Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Kirby says UA has to compete on quality

Search this Thread

Old Sep 14, 2019, 4:18 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1.8MM
Originally Posted by AsiaTravel2019
How about a fully interactive menu where you can order whatever you want at any time, built into the IFE? I think I used that on NH or BR or OZ, can't remember which. Very nice feature.
NZ had that IIRC, but not sure if still ongoing, or specific to certain routes/planes.
Old Sep 14, 2019, 4:19 pm

Programs: UA 1K, DL PM, AA Nobody, Marriott Ambassador Elite
That could be a quality enhancement for Kirby. Not have to interact with the wicked witches of the galley!
Old Sep 14, 2019, 5:36 pm
Suspended

U know Kirby laughs at elites right before he goes to bed every night
iluv2fly likes this.
Old Sep 14, 2019, 6:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by sanfran8080
U know Kirby laughs at elites right before he goes to bed every night
And yet we’re his bread and butter.
Old Sep 14, 2019, 7:05 pm

Programs: Mileage Plus 1K; Marriott Platinum; Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by milepig
And yet we’re his bread and butter.
Perhaps he is on a keto diet?
Old Sep 14, 2019, 7:19 pm

Programs: Marriott Titanium; WN A-list; UA Silver
Originally Posted by narvik
NZ had that IIRC, but not sure if still ongoing, or specific to certain routes/planes.
ANZ definitely had that circa 2014, at least in PE and J on 773s (LHR-LAX-AKL), but I haven't flown them recently.

I'm also about 50% sure FI had that in J when I flew KEF-SEA around then, but I was pretty exhausted on that flight.
Old Sep 14, 2019, 8:33 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1.8MM
Originally Posted by nmpls
ANZ definitely had that circa 2014, at least in PE and J on 773s (LHR-LAX-AKL), but I haven't flown them recently.
..and it didn't work very well.
All good and fine to be able to select food & beverages from your screen. It still needs an FA to bring them to you.
Can't see this working with UA!
Old Sep 15, 2019, 8:08 pm
Suspended

I wouldn’t be so sure of that
Old Sep 15, 2019, 11:50 pm

Programs: 6 year GS, now 2MM Jeff-ugee, *wood LTPlt, SkyPeso PLT
Originally Posted by transportprof
There must be an economic downturn coming. That's when US airlines start focusing on the quality of their services.
Yes, there is an economic downturn coming, and that may cause UA to want to fix some of these things (if Kirby is serious) now, before they have the savvy analysis baying at them to cut costs when their profits slide. But if Kirby is saying this, its because their metrics internally are saying what people on this board have been saying for 6+ years of "changes you will like" which is that service quality impacts buying decisions. I argued that cutting IFE while Delta was rolling out screens on every plane (including retrofitting the 717s with sceens) would be a long term competitive disadvange. Ditto the micro mini-bathrooms (24" of squeeze) and aweful seats.

Having just flown SFO-SEA on the DL A220 and then UA back on an A319, I can tell you that having screens and seats that don't cut off leaving your legs dangling definitely will drive my buying decision. Ditto avoiding the seats/bathrooms on the Dark 739s UA flies. I was willing to slightly modify my schedule, and next four trips are all on DL.

Originally Posted by j2simpso
I completely agree with Kirby here and here's to hoping he's genuine with the comments he's making. I suspect this is the case given the recent enhancements DL has made to their services over time putting UA in the uncomfortable spot of being worse than DL but not so bad as AA (i.e. no competitive advantage). Arguably the first thing that needs improvements are the United Clubs, they are a sorry shell of their former self. No showers, limited food and beverage options (i.e. I'm lucky if I can get cheese and crackers), dated furniture. They make the club so exclusive to get into by limiting access to elites traveling internationally, or UA Club members flying *A yet don't offer the goods travellers need.
My parents take 3-4 trips a year in F/J. They just took DL for the first time via ATL, and were pleasantly surprised. Said the Delta lounges were much, much better than UAs, or AAs, and they said the aircraft screens allowed them to watch movies on the domestic legs. My mom is also super excited that they can take a shower at Hotlanta on the way back in two weeks. And oh, they said the Delta food was better than that on AA or UA.

My mom's comment was she understood why I preferred to fly on DL where possible.

Originally Posted by wco81
Hunter Keay will be baying at the moon. He can tell you how stupid it is to care about service or product quality, people buy on price and schedule. Or so we have been told non-stop for the last six years everytime UA make a "change you will like"
Old Sep 16, 2019, 12:42 am

Programs: AC 25K, AS MVP Gold, BA Bronze, UA Silver, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by narvik
Agree with most points except the quoted part above: it's a massive undertaking to retrofit all planes, and I reckon they're doing a decently fast job with it.
Of course, this is coming from someone who prefers the old pmCO 77Y to its retrofitted Polaris version (mainly due to 3-3-3 vs. 3-4-3, the large toilet, and seat 8E).
Air Canada redid their J, introduced PY, and reconfigured Y on 25 777s from Sept '15 to Jun '16; ten months. United only hit 25 retrofitted planes in Dec 2018, two years since Polaris was announced.

