FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   United Airlines | MileagePlus (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus-681/)
-   -   Is this a Legal International Connection? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus/1987374-legal-international-connection.html)

mfirst Sep 15, 2019 8:24 am

Is this a Legal International Connection?

I have a complex (at least complex for me) trip coming up in which I am flying Toronto-Dubai on A.C. - purchased on United stock (016). However, on a second ticket - since I could not easily combine all of this together, for multiple reasons, I am flying into YYZ from a US United hub several hours before the outbound flight (and not worried about that) - however, on my return to YYZ, I have (on the same ticket as the hub-YYZ) a flight from YYZ to another United US hub - on United metal. The connection time is about 1 hour in YYZ, and it is very early in the morning. There is similar flight, on A.C., about 90 min after the United flight - but I would like to keep this all on United, as much as possible.

is this a legal connection? and/or bad idea?
(I also hope that if there are connection problems, then United might be more helpful in rescheduling given that I am 1K vs nothing on AC)

-m

MSPeconomist Sep 15, 2019 8:26 am

With separate tickets, these aren't connections.

BlueZebra Sep 15, 2019 8:36 am

Remember you will "pre-clear" US Immigration and Customs at YYZ. 60 minutes gives you very little cushion...

mfirst Sep 15, 2019 8:41 am

I am hoping that at 530, pre-clearing might be easier/faster?
Since both of these are on United 016 - will they let me combine them?
- if so, is there any advantage to doing so?

MSPecon - please elaborate on your comment and why it is significant?

thank you,

-m

jsloan Sep 15, 2019 8:48 am

Originally Posted by mfirst (Post 31527167)
The connection time is about 1 hour in YYZ, and it is very early in the morning. There is similar flight, on A.C., about 90 min after the United flight - but I would like to keep this all on United, as much as possible.

is this a legal connection? and/or bad idea?

No. Yes.

Originally Posted by mfirst (Post 31527215)

Not that much faster.

No.

On a connection -- a single ticket -- you'd be protected against delays, and re-accommodated automatically. On separate tickets, AC's responsibility ends at getting you to YYZ, and UA has no responsibility if you miss your flight.

The published Minimum Connection Time for AC-UA transfers at YYZ is 1:25. You're not even close. You would not be able to check luggage on this itinerary (although, I hope you weren't planning to do so anyway, given the time crunch).

Yes, UA might be willing to put you on the later UA flight if you arrive late, either because you're a 1K or through an application of the flat tire rule. But, I wouldn't risk it personally. For separate tickets, I'd have a minimum 4 hour cushion, if not more. I'd buy a later, UA-operated flight, and if things go really smoothly, I'd look to SDC to the earlier one (assuming no checked baggage).

stevenshev Sep 15, 2019 8:50 am

If you have bags, this will be VERY tight. Almost unmakeably so. I've done 1 hour (illegal) connections in YYZ before at 5.30am and there was lots of sweat waiting for my name to appear on the customs luggage board.

mfirst Sep 15, 2019 8:52 am

yes, now that you mention it - I recall YYZ baggage claim to be not fun...... will probably carry on
(does it help that I am flying business on DXB-YYZ?)

-m

stevenshev Sep 15, 2019 8:53 am

Originally Posted by mfirst (Post 31527257)
yes, now that you mention it - I recall YYZ baggage claim to be not fun...... will probably carry on
(does it help that I am flying business on DXB-YYZ?)

-m

Makes no difference. If carry on only, you have GE, and flight is on time, then you'll be totally fine.

It's bags or delays that throw the wrenches.

Kmxu Sep 15, 2019 8:53 am

- if so, is there any advantage to doing so?

thank you,

-m

Looking for "transit" after deplaning from AC flight at YYZ. This will lead to US immigration pre-clearance (ask gate agent if you are not sure). The line is normally very short. If you go through Canadian immigration and then US immigration pre-clearance, you will need 2-3 hours.
Good luck.

mfirst Sep 15, 2019 8:55 am

..... probably need to also clarify that I have a US passport

MSPeconomist Sep 15, 2019 9:07 am

Originally Posted by mfirst (Post 31527267)
..... probably need to also clarify that I have a US passport

Do you have NEXIS? GE?

mfirst Sep 15, 2019 9:08 am

MSP- no to both
(Pre-check and Clear)

Miles Ahead Sep 15, 2019 10:21 am

I wouldn't even want to be dropped off on the sidewalk at YYZ an hour before a flight to the US. Yes, they try and make connections smooth, but as pointed out, this is not a connection and if something goes wrong, you're on your own. Jsloan has the right idea - but a ticket with plenty of cushion, and SDC it if things work out.

mfirst Sep 15, 2019 12:09 pm

well - just returned/changed my ticket from the earlier United flight to the later AC flight......

appreciate the advice.... will see what happens.......

-m

mahasamatman Sep 15, 2019 12:22 pm

I would say it's just as likely to be slower. At that time of day, there may be only one or two people to handle all departures.