IN / Family Trip

Old Sep 14, 19, 3:24 am
Original Poster

Programs: Diamond Hyatt; Platinum DL, AA, SPG; Gold UA
IN / Family Trip

Upcoming family trip (3 pax). 1k member with United co-brand card. Found 3x business saver availability on IAH-SYD for 80k/person using my account.

I have 160k miles for use in account.
My wife has 80k. She's silver, will be gold in two weeks. Does not have card.

I can see business saver availability; she cannot.

Any suggestions on how to use her miles to complete the booking?

e.g., add her as an 'additional cardholder' (would this work?). Or, does she see the extra avaibility when she becomes UAGold? Or, should I 'award hold' the 3x on my account and then try to convince the agent to draw the third ticket from hers account? Open to ideas...

Thanks!
Old Sep 14, 19, 4:33 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K 1MM; AS MVPG75K; Marriott Titanium; Hilton Diamond (Aspire); Hyatt Refugeeist
Originally Posted by mcavin View Post
I can see business saver availability; she cannot.
Expanded saver business (IN) is for Plat and higher. No card gives access.
Old Sep 14, 19, 8:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Kacee View Post
Expanded saver business (IN) is for Plat and higher. No card gives access.
And the 80K is almost certainly an IN price, not a JN price.

OP: Unless you have some other currency that you can convert to MileagePlus miles, the best I can suggest is to get two mileage tickets from your account, and then buy one ticket and pay miles + copay to upgrade it, using the miles from her account. If there's IN availability, there should also be PZ availability, which is what's used for upgrade space. Buy the award tickets first, but try to do both transactions as simultaneously as possible.

It's not as good of a deal as three award tickets, but you can't transfer 80K miles, and the transfer charges would be extremely expensive to boot. You could buy 80K miles, but you'd pay a lot more to buy the miles than you would to book the flight and upgrade it.
Old Sep 14, 19, 10:47 am
Moderator: United Airlines; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold 1.85MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Gold
There are two forms of enhanced Business award availability

IN - Business Saver award -- availability to elites, Plat or higher. No credit cardholder access. Note it is rare for IN to be greater than I space but it does happen

JN - Business "Everyday" award -- more expense in miles than I/IN but essentially always available, open for elites and card cardholders. Others have access to ZN instead. JN tracks J and ZN tracks Z
Old Sep 15, 19, 11:28 am

who has access to ZN?
Old Sep 15, 19, 11:46 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K 1MM; AS MVPG75K; Marriott Titanium; Hilton Diamond (Aspire); Hyatt Refugeeist
Originally Posted by bmw303 View Post
who has access to ZN?
Anyone who's willing to burn an obscene quantity of miles.

Decoding the alphabet soup - fare buckets for UA
Old Sep 15, 19, 11:49 am
Moderator: United Airlines; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold 1.85MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Gold
Originally Posted by bmw303 View Post
who has access to ZN?
Anyone, but if Z0, then ZN0.
However, elites and cardholders also have JN access.
The mileage rates are the same for both, so in essence elites / cardholders have last seat access; others do not.
Old Sep 15, 19, 12:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold, AC, AA, DL, Marriott Gold, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA View Post
Anyone, but if Z0, then ZN0.
However, elites and cardholders also have JN access.
The mileage rates are the same for both, so in essence elites / cardholders have last seat access; others do not.
Last seat access? I thought [guaranteed] last seat access on awards (either economy or business) was gone a little while ago - part of one of the last couple of rounds of cutbacks (although I admit I havenít paid particularly close attention to whether last seat access typically exists or not, but at least theoretically, they donít have to offer it).
Old Sep 15, 19, 12:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold, Marriott Gold
Hold a res for one of the seats with your account, then call and use her account to pay.

Not sure if technically allowed, but I've never had an issue with it.
Old Sep 15, 19, 1:00 pm

Programs: UA GS, Marriott Gold
Iíd call 1k line and have them book all three from the two accounts
Old Sep 15, 19, 1:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by emcampbe View Post
Last seat access? I thought [guaranteed] last seat access on awards (either economy or business) was gone a little while ago - part of one of the last couple of rounds of cutbacks (although I admit I havenít paid particularly close attention to whether last seat access typically exists or not, but at least theoretically, they donít have to offer it).
No, last-seat access is still a guaranteed benefit for both credit card holders and premier members. It's implemented through JN (business) and YN (economy). Other passengers are restricted to ZN (business) and HN (economy) for Everyday awards.
Old Sep 15, 19, 6:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Gold, Amex Plat
IN3 I0 is very rare. is there at least I1? You could buy 1 ticket from the one account and then 2 more from your account.
Old Sep 15, 19, 8:55 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by cfischer View Post
IN3 I0 is very rare.
I've seen it but agree IN3 I1 would be more likely.
Old Sep 16, 19, 9:03 am

Programs: UA 1K, DL PM, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
IN leading I has been getting more and more common in my experience. Agree IN3 I1 is more common, but IN3 I0 would not surprise me.

It's probably worth calling the 1K line and seeing if they will split-tender the miles into the IN space. Not really a policy thing, but they might be nice.

Search this Thread