Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

How many lifetime miles do you have and how long did it take?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

How many lifetime miles do you have and how long did it take?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 17, 2019, 6:11 am

Programs: UA MP (1K, 1MM)
1.13M in 18 years

At first I was just hoping to keep getting Gold status every year to use the fast security lanes at the airport and free access to E+ (this was in the early 2000s and before TSA PreCheck and CLEAR were things). Then one year I hit 1K and loved the free upgrades (which actually cleared) and was hooked.

Off and on I've tried to keep at least Platinum (once it became a thing) but work + life sometimes did not make that easy to do.

Was hoping to hit 1MM by the time I turned 40 ... missed it by a year. Living overseas now for 2 years with work-related travel for the first time, I should keep hitting 1K for the next few years.

My next goal is 2M by the time I'm 50 Not sure if I'll make it, but hey ... it's a goal!
Old Sep 17, 2019, 6:26 am

Programs: UA MM GS, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by mrt88
Joined the program in October 2014, so about 5 years ago. So far at ~400k lifetime miles. Initially I did 50/50 UA vs. LH travel as I do prefer them to fly with, so I missed out on a bunch of lifetime miles. Now moved over to mostly UA on the intercontinental legs. When on points I'll redeem on other carriers though.

UA makes it quite a bit harder vs. AA for lifetime miles by excluding the rest of *A (similarly on the PQD front by not giving them on non-016 tickets). My behavior is as a result exactly as they want it to, strongly prioritizing UA spend over other *A.
I am in a similar boat. Initially all LH with SEN Status, then flying UA and crediting to LH. Then fly a lot of LH credited to UA for status because I preferred the experience. . Only once I started chasing GS I really focused on UA metal. While I did like LH (and in particular that stretch of time when you could upgrade P fares via GPU to F) GS is worth it and I wish I’d focused on it earlier.

Only at 892k LTM. Hope to get to 1MM mid next year. My wife would sure like the GS status as well.
Old Sep 17, 2019, 6:33 am

Programs: United 1MM
1.024M miles and it's been 15 years. About 250K of those were on Star Alliance partners, and when the the merger with Continental occurred, my "lifetime miles" jumped a lot. I lucked out from that merger.
narvik and mrt88 like this.
Old Sep 22, 2019, 2:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott LTPP/Platinum Premier, Hyatt Lame-ist, UA !K
1MM, 27 years.

fwiw: UA Million Miler/Multi-Million Miler Roll Call Thread

That being said, was at 267K after 20 years (2012) and just cleared 500K BIS in 2015. At that time I thought it would likely take another 20 years if I was lucky since most of my flying (and most of the 1MM) is domestic.

David
Old Sep 22, 2019, 6:01 pm

Programs: BA Bronze, United 1K, HH Gold, SPG Platinum, Marriott Platinum
I just hit 300,000 Lifetime miles in 3 years. Prior to that I flew my country's flagship, Northwest, US Airways (USAir), BA, Delta, KLM, American Airlines, etc....It was in 1982 that I took my first flight and I have nothing to show for all those years of flying.

My wife is at 224,00 Lifetime miles in 3 years. Prior to that she flew her country's flagship (different than mine), Air France, Finnair, Alitalia, KLM, Delta, US Airways (USAir), Iberia, BA, American Airlines, Pan Am, Qantas, Lufthansa, Garuda, Thai Airways, Aerolineas Argentinas, TACA, Avianca, etc.... She took her first flight in 1960 and she has nothing to show for all those years of flying....except good memories of all her travel.
Old Sep 24, 2019, 1:49 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
513,845. My first United flights were in January of 2004 so it's been a little slow. In that time I managed to make MM on AA thanks to both their former policy of counting all miles and their current policy of counting all partner EQMs.
Old Sep 24, 2019, 1:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond, Hertz PC
It took me almost 20 years to hit 1MM. But 2 years later, I'm already at 1.25MM. The merger between CO and UA went a long way, as then I had to move from Gold to 1K to get all the benefits I was used to (100% RDM bonus, upgrades) before merger. Now with a wife in EU, I'm pushing towards 150K a year, where I used to just be happy at 50. Ask me in 7 years if 2MM was worth it.
8MiHi likes this.
Old Oct 10, 2019, 12:30 pm

