Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Sep 15, 2019, 7:19 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Was originally 18-22, now 18-23

1. Must be a MileagePlus member aged 18-23, at the time of booking, to be eligible for discounted fares.
  2. Birthday field must be completed within MileagePlus account.
  3. Discounted fares only available in the United mobile app when signed into your MileagePlus account.
    1. Fares that are discounted are indicated in the booking path.
  4. Minimum 5% discount on United or United Express operated flights within North America originating in the United States. All published, non-contracted economy class fares are eligible. Specialty contracted/net/bulk or government fares are not eligible.
  5. Varying discounts on select United and United Express International flights originating in the United States.
    1. May also be valid on certain codeshare flights identified with a “UA*” flight number and operated by Lufthansa, Swiss, Austrian, Brussels, Air Canada, ANA or Air New Zealand.
  6. Tickets must be purchased by September 30, 2024.
  7. Offer not valid on previously purchased tickets.
  8. All rules and travel restrictions of the purchased fare apply. When applicable, refunds may be issued based on the amount paid; however, additional charges may apply.
  9. Domestic and International fare discounts do not apply to taxes/fees/surcharges, including passenger facility charges, international departure tax, customs users/immigration fees, agricultural tax or airport security charges. It is the responsibility of the passenger to pay such amounts at time of ticketing. In addition, the discount does not apply to checked baggage or other fees.
  10. Not combinable with any other discount travel certificate, MileagePlus reward or other discounted fares.
  11. MileagePlus mileage credit is awarded based on the discounted fare purchased.
  12. In the event of a flight irregularity, alternative travel will be provided on flights operated by United, United Express, or those listed as “UA*” flights.
  13. United Airlines reserves the right to modify or terminate this promotional offer without prior notice.
  14. Miles, awards and benefits are subject to the rules of the United MileagePlus program. For details, see www.united.com.
FAQs

Print Wikipost

Young adult discounted travel

Search this Thread

Old Sep 16, 2019, 4:17 am

Programs: OZ Diamond, UA Gold
The UA Facebook post had said only domestic US, glad to see this is also for Canada. I’ve got a few more months of eligibility.
Old Sep 16, 2019, 6:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, DL Silver, UA Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Platinum + LT Gold
Originally Posted by dinoscool3
The UA Facebook post had said only domestic US, glad to see this is also for Canada. I’ve got a few more months of eligibility.
and Mexico, plus select "other" international destinations.
Old Sep 16, 2019, 7:44 am

Programs: 1K - UAL, Platinum DL, Marriott, Hilton, SPG
Good way for UA to try to compete against the JetBlue, Spirit or SWA options.
Old Sep 16, 2019, 2:23 pm

Programs: HH Diamond, Sixt Platinum, IHG Spire Ambassador, Marriott/SPG Gold .....
I was tempted to say "Age discrimination" (not in a legal way but in a PR way) but then I read Economy and Basic Economy .... good to be an old geezer playing the points game for a few years as I never fly Economy anymore anyway..... book away my limber friends and enjoy that it isn't me sitting next to your (I would be grumpy flying economy) ..... I'm spoiled
Old Sep 16, 2019, 3:19 pm

Programs: United Global Services, Amtrak Select Executive
Originally Posted by _fx
Age discrimination has a very specific scope that mostly applies to employee-employer relationships.. Car insurance companies regularly discriminate based on age. I am sure United's lawyers have vetted this quite well.
Not only that, but UA does indeed discriminate price on basis of the nation from which you buy tickets/where your credit card is based. There's an entire thread in this forum discussing it.
Old Sep 17, 2019, 3:34 pm

What happened to the old "North America pass" and similar that used to be marketed to students and other people who have way too much free time to travel?
Old Sep 17, 2019, 5:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
Originally Posted by zeus2120
But...how are promotions like this not age discrimination against everyone else?
Because age is not a protected status.

Age is a federal protected status in employment only, but not in other aspects. Also, even states may provide age discrimination protection, Airline Deregulation Act explicitly preempts such protection.

Also - as a fact, per AARP, UA provides discount to seniors. So it is definitely not the first time that UA provides discount based on age.