They've accelerated significantly since then and now they are actually going at a good rate, but we're approaching three years and not even 60% of the retrofits are done on the 763 and 772; they've done 52/89 planes. That's also not including the zero retrofits so far on the 764 and the 788/789.

The only thing that makes the numbers look somewhat acceptable are the 773 and 787-10 deliveries
Old Sep 16, 2019, 12:57 am

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by IAH-OIL-TRASH
I’ll have to disagree on this. The SFO Polaris Lounge is an improvement over the SFO GFL, which was pretty sad. Outside of “exclusively” and maybe a bit more attentive staff at LHR and HKG, I’d say the Polaris Lounges are on par with the other former GFLs.

The Polaris lounges are a big investment for UA and a bump for the vast majority of front cabin flyers who were mostly in BF, not GF, which seemed populated by non-revs more often than not.

Also agreed the SFO Polaris lounge is great and above the old GFL at SFO

I overall do feel UA quality (in polaris) compared to ANA Business or AC Business is just lacking, the FA's just need to be nicer, If I ask for something don't act as if you are bending the rules to give it to me. Also please do not disappear after meal service until 1.5 Hrs from landing....
Old Sep 16, 2019, 4:36 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1k AC 50k BA gold
If united wants to compete it needs to buy the A220s, I was on the Swiss A220 last week and to use the line from the last UA president its a "Game Change" the plane is simply spectacular.
Its also time to improve domestic business class meals now that UA is actually selling these seats rather than giving them away.
Old Sep 16, 2019, 5:38 am

Programs: United Premier 1K 1MM; AA Plat Pro; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott Platinum; Avis President's Club
Like previous experiences at US Airways, is Kirby seeing something in the balance sheet that is making him attune to the need for compete on quality? I think the devaluation of MileagePlus is a huge huge huge negative. At some point, in a future Administration, there will be regulation of these loyalty programs.
Billygreg and oopl like this.
Old Sep 16, 2019, 10:18 am

Programs: 6 year GS, now 2MM Jeff-ugee, *wood LTPlt, SkyPeso PLT
Originally Posted by mh3265a
Like previous experiences at US Airways, is Kirby seeing something in the balance sheet that is making him attune to the need for compete on quality? I think the devaluation of MileagePlus is a huge huge huge negative.
My personal history is as someone who spent $50K+/year on UA pre Smisik. People would ask me why I flew such a bad airline and I would says (a) they actually treat their elites well, I'm protected to a great extent from poor service and (b) I get miles that I use one or twice a year for a family vacation overseas in reward J.

Jeff in 2012 took away the better service for elites while cutting the quality of the product AND he make redemption much, much less easy to get, and more expensive. At this point, I see no advantage in MileageMinus. I can't find workable rewards, and the miles UA wants is ridiculous. Basically its a 1 c/mile bonus program at this point. Delta has a similar 1c/mile bonus program called SkyPeso. The different is that Delta has the A220, it has IFE on its planes, it does not have horrible 10x in Y on widebodies, it does not have the torture seats UA put on the A319/A320, it does not have the 24" Boeing slim line bathrooms, its lounges have showers, it's wine is drinkable in Domestic F, and actually good in J, it's staff is usually both more accommodating and pleasant and is authorized to fix things, and its food (both in domestic F and J) is better.

United has a junky reward program as does DL, but it also has much worse product and service. On the routes I typically fly I have options, and UA is distinctly NOT competitive at this point, outside of the few times that they are materially cheaper, I can use an AMEX Lounge in their terminal, and the flight is short.
demkr likes this.
Old Sep 16, 2019, 10:37 am

Programs: United Premier 1K 1MM; AA Plat Pro; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott Platinum; Avis President's Club
Originally Posted by spin88
My personal history is as someone who spent $50K+/year on UA pre Smisik. People would ask me why I flew such a bad airline and I would says (a) they actually treat their elites well, I'm protected to a great extent from poor service and (b) I get miles that I use one or twice a year for a family vacation overseas in reward J.

Jeff in 2012 took away the better service for elites while cutting the quality of the product AND he make redemption much, much less easy to get, and more expensive. At this point, I see no advantage in MileageMinus. I can't find workable rewards, and the miles UA wants is ridiculous. Basically its a 1 c/mile bonus program at this point. Delta has a similar 1c/mile bonus program called SkyPeso. The different is that Delta has the A220, it has IFE on its planes, it does not have horrible 10x in Y on widebodies, it does not have the torture seats UA put on the A319/A320, it does not have the 24" Boeing slim line bathrooms, its lounges have showers, it's wine is drinkable in Domestic F, and actually good in J, it's staff is usually both more accommodating and pleasant and is authorized to fix things, and its food (both in domestic F and J) is better.

United has a junky reward program as does DL, but it also has much worse product and service. On the routes I typically fly I have options, and UA is distinctly NOT competitive at this point, outside of the few times that they are materially cheaper, I can use an AMEX Lounge in their terminal, and the flight is short.
Couldn't agree more. I thought UA was turning a corner in 2015/2016 but things have gone downhill. Getting the same food menus flying to Asia for the past 5/6 years is pathetic. I'm looking towards American but the pasture isn't necessarily greener on that side either. And it's probably a question of when they jump ship to match UA and DL.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.