United ([email protected]) at 6:28 PDT with the subject "Thanks for using award miles - here's how to rebuild your balance." However, I did not redeem any award miles so I was quite concerned and wondered if my account had been hacked. My balance was normal and when I called, the agent said that about 300 emails had been sent. She said it was an error. A second email with the subject: "Chase Pay is an easy way to pay on united.com" was also sent. She asked if I had received that one, as well. They checked my award miles balance and activity and said that there was no actual activity. She anticipated that I would receive a corrected email, probably tomorrow.
Ha I instantly checked my balance as well!

got both emails too...
Old Sep 16, 19, 1:00 am

Programs: UA 1K&1.88MM, MR lifetime Gold, HZ PC,
Got the emails here as well. Pretty sure more than "300" went out!
TH310 likes this.
Old Sep 16, 19, 3:00 am

Programs: UA 1MM, AS MVPG, Marriott Plat, Honors Dia, IHG Plat, ...
I got both emails about 20 minutes after I booked an award trip yesterday. Apologies to all if my booking triggered the email avalanche

Originally Posted by emcampbe View Post
This is not accurate, AFAIK. Chase is getting rid of their own Chase Pay app, but not the Chase Pay service, which I’m under the impression will continue to exist in merchant apps and on websites for payment, like for UA.
That was my understanding as well. I wonder why they bother. Perhaps there are some financial benefits for Chase/UA when the customer uses Chase Pay vs. just using the Chase Visa directly?
Old Sep 16, 19, 4:08 am
1P

Location: LAX and LHR. UA lifetime Gold 1.8MM 1K , DL working my way up, HHonors Gold, Marriott Gold, BW Plat, Hertz #1 Gold PC, Avis Preferred
I also received both emails. No award booing in prospect....
Old Sep 16, 19, 12:07 pm
Original Member

Programs: UA Platinum/MM, Marriott LT Titanium, Hyatt Discoverist
I recently applied a miles+copay upgrade, so I figured the email was related to that transaction. *shrug*
Old Sep 16, 19, 1:25 pm

Programs: UA 1K MM, AA Gold MM, Marriott LTT, Hyatt Globalist, HH Silver
Just received email apologizing for the error in the recent email.

The email shown below regarding rebuilding your MileagePlus® balance as a result of a recent award redemption for an award trip was sent to you in error. Please accept our apology for the mistake and any inconvenience it may have caused. Thank you for your understanding.

I had received both aforementioned emails yesterday, and had no award activities.
Old Sep 16, 19, 1:29 pm

Programs: United Mileage Plus, World of Hyatt, Marriott Bonvoy
I received both emails. Must have been well beyond 300 emails...

Search this Thread