Young adult discounted travel

Hide Wikipost
Old Sep 15, 19, 11:23 am   -   Wikipost
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Wiki Link
Discounted flights for 18 to 22 year olds

Whether it’s going to your dream music festival or visiting the family — get closer to what matters most with up to 10% off flights. This membership discount is exclusively for 18- to 22-year-old travelers and available only through the United app.

You can book flights for yourself with this limited-time discount until December 31, 2019, so don’t wait to plan your next trip.
How it works

You’ll get 10% off flights within the U.S., Canada and Mexico. If you’re looking to go further, we’ll take a little something off select international destinations as well.

To get this discount, follow these steps:
  1. Download the latest United app. You’ll only get this discount when booking flights on the app.
  2. Sign up for a MileagePlus® account. Don’t forget to enter your date of birth.
  3. Search for flights on the United app. Select “Book” on the bottom navigation bar.
  4. Select “Discounted travel (ages 18-22).” That way, the discount will automatically show up when you search for flights.

Keep an eye out for additional discounts when you book your flight with this promotion.

Travel more sustainably
You’ll have the opportunity to reduce your carbon footprint when you travel with us, too. If you’re one of the first 25,000 travelers who books a flight with this discount, we’ll offset your share of the carbon emissions associated with that flight.
Print Wikipost

Old Sep 15, 19, 3:08 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K, AS MVP
Young adult discounted travel

Couldn't find a thread on the new 10% discount for young adults (18-22). Wish they had announced this earlier, pretty nice little perk and have been availing myself to it before I become ineligible soon.
Old Sep 15, 19, 6:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by VWang1111 View Post
Couldn't find a thread on the new 10% discount for young adults (18-22). Wish they had announced this earlier, pretty nice little perk and have been availing myself to it before I become ineligible soon.
What does the fine print say?
Old Sep 15, 19, 6:59 pm

Programs: UA 1K MM, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by ContinentalFan View Post
What does the fine print say?
Good question.
Seems to be booked now through December 31, for Economy and Basic Economy tickets.
Old Sep 15, 19, 7:06 pm
Moderator: United Airlines; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold 1.85MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Gold
Originally Posted by VWang1111 View Post
Couldn't find a thread on the new 10% discount for young adults (18-22). ....
Link?
Old Sep 15, 19, 7:13 pm

Programs: UA Silver
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA View Post
Link?
Buried in the MP promotions section
Old Sep 15, 19, 7:16 pm

Programs: AC E50K, AS MVP, Hertz PC, Hilton Diamond, Delta/Marriott/SPG Plat, UA Gold
https://www.usatoday.com/story/trave...heir%20ticket.

• Passengers must be MileagePlus Members.
  • Passengers must list their birth date in their MileagePlus profile.
  • The flight must be booked through United's mobile app.
  • Seats selected for the flight must be in economy.
  • Reservations can include only one passenger.
"Tickets within the USA, Canada and Mexico are eligible to be discounted under the promotion. Some additional international destinations are included in the discount."
Old Sep 15, 19, 7:19 pm

Originally Posted by wavid View Post
Somebody please tell me this isn't a gimmick like the old bereavement and humanitarian service (eg missionary) discounts, where the discount applied to higher priced fares, like full fare, only. I never saw the fares the best you could actually find without doing the so-called discount. Not post-deregulation anyway.
Old Sep 15, 19, 7:25 pm
Moderator: United Airlines; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold 1.85MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Gold
Originally Posted by wavid View Post
Appears to be a promotion to get 18-22 to sign up for MP, get the UA app on their phones and provide a target market pool for UA.
Old Sep 15, 19, 8:14 pm

Side note with just a thought I have regarding this promotion. I completely understand the reasoning behind this (sign up for MP, become a customer at a young age). But...how are promotions like this not age discrimination against everyone else? What if the promotion was only for a specific race instead of age? For example, "Asian customers receive 10% off" (with hopes to capture more market share from the most populated continent in the world). I'd guess that the media today would be 100% negative about a promotion being targeted to a certain demographic of people. No point to this post besides wanting to see what others think!
Old Sep 15, 19, 8:17 pm

Programs: UA GS+LT UC, AA LT PLT, Fairmont LT PLT, SPG PLT, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Diamond, Avis CHM.
Originally Posted by Long Zhiren View Post
Somebody please tell me this isn't a gimmick like the old bereavement and humanitarian service (eg missionary) discounts, where the discount applied to higher priced fares, like full fare, only. I never saw the fares the best you could actually find without doing the so-called discount. Not post-deregulation anyway.
It's legit. Even work on basic economy fares.
Old Sep 15, 19, 8:27 pm

Programs: Former 1KMM now free as UA Gold MM, former HH D, Marriott PP
It works, sorta.

Through the app, the discount is applied. However they didn’t bother to conceive of the possibility that the same purchaser could be premier so the app tries to charge extra fees for selecting E+ seating as you go through the purchase flow. So you have to select E- seats and wait until after ticketing to change.

Then, at the last step in the purchase flow, the app crashes. So then you get to try to figure out whether the purchase was completed or not.

Crappy implementation and testing by the app team.
SFO_LOW_CLOUDS likes this.
Old Sep 15, 19, 9:02 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K, AS MVP
Originally Posted by bmr12 View Post
It works, sorta.

Through the app, the discount is applied. However they didn’t bother to conceive of the possibility that the same purchaser could be premier so the app tries to charge extra fees for selecting E+ seating as you go through the purchase flow. So you have to select E- seats and wait until after ticketing to change.

Then, at the last step in the purchase flow, the app crashes. So then you get to try to figure out whether the purchase was completed or not.

Crappy implementation and testing by the app team.
It's not great but I was able to get it to ticket. Pretty nice discount and the seats can be changed after booking to E+.
Old Sep 15, 19, 9:08 pm

Programs: UA 1K3MM, MR LT Plat, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by zeus2120 View Post
But...how are promotions like this not age discrimination against everyone else?
Discounts targeted to a certain age - like senior discounts or in this case young adults is considered legal under US Federal law.
Old Sep 15, 19, 9:12 pm
_fx

Programs: AS MVPG
Originally Posted by zeus2120 View Post
Side note with just a thought I have regarding this promotion. I completely understand the reasoning behind this (sign up for MP, become a customer at a young age). But...how are promotions like this not age discrimination against everyone else? What if the promotion was only for a specific race instead of age? For example, "Asian customers receive 10% off" (with hopes to capture more market share from the most populated continent in the world). I'd guess that the media today would be 100% negative about a promotion being targeted to a certain demographic of people. No point to this post besides wanting to see what others think!
Age discrimination has a very specific scope that mostly applies to employee-employer relationships.. Car insurance companies regularly discriminate based on age. I am sure United's lawyers have vetted this quite well.
Old Sep 15, 19, 9:16 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.021MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CWC Au-197; CCC Elite; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by _fx View Post
Car insurance companies regularly discriminate based on age.
Car rental companies, too.

Search this Thread