FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   United Airlines | MileagePlus (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus-681/)
-   -   Error Email from UA: Thanks for using award miles -Here's how to rebuild your balance (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus/1987447-error-email-ua-thanks-using-award-miles-heres-how-rebuild-your-balance.html)

TH310 Sep 15, 2019 8:36 pm

Error Email from UA: Thanks for using award miles -Here's how to rebuild your balance

Received an email from United ([email protected]) at 6:28 PDT with the subject "Thanks for using award miles - here's how to rebuild your balance." However, I did not redeem any award miles so I was quite concerned and wondered if my account had been hacked. My balance was normal and when I called, the agent said that about 300 emails had been sent. She said it was an error. A second email with the subject: "Chase Pay is an easy way to pay on united.com" was also sent. She asked if I had received that one, as well. They checked my award miles balance and activity and said that there was no actual activity. She anticipated that I would receive a corrected email, probably tomorrow.

Jennifer Wong Sep 15, 2019 9:00 pm

Thanks for posting! I had this exact question and also had the same two emails. If I don't get a correction email, I'll be sure to call them tomorrow! :)

mahasamatman Sep 15, 2019 9:04 pm

Originally Posted by TH310 (Post 31529075)
A second email with the subject: "Chase Pay is an easy way to pay on united.com" was also sent.

Funny because Chase is discontinuing Chase Pay.

BelmontRef Sep 15, 2019 9:27 pm

I received both of those emails as well (at the same time). I had used miles for an award trip but it was almost three years ago! And made more aggravating because my email is also used as a secondary address for both my wife's and child's account (for getting monthly balance emails) and it didn't identify the MP account (although mine is the only one with a MP Visa).

TH310 Sep 15, 2019 9:35 pm

My husband has a MP card (Club) and he did not receive the emails. I have a Club and an Explorer card and did (OP).

emcampbe Sep 15, 2019 9:50 pm

Got both the emails also.

Originally Posted by mahasamatman (Post 31529143)
Funny because Chase is discontinuing Chase Pay.

This is not accurate, AFAIK. Chase is getting rid of their own Chase Pay app, but not the Chase Pay service, which I’m under the impression will continue to exist in merchant apps and on websites for payment, like for UA.

Aussienarelle Sep 15, 2019 10:48 pm

Thank you for posting as this just happened to me and I was very confused (and somewhat concerned). Wonder if the 300 e-mails that went out in error went predominantly to FTers?

clkc86 Sep 15, 2019 11:03 pm

Me too

I do have an upcoming award flight so thought nothing of it.

uastarflyer Sep 16, 2019 12:09 am

Originally Posted by TH310 (Post 31529075)
Received an email from United ([email protected]) at 6:28 PDT with the subject "Thanks for using award miles - here's how to rebuild your balance." However, I did not redeem any award miles so I was quite concerned and wondered if my account had been hacked. My balance was normal and when I called, the agent said that about 300 emails had been sent. She said it was an error. A second email with the subject: "Chase Pay is an easy way to pay on united.com" was also sent. She asked if I had received that one, as well. They checked my award miles balance and activity and said that there was no actual activity. She anticipated that I would receive a corrected email, probably tomorrow.

Ha I instantly checked my balance as well!

got both emails too...

cricketer Sep 16, 2019 1:00 am

Got the emails here as well. Pretty sure more than "300" went out!

notquiteaff Sep 16, 2019 3:00 am

I got both emails about 20 minutes after I booked an award trip yesterday. Apologies to all if my booking triggered the email avalanche ;)

Originally Posted by emcampbe (Post 31529215)
This is not accurate, AFAIK. Chase is getting rid of their own Chase Pay app, but not the Chase Pay service, which I’m under the impression will continue to exist in merchant apps and on websites for payment, like for UA.

That was my understanding as well. I wonder why they bother. Perhaps there are some financial benefits for Chase/UA when the customer uses Chase Pay vs. just using the Chase Visa directly?

1P Sep 16, 2019 4:08 am

I also received both emails. No award booing in prospect....

PTahCha Sep 16, 2019 12:07 pm

I recently applied a miles+copay upgrade, so I figured the email was related to that transaction. *shrug*

CIT85 Sep 16, 2019 1:25 pm

Just received email apologizing for the error in the recent email.

The email shown below regarding rebuilding your MileagePlus® balance as a result of a recent award redemption for an award trip was sent to you in error. Please accept our apology for the mistake and any inconvenience it may have caused. Thank you for your understanding.

I had received both aforementioned emails yesterday, and had no award activities.

AirbusFan2B Sep 16, 2019 1:29 pm

I received both emails. Must have been well beyond 300 emails...