Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Treated Differently as an Asian Passenger

Treated Differently as an Asian Passenger

Old Sep 14, 2019, 8:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Raymoland
As someone who stands at the door saying goodbye, I try to say something to almost everyone. Occasionally I do take a brief timeout especially with certain passengers, who for reasons I don't fully get, walk up the aisle and out the door without so much as a lookup. Those passengers are less likely to get at "Buh Bye", "thanks for flying with us", "have a nice day" etc.

If you walk up, make eye contact and say something, anything, I guarantee you almost everyone in my industry will say something back to you. So I would ask the OP, forget about race for a second, what is YOUR behavior as you walk up the aisle towards those standing there? That would give us more information about what might be going on.
Is there a reason to believe OP is acting differently aboard DL flights than he is aboard UA flights?
muji likes this.
Old Sep 14, 2019, 9:10 am

Programs: IHG Diamond, Delta PM, Hilton Gold, Accor Gold, Marriott Silver
Originally Posted by Kmxu
It may be just UA vs DL things. I will pay more attention to this next time.
Delta always seems to ask about greetings & salutations on those customer satisfaction surveys they keep nagging me to fill out so I'd call it a corporate culture thing for them.
Old Sep 14, 2019, 9:11 am

Programs: DYKWIA, But I'm a "Diamond Guest" UA 1K/2MM
As someone who makes a living interpreting data, I can tell you: if you're looking for something, somehow and some way you can always find it.
cricketer, writerguyfl and mdbe like this.
Old Sep 14, 2019, 9:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Raymoland
If you walk up, make eye contact and say something, anything, I guarantee you almost everyone in my industry will say something back to you. So I would ask the OP, forget about race for a second, what is YOUR behavior as you walk up the aisle towards those standing there? That would give us more information about what might be going on.
I'm tempted to agree, except that the OP went out of his way to say that he does attempt to engage with the FAs at exit and gets ignored.

OP: I'm white, my wife is Filipina, and I've never noticed what you're saying, nor has my wife ever mentioned it. "Goodbye" seems hit or miss to both of us.

I suggest changing up your routine; if you're Chinese (guessing based on your comment about your last name), say 'zai jian' or 'zoi gin' and see what reaction you get. Or, just say "I'm right here, you know," and laugh, whenever it happens.

I find it difficult to believe that UA FAs suddenly turn racist, en masse, only when you're leaving the plane, so I imagine there must be another explanation. (Honestly, 6'1" and Asian might actually be the reason, especially if your height is mostly in your legs. You may be catching them off guard after they've interacted with you while seated the whole time). Why that wouldn't apply to DL, I can't say, except that DL has a reputation for having better service in general. (That doesn't match my experience, but I don't fly to/from EWR much).

Originally Posted by porciuscato
As someone who makes a living interpreting data, I can tell you: if you're looking for something, somehow and some way you can always find it.
Defending UA twice in one day? Are you feeling OK?
UNDLAC likes this.
Old Sep 14, 2019, 9:54 am

Well it's never nice to think people are ignoring you. But at the other extreme when ever we get off a Qatar flight the FA's come round and almost beg my husband on their knees to fly with them again soon. He say's it makes him feel very uncomfortable and embarrassed.
Old Sep 14, 2019, 9:58 am

Programs: HH Gold. (Former) UA PP, DL PM, PC Plat
I typically say something to the passengers who look at my while they are passing and don't say anything to those that don't. Some people appreciate the engagement and others prefer to be left alone.
kennycrudup, muji and MSPeconomist like this.
Old Sep 14, 2019, 10:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by jsloan
I'm tempted to agree, except that the OP went out of his way to say that he does attempt to engage with the FAs at exit and gets ignored.

OP: I'm white, my wife is Filipina, and I've never noticed what you're saying, nor has my wife ever mentioned it. "Goodbye" seems hit or miss to both of us.

I suggest changing up your routine; if you're Chinese (guessing based on your comment about your last name), say 'zai jian' or 'zoi gin' and see what reaction you get. Or, just say "I'm right here, you know," and laugh, whenever it happens.

I find it difficult to believe that UA FAs suddenly turn racist, en masse, only when you're leaving the plane, so I imagine there must be another explanation. (Honestly, 6'1" and Asian might actually be the reason, especially if your height is mostly in your legs. You may be catching them off guard after they've interacted with you while seated the whole time). Why that wouldn't apply to DL, I can't say, except that DL has a reputation for having better service in general. (That doesn't match my experience, but I don't fly to/from EWR much).

Defending UA twice in one day? Are you feeling OK?
From my read of the OP: I would guess if there is a there there, it's not that the FA's are in general actively hostile to people of Asian appearance — rather that, for some reason, the FA's have some level of discomfort for quick interaction with such people. And for some reason it happens more commonly with UA.