Originally Posted by zeus2120
What if the promotion was only for a specific race instead of age? For example, "Asian customers receive 10% off" (with hopes to capture more market share from the most populated continent in the world).
Legal or not - airlines won't promote based on a specific race. Specifically:

1. Airlines don't collect and have such data.

2. What constitutes, based on your example, Asian? FWIW - without a clear definition, even Keanu Reeves can claim such discounts (Note - Keanu Reeves is part Asian).

Bottom line - it is too difficult to enforce a promotion based on race.
Old Sep 17, 2019, 7:17 pm

Programs: UA 1K, MR Titanium, IHG Gold, National Exec
Originally Posted by garykung
Age is a federal protected status in employment only, but not in other aspects.
And even then, only for 40+.

Anyway, way to go UA for giving us yet another reason to wish we were 22 again...
Old Sep 17, 2019, 7:43 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
per AARP, UA provides discount to seniors.
AARP is wrong. It's been many years since United has offered those.
Old Sep 17, 2019, 11:33 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, AA Gold, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by mahasamatman
Car rental companies, too.
My biggest gripe about being young! I'm thankful that I don't pay the robbery of the underage fee but I'm locked in with Hertz and AAA.
Old Sep 18, 2019, 1:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
Originally Posted by _fx
Car insurance companies regularly discriminate based on age.
Not true.

It is true that high premiums are associated with young ages. But being young is not the reason for high premium. At the minimum, insurers rely on loss ratio to determine premiums. So when a particular age group do bad (i.e. more claims), the insurer can increase the group's associated risks. Hence, a higher premium.

Originally Posted by mahasamatman
Car rental companies, too.
That I agree.

At the minimum, if the rental car can fully insured in some ways, I don't see why it is different from renting the car to a more matured adult.
Old Sep 18, 2019, 6:54 pm
_fx

Programs: AS 75K, DL Platinum
Not true.
It is true that high premiums are associated with young ages. But being young is not the reason for high premium. At the minimum, insurers rely on loss ratio to determine premiums. So when a particular age group do bad (i.e. more claims), the insurer can increase the group's associated risks. Hence, a higher premium.
You could say United is doing the same thing ... they aren't using age, they're using spending power, whether the customer has already established brand loyalty, or some other category that happens to cover younger people.
Old Sep 18, 2019, 7:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by _fx
You could say United is doing the same thing ... they aren't using age, they're using spending power, whether the customer has already established brand loyalty, or some other category that happens to cover younger people.
Actually, IMO, I believe the discount has more to do with Chase than UA.

M+ is no FB or Twitter. So I don't expect every young adult has an account. For this promotion, UA requires M+ account. So there will people signing up just for the discount.

By signing up, UA will get ahold of their information. Hence, co-branded credit card promotion.

There is a reason why the promotion is limited in term of destinations.
Old Nov 5, 2020, 11:46 am

Programs: UA/*A Gold, Global Entry, Marriott Plat, Hilton+IHG Gold, Hertz PC, DL
these guys have to be FT members....

United Airlines faces age discrimination claims for offering discount only to travelers ages 18 to 22

United Airlines customers have filed a lawsuit alleging they were the victims of age discrimination, saying they were excluded from a 10% discount offered to 18- to 22-year-olds.

The suit, filed Tuesday in the U.S. District Court for the Southern District of California, alleges violations of California anti-discrimination law and seeks class-action status on behalf of customers excluded from the promotion because of their age. Plaintiffs Fuiolevaga Riddick, of Los Angeles, and David Pacheco, of San Diego, were 23 and 67 years old, respectively, at the time the alleged discrimination occurred, according to the complaint.
https://www.chicagotribune.com/busin...35m-story.html
Old Nov 5, 2020, 12:03 pm

Programs: UA GS4MM, MR LT Plat, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by riphamilton
these guys have to be FT members....

https://www.chicagotribune.com/busin...35m-story.html
Quite frankly, it is disappointing a law firm would even take this up - it is well established discounts for children, seniors, women, residents, military, etc are all legal.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.