Winter 2019 plane changes

Old Sep 14, 19, 1:23 pm
  #1  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Location: NYC (Primarily EWR)
Programs: UA 1K / *G; Le Club Accor Platinum; Marriott Bonvoy Gold; Hertz PC
Posts: 6,442
Winter 2019 plane changes

A number of changes, both upgauges and downgauges, that UA filed for the northern winter. Some of this is qualitative/subjective on my part / based on existing hard product. H/T to Routes Online:

Upgauges / increased frequency:
-GUM-KIX (7x to 10x weekly)
-EWR-GRU (772 to 77W)
-Second EWR-TLV (78J to 77W)
-Second EWR-FRA (772 to 77W)
-SFO-HND (789 to 78J)

Downgauges:
-IAH-LHR (772 to 764)
-LAX-PVG (maintains 789 instead of switching to 78J)
-EWR-BCN (764 to 763)
-SFO-AKL (77W to 78J)
-SFO-PEK (77W to 772)
-SFO-HKG (both frequencies on sCO 772)
-SFO-PVG (remaining on 789 after Feb. instead of 78J)
-EWR-BRU (78J to 772)
-EWR-HKG (77W to 772)
-SFO-NRT (3 of 7 weekly flights from 77W to 772)
-IAD-ZRH (764 to 763)

Some interesting ones in there, wonder if the adjustment is demand-related or due to retrofit needs.
narvik likes this.
PsiFighter37 is offline  
Old Sep 14, 19, 5:16 pm
  #2  
 
Join Date: Oct 2018
Programs: UA*G
Posts: 20
Originally Posted by PsiFighter37 View Post
Upgauges / increased frequency:
-Second EWR-FRA (772 to 77W)

...
My understanding was that this was going to remain a 78X route. In any case, don't see the additional frequency on ua.com yet, either.
aero219 is offline  
Old Sep 14, 19, 7:05 pm
  #3  
 
Join Date: May 2016
Location: SFO
Programs: UA 1k
Posts: 244
I'm booked SFO-HKG-BKK in December, and I now see that the SFO-HKG biz layout is the pmCO, you guys think this is right or just a placeholder seatmap? Why are they bringing those birds over here to SFO?

I'm trying to see if there is an alternative routing where I could stay in Polaris seat, any suggestions? I upgraded using a GPU so I'd want to have as long a flight before having to connect in Economy, so NRT would be too far for me. I suspect I may just have to suck it up...
mrt88 is online now  
Old Sep 14, 19, 8:39 pm
  #4  
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: EWR, BDL
Posts: 4,463
Originally Posted by mrt88 View Post
I'm booked SFO-HKG-BKK in December, and I now see that the SFO-HKG biz layout is the pmCO, you guys think this is right or just a placeholder seatmap? Why are they bringing those birds over here to SFO?

I'm trying to see if there is an alternative routing where I could stay in Polaris seat, any suggestions? I upgraded using a GPU so I'd want to have as long a flight before having to connect in Economy, so NRT would be too far for me. I suspect I may just have to suck it up...
It will rotate with EWR-HKG.
JOSECONLSCREW28 is offline  
Old Sep 14, 19, 9:22 pm
  #5  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: DCA/IAD/MIA/FLL/PBI
Programs: UA Lifetime GS, SQ*PPS
Posts: 10,414
SFO-PEK-SFO has been 777-200 for awhile.
UA_Flyer is offline  
Old Sep 14, 19, 11:54 pm
  #6  
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Programs: 6 year GS, now MM Jeff-ugee, *wood LTPlt, VX Gold, SkyPeso PLT
Posts: 6,275
well the projected downgage in SFO-HKG is as predicted. No way that they were going to be able to run 77W x2 on that route. I do think the sCO seat is going to be non-competitive vs SQ and CX. Also going to back to running the sCO 772 on EWR-HKG is going to be non-competitive.

HKG loads must be really, really bad...
spin88 is offline  
Old Sep 15, 19, 12:29 am
  #7  
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Location: SFO
Programs: UA 1K, Bonvoy Ti
Posts: 812
Originally Posted by spin88 View Post
well the projected downgage in SFO-HKG is as predicted. No way that they were going to be able to run 77W x2 on that route. I do think the sCO seat is going to be non-competitive vs SQ and CX. Also going to back to running the sCO 772 on EWR-HKG is going to be non-competitive.

HKG loads must be really, really bad...
They were never going to run 2x 77w SFO-HKG. It was 2x Polaris 772.
GoSh4rks is offline  
Old Sep 15, 19, 3:06 am
  #8  
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Location: SFO
Programs: UA Plat
Posts: 75
I had SFO -> HND booked for Feb and glad to see the change to actual Polaris seats today!
godbreath is offline  
Old Sep 15, 19, 1:32 pm
  #9  
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: ONT, LAX
Programs: UA1k 2.5MM, AA Plt, peasant on everybody else, elite something or other at a bunch of hotels.
Posts: 4,470
Originally Posted by UA_Flyer View Post
SFO-PEK-SFO has been 777-200 for awhile.
It was the polarized version in late July 2019.
1kBill is offline  
Old Sep 15, 19, 2:23 pm
  #10  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Location: NYC (Primarily EWR)
Programs: UA 1K / *G; Le Club Accor Platinum; Marriott Bonvoy Gold; Hertz PC
Posts: 6,442
Most surprising move IMO is EWR-GRU getting 77W.
east_west and Air Houston like this.
PsiFighter37 is offline  
Old Sep 15, 19, 8:06 pm
  #11  
 
Join Date: Oct 1999
Posts: 9,686
SFO-FRA UA926/927 uplifting to the 77W, adding 10 additional C-seats for a total of 120 business class seats daily.
Just a couple of years ago, UA 926/27 was just seasonal spring - autumn. UA seems to be doing well in that market.
cesco.g is offline  
Old Sep 16, 19, 12:29 am
  #12  
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Location: SFO
Programs: UA 1K, Bonvoy Ti
Posts: 812
Originally Posted by cesco.g View Post
SFO-FRA UA926/927 uplifting to the 77W, adding 10 additional C-seats for a total of 120 business class seats daily.
Just a couple of years ago, UA 926/27 was just seasonal spring - autumn. UA seems to be doing well in that market.
LH used to run an A380 daily to FRA, but was changed to the A340, and the A380 went to MUC (up from a A340). UA just filled in the JV gap (and then some).
GoSh4rks is offline  
Old Sep 16, 19, 5:32 am
  #13  
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Washington, DC
Programs: United Premier 1K 1MM; AA Plat; Hyatt Discoverist; Marriott Titanium; Hertz Pres Cirlce
Posts: 2,290
Glad to see UA increasing flights to KIX out of GUM. More signs the Japan market improving for Guam.
mh3265a is offline  
Old Sep 16, 19, 8:21 am
  #14  
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Posts: 4,590
Originally Posted by godbreath View Post
I had SFO -> HND booked for Feb and glad to see the change to actual Polaris seats today!
That one was a moderate surprise to me. I guess it's consistent with the general shift in focus to HND, though.
fumje is offline  
Old Sep 22, 19, 12:36 pm
  #15  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Location: NYC (Primarily EWR)
Programs: UA 1K / *G; Le Club Accor Platinum; Marriott Bonvoy Gold; Hertz PC
Posts: 6,442
Wasn't in the announcement earlier this month but searching now, I am seeing SFO-SYD being operated by the 77W. Great metal upgrade for those on that routing (at least in J).
EWR764 and whiskE_flyer like this.

Last edited by PsiFighter37; Sep 22, 19 at 12:47 pm
PsiFighter37 is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread