Polaris Pajama Shenanigans

Old Sep 14, 19, 12:01 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA Gold, Avis Chairman, Starwood Gold, Hilton Gold, GA Pilot
Polaris Pajama Shenanigans

My wife flies paid business class TLV-EWR and back once a month on UA for work - she's free to choose whatever airline she wants. While the "Polaris Pajama" thread on this forum says that EWR-TLV doesn't officially give pajamas, she has gotten them on every flight. On her most recent flight home from EWR to TLV, she asked a crew member while they were on the ground for a pair of pajamas. She was told that because the flight is less than 12 hours, she wouldn't get any. She explained that not only did they give them out on every flight she has been on this year, but that on the menus they handed out, it said specifically that they would be giving out Pajamas (both in English and Hebrew so they can't say it wasn't meant for this route). Crew member didn't care. Wife asks to speak to the purser - gets the same message. Then asks for someone more senior than that - gets referred to "Jim" who is introduced as the "Global Services Rep" (A ground rep?) who grudgingly hands her a pair of large/Extra-large saying that's all they had (she's a small/medium). She explained to Jim that if they print on the menus on the plane that they are giving pajamas then they should actually live up to it and give everyone pajamas who asks rather than making it seem like they are doing the passengers a favor.

Jim's response..."You're welcome to fly El Al next time instead" (!)

Shortly after Jim left, the crew went and handed out pajamas to all of the business class passengers, including exchanging my wife's extra large for a medium.

All I can say is, WTH?

As of today's date she's spent over $32,000 with UA so far this year and if you include me and our kids for personal/work travel we have collectively spent over $40k on UA. I'm kind of thinking we should take Jim up on his offer if this is the way UA wants to treat their customers. Any thoughts on how to make sure UA corrects their crew/staff attitudes? I don't care about getting thrown some points for "compensation" or whatever - I just want the staff to learn how to behave properly!

Old Sep 14, 19, 12:09 am
Moderator: United Airlines; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold 1.85MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Gold
Originally Posted by NYTA View Post
.... Shortly after Jim left, the crew went and handed out pajamas to all of the business class passengers, including exchanging my wife's extra large for a medium.
Perhaps they were initially out of stock but managed to get some.
What would be the purpose of initially say no and then handing them out to everyone?
Old Sep 14, 19, 12:19 am

Programs: UA 1K 2MM
Maybe there would be a wine list offered if she flew El Al business class the next time.
Old Sep 14, 19, 1:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Gold, Amex Plat
if that is a problem for you and your wife, indeed, fly El Al. Good luck with the El Al pajamas.
gmt4 likes this.
Old Sep 14, 19, 1:28 am

Programs: UA 1K3MM, MR LT Plat, Hilton Gold
Sigh - really - gosh a bit much
gmt4 likes this.
Old Sep 14, 19, 1:45 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA View Post
Perhaps they were initially out of stock but managed to get some.
What would be the purpose of initially say no and then handing them out to everyone?
That's one of the many things about this that I can't figure out. If the policy is that they aren't going to give pajamas then fine, but if the policy is that they will and they even print on the menus for the specific flight that they will, then they should do what they are supposed to, and not suggest that loyal customers fly another airline when they don't provide the services they advertise.
narvik likes this.
Old Sep 14, 19, 1:55 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by cfischer View Post
if that is a problem for you and your wife, indeed, fly El Al. Good luck with the El Al pajamas.
The UA employees seem to share your opinion on what airline their TLV based customers should fly.
Old Sep 14, 19, 2:02 am

The purser should have known what is their plan for pajamas.

From my limited experience on that route I found the staff to be less professional and over friendly with some passengers.
Old Sep 14, 19, 4:22 am

Programs: UA 1K, Alaska MVP 75K
I think it was an error on the menus and when pointed out to them they decided to honor it. I have a hard time believing they handed out to all, since the normal practice is to only give them on request.
Old Sep 14, 19, 4:26 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K 1MM; AS MVPG75K; Marriott Titanium; Hilton Diamond (Aspire); Hyatt Refugeeist
I can't imagine making such a fuss over pajamas. I stopped asking for them after about 4 pairs, I just bring the bottoms from one of the old pairs.
Old Sep 14, 19, 4:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: No programs & No Points!!!
Why do people much such a big deal over pyjamas.?
Old Sep 14, 19, 4:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Annalisa12 View Post
Bananas in pajamas, perhaps?

Just because you donít need them, doesnít mean others donít. I grab a pair to bring home for family members every flight that offers them.
notquiteaff likes this.
Old Sep 14, 19, 4:56 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Annalisa12 View Post
It's not about the pajamas. It's about the airline not providing something they say they will provide and then suggesting to the customer that they fly another airline if they are unhappy with the poor service/attitude. Would have been the same if after showing the menu suddenly they had said there wouldn't be any meals served.
Old Sep 14, 19, 5:12 am

Programs: UA 1K MM, Hertz PC, BAEC Silver
This is an excellent example of why UA continues to get terrible reviews for service. Itís not about pajamas, itís about the attitude of too many of the customer facing employees. I do my best to avoid interactions of any nature with FAs. My wife, who is more of a people person but who inherits my 1K status, instead does her best to avoid UA and flies competing airlines with no status by preference.
nancypants, jashsu and Pittie Pup like this.
Old Sep 14, 19, 5:24 am

Just got off a TPAC Polaris flight; the crew went down the aisle passing out PJs and mattress pad to all. (On another note, miles already posted mid flight)

Search this Thread