Maybe UA's large TPAC network and *A agreements mean they see more non-American / non-English-language Asians and have more numerous awkward interactions with them, so they default to silence out of uncertainty. Maybe attendant training doesn't emphasise greeting each passenger, and they don't as regularly stay 'on' during boarding/alighting as DL attendants do. Those are speculation on my part.

Or maybe OP is mistaken in his perception. But honestly it seems like a convincing accounting to me. It's just that after noting the observed experiences, it's hard to figure out where to go next. (Maybe the other airline.)

aside: the changed text colour palate is really messing with my quote technique.
Old Sep 14, 2019, 10:04 am

Programs: UA 1K 1.8MM
Originally Posted by fumje

aside: the changed text colour palate is really messing with my quote technique.
OT, but consider posting here amongst the numerous other issues: Software update issues: September 9, 2019
Old Sep 14, 2019, 10:54 am

Programs: UA 1K 1.9MM, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
On Asiana I would attribute the difference to the observation that you're apparently male and your wife is apparently female. In Korea, men are treated much better than women in many situations.
Not just in Korea ; )
Pat89339 and Aussienarelle like this.
Old Sep 14, 2019, 11:31 am

Programs: 1K (since 2008), *G (since 1990), 1MM
Originally Posted by KosherKimchee
My Korean wife is treated much better than me on United. I am treated much better than her on Asiana.
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
On Asiana I would attribute the difference to the observation that you're apparently male and your wife is apparently female. In Korea, men are treated much better than women in many situations.
My experience as a white female and flying on many different airlines for global corporations. Essentially ignored on middle eastern carriers, treated as second class citizen on Asian airlines. I typically flew business class. Female FAs typically treated me worse than male FAs.

I have always endeavored to be polite to all I encountered in my business career - from the cleaner to the CEO as we all.play an essential cog in the business world.. Being a female, white business executive it came with the territory in the 1990s through 2008. Did I let it upset me? No. Irritate me? On occasion. However, end goal was to get to my destination safe and alive. Always achieved.

Sorry OP has those experiences but if they are the worst thing he experiences in life he should be thankful.
Pat89339 likes this.
Old Sep 14, 2019, 11:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 1MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Amex MR; Chase UR; Hertz PC; Global Entry
Originally Posted by NYC2SGN
As an Asian American man in his 30s, I havent noticed different treatment by FAs because of my race (though Im also not looking out for it).

Another time, while flying SNA-SFO on UX in F, the FA serving our cabin didnt believe I was over 21 and refused to serve me wine. I was 28 at the time, had left my ID in my backpack, and wasnt going to get out of my seat just to prove to her my age. I know theyre required to ask for your ID when you look under the age of 35, but that experience did leave a bad taste in my mouth (I was on my way to Paris and wanted to treat myself!). She might not have asked a 28 year old white guy for his ID, but this is definitely an instance where the Asian dont raisin euphemism can definitely work against you! After that incident, my ID is always handy, though Im only ever carded on the west coast.
This cracked me up.

rickg523 likes this.
Old Sep 14, 2019, 11:43 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by fumje
From my read of the OP: I would guess if there is a there there, it's not that the FA's are in general actively hostile to people of Asian appearance — rather that, for some reason, the FA's have some level of discomfort for quick interaction with such people. And for some reason it happens more commonly with UA.

Maybe UA's large TPAC network and *A agreements mean they see more non-American / non-English-language Asians and have more numerous awkward interactions with them, so they default to silence out of uncertainty. Maybe attendant training doesn't emphasise greeting each passenger, and they don't as regularly stay 'on' during boarding/alighting as DL attendants do. Those are speculation on my part.

Or maybe OP is mistaken in his perception. But honestly it seems like a convincing accounting to me. It's just that after noting the observed experiences, it's hard to figure out where to go next. (Maybe the other airline.)

This is suggesting to me that perhaps the FAs are less comfortable interacting with customers who appear to be Asian in less formal settings (hi, bye-bye) versus the more formal "what would you like to drink with your dinner sir?". Maybe FA training tells them that Asian culture is more formal.
Aussienarelle and UNDLAC like this.
Old Sep 14, 2019, 12:23 pm

Programs: Bonvoy LTTE/AMB, AmEx Plat, National EE, WN A-List, CLEAR+, Covid-19
Originally Posted by UNDLAC
... why do ... FAs and pilots almost never proactively say goodbye to me when I'm getting off the plane
??! Count your blessings; I wish I could get them to stop
Old Sep 14, 2019, 12:37 pm
Original Poster

[deleted]
narvik and chemengin like this.

Last edited by UNDLAC; Oct 2, 2019 at 8:48 am
Old Sep 14, 2019, 12:38 pm

Programs: UA 1K, TK E+, AS MVPG, SPG&Marriott Plat, HHD, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by porciuscato
May I also add that correlation never proved causation

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.