Programs: UA 1.65M , Platinum, 1K Emeritus, UC Lifetime , HHonors Gold, Presidential Plus card holder
Originally Posted by aacharya
It took me almost 20 years to hit 1MM. But 2 years later, I'm already at 1.25MM. The merger between CO and UA went a long way, as then I had to move from Gold to 1K to get all the benefits I was used to (100% RDM bonus, upgrades) before merger. Now with a wife in EU, I'm pushing towards 150K a year, where I used to just be happy at 50. Ask me in 7 years if 2MM was worth it.
If you get there organically, taking only the trips that you are meant to take, then there can be no regrets. I am in a similar position at 1.5MM but only running at 50k BIS. Made 1MM on PMCO. I would like to get to 2MM, not for the perks, but for the travel on the way.
Old Oct 10, 2019, 1:01 pm

Programs: UA 1K, National Car EE, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, Marriott Platnium/Lifetime Silver
I want to say I joined 21, at most 22 years ago (I'm just abou tto turn 37) and am currently at 1.04MM this year. (Just passed million miles this year). however about 10 years ago I was maybe 1/3 of the way since I've been employed by various companies with increasing amounts of travel (about 100-125k/year in my current position).Hoping by the time I'm 55 I can get to 3 million.

I'll probably end this year 1.07 million lifetime miles this year.

Getting all these miles on domestic segments is rough!
Old Oct 10, 2019, 2:02 pm

Programs: UA Plat MM, AA Gold MM, Marriott LTT, Hyatt Globalist
1.288MM, ~1MM since 2007. Flew almost exclusively USAir out of PHL from 1985-2006 and had 1MM BIS on USAir, and UA TPAC flights credited to USAir when USAir was part of *A (BIS which would have counted on UA but not on USAir). Converted from USAir/AA when I found out there were no benefits nor Lifetime status for USAir MM Mile Flyer (AA MM is now Lifetime Gold or lowest level Elite), whereas UA MM was Lifetime Gold.with international Lounge access.

I wish I had moved over from USAir to UA much sooner, so I'd be over 2MM and half way to 3MM now.
Old Oct 10, 2019, 2:55 pm

Programs: UA 4 million miler; Hilton goldMarriott platinum elite
4,157,242 miles accumulated since about 1985. Have had GS status every year since it started (and 1K before that) and since clearing 4MM will have GS status going forward no matter how few UA miles I fly. But since clearing 4MM I am still doing three or four transpacific per year (all in front cabin) plus domestic travel so logging north of 150K miles/ year. I cleared 1MM quite a few years when UA was awarding lifetime Red Carpet Club membership (maybe they still are). Checking the details on line I see my membership actually expires in 2099!
Old Oct 10, 2019, 3:39 pm
Suspended

Joined OnePass and MileagePlus in 1996. Mostly flew CO and NW. Now sitting at 2.7M at 45, so hoping to make 3M by 50. Then I’m done. Not worth chasing 4M for GS. Still doing 125k/year so should make it assuming the travel stays consistent.
exerda likes this.
Old Oct 10, 2019, 3:42 pm

Programs: United 1K, Marriott Platinum Elite
Been flying for work the past 9.5 years, 98% all domestic flights out of MCI. I have acquired 500,465 miles in that time, making 1k status on segments vs miles, in fact, I have never made any status with miles to date.
Old Oct 10, 2019, 4:01 pm

Programs: UA 1K and MM, Marriot, Hilton
approximately 900K, since 2005. was mainly a Usair person until they dropped out of star alliance, big mistake choosing them over United for so many years. also, took way too many Lufthansa, Austrian, Star Alliance partner flights for a few years. hope to hit 1mm Q3 2020
Old Oct 10, 2019, 5:53 pm

Programs: UA Lifetime Plat; 2 MM; Amex Rewards; Hyatt Plat; Marriott Plat.
2.3 million over 31 years. I do not fly much anymore but appreciate the lifetime Platinum. (until they change the rules.)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.