"Others have searched for this trip" message

Old Sep 15, 19, 6:59 am
  #1  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: New Jersey
Programs: UA MM 1K, AA MM Gold, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Gold
Posts: 2,624
"Others have searched for this trip" message

I noticed this message on my most recent flight search. Is this new and is it another attempt to create a sense of urgency to book a trip, besides listing the number of seats left for a particular fare? I was searching for a EWR-LAX itinerary, so only 12 other searches for this routing seems too low, even for just one set of dates.
narvik likes this.
tarheelnj is offline  
Old Sep 15, 19, 7:02 am
  #2  
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Location: NYC (Primarily EWR)
Programs: UA 1K / *G; Le Club Accor Platinum; Marriott Bonvoy Gold; Hertz PC
Posts: 6,445
I saw it the other day as well. What does 'about 12' people mean anyways? It would be more honest if it was a precise number (I saw the exact same message on a search a couple days ago as well).
nancypants likes this.
PsiFighter37 is offline  
Old Sep 15, 19, 7:03 am
  #3  
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: AVP & PEK
Programs: UA 1K MM, Hertz PC
Posts: 2,661
Pathetic!
iluv2fly and seanp7 like this.
narvik is offline  
Old Sep 15, 19, 7:07 am
  #4  
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Location: BNA (Nashville)
Programs: HH Gold, Marriott Gold
Posts: 2,364
Itís read an article that referred to this as a sales technique. Fear of missing out. People tend to purchase things if they think others are doing it as well. In addition, it helps create a sense of urgency. Itís akin to the Ďonly 12 seats left at this priceí messages you mention.

A sales technique that that apparently works.
nancypants, narvik, jsloan and 2 others like this.

Last edited by bitterproffit; Sep 15, 19 at 7:09 am Reason: Reviewed post
bitterproffit is offline  
Old Sep 15, 19, 7:27 am
  #5  
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: AVP & PEK
Programs: UA 1K MM, Hertz PC
Posts: 2,661
Originally Posted by bitterproffit View Post
Itís read an article that referred to this as a sales technique. Fear of missing out. People tend to purchase things if they think others are doing it as well. In addition, it helps create a sense of urgency. Itís akin to the Ďonly 12 seats left at this priceí messages you mention.

A sales technique that that apparently works.

Except in this case it doesn't.
If I am looking for a W fare with intention to upgrade with a GPU and 100 other people looked at the same flight, I would assume my chances are pretty slim, knowing how popular this flight is, and I will search alternative airlines.
Take THAT United marketing department!!!
narvik is offline  
Old Sep 15, 19, 7:44 am
  #6  
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Virginia and Vitoria, ES Brazil
Programs: UA 1K, Million Miler, *G, JJ, AD Diamante, Global Entry, CLEAR, H.O.G. Life Member
Posts: 1,301
Originally Posted by bitterproffit View Post
Itís read an article that referred to this as a sales technique. Fear of missing out. People tend to purchase things if they think others are doing it as well. In addition, it helps create a sense of urgency. Itís akin to the Ďonly 12 seats left at this priceí messages you mention.

A sales technique that that apparently works.
If you ever search for hotels on Booking.com, you will see the same technique.
chavala likes this.
qfrodo is offline  
Old Sep 15, 19, 7:54 am
  #7  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: wandering expat
Posts: 39,715
Originally Posted by qfrodo View Post
If you ever search for hotels on Booking.com, you will see the same technique.
A technique I ignore every time I encounter it.
narvik, leoo, karenkay and 2 others like this.
halls120 is offline  
Old Sep 15, 19, 8:09 am
  #8  
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 1,478
https://www.united.com/ual/en/us/fli...ate=2019-10-15

nice of united to give us this API
paperwastage is online now  
Old Sep 15, 19, 9:03 am
  #9  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Location: Austin, TX
Posts: 10,218
Originally Posted by tarheelnj View Post
I was searching for a EWR-LAX itinerary, so only 12 other searches for this routing seems too low, even for just one set of dates.
I've never once believed a message like that (which I've seen on many sites, including, within the past week or so, United). I suspect that they use some very broad parameters, and the word "about" probably gives them license to stretch the truth even more.
jsloan is online now  
Old Sep 15, 19, 9:21 am
  #10  
Suspended
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Location: Economy, mostly :(
Programs: Skywards Gold
Posts: 7,664
Originally Posted by paperwastage View Post
Someone should mine that!
skywardhunter is offline  
Old Sep 15, 19, 10:43 am
  #11  
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Fort Worth, TX
Programs: UA 1K *Soon to be a free agent!, Marriott Gold *kiss that goodbye along w 1K status.
Posts: 2,282
Originally Posted by qfrodo View Post
If you ever search for hotels on Booking.com, you will see the same technique.
It's funny because it say it every single time, no matter where or what dates: Someone else may beat you to it so you better book quickly!
Does anyone fall for this?
chavala is offline  
Old Sep 15, 19, 12:08 pm
  #12  
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: SFO
Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP, Hyatt Glob, Marriott Gold, SBUX Gold
Posts: 282
Originally Posted by tarheelnj View Post
I noticed this message on my most recent flight search. Is this new and is it another attempt to create a sense of urgency to book a trip, besides listing the number of seats left for a particular fare? I was searching for a EWR-LAX itinerary, so only 12 other searches for this routing seems too low, even for just one set of dates.

And probably 10 of the 12 were already booked 1Ks that just wanted to see Expert mode so they they could tell what their upgrade chances currently were.
narvik likes this.
econ is online now  
Old Sep 15, 19, 12:20 pm
  #13  
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: GVA (Greater Vancouver Area)
Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.021MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CWC Au-197; CCC Elite; WoH Dis
Posts: 49,329
Originally Posted by chavala View Post
Does anyone fall for this?
Trivago has a commercial that spoofs this. Three different people all saying "I got the last room!"
chavala likes this.
mahasamatman is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread