FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   United Airlines | MileagePlus (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus-681/)
-   -   United Airlines Kicks Elderly Professor Couple Off Late-Night Flight (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus/1987073-united-airlines-kicks-elderly-professor-couple-off-late-night-flight.html)

Michael El Sep 13, 2019 3:43 pm

The waitresses in the sky think of themselves as cops so I always believe the pax side of the story.

jsloan Sep 13, 2019 3:45 pm

Originally Posted by Jessie and Guill (Post 31522461)
Turns out one must have at least 5 posts before one can post a ytube link.
We will do two more posts

You're going to find that you also need to wait 24 hours after your first five posts. It's a security feature that's designed to help prevent spam from automated bots.

Originally Posted by jsloan (Post 31521969)
The attitude that "the customer is always right" is one of the biggest problems that we have as a culture, because it leads to service employees being treated like dirt.

Originally Posted by Michael El (Post 31522465)
The waitresses in the sky think of themselves as cops so I always believe the pax side of the story.

Case in point.

Jessie and Guill Sep 13, 2019 3:48 pm

We hope our story heightens UA management's awareness that its policies and procedures have failed to protect passengers.

We further hope UA management continues to improve their policies and procedures.

Thanks for the heads-up on the 24 hour wait period. We will post it tmw pm.

narvik Sep 13, 2019 3:53 pm

Originally Posted by Jessie and Guill (Post 31522448)
Happy to.
I tapped her elbow because i was seated and could not reach her shoulder.
I needed to show her the BP because she had, long before i tapped her elbow, threatened to remove us from the flight because we refused to leave our seat (which was assigned to us days before and we were seated by the time the passenger with duplicated seat assignment).
We waited for the PIRC review process to complete before telling pur story. PIRC released its decision at the end of August.

Notwithstanding jsloan's post No. 76 (:)), are you pleased with the article linked in post No. 1 by Michael Goldstein?
That was all contributors to this thread have been going by.

rickg523 Sep 13, 2019 3:56 pm

Originally Posted by narvik (Post 31522493)
Notwithstanding jsloan's post No. 76 (:)), are you pleased with the article linked in post No. 1 by Michael Goldstein?
That was all contributors to this thread have been going by.

^
That's a really interesting question. We so rarely ever get a chance to hear the perspective of the subject of an article to the actual published story.

ToddSpam Sep 13, 2019 4:00 pm

"Professors"

Originally Posted by leonidas (Post 31519613)
https://www.forbes.com/sites/michael.../#680ddfc36639

Seems like another David Dao type case. Anyone on that flight saw what happened?

Why don't airlines, and perhaps people in general, realize that professors are a special class and treat them as such. Especially when stories like this have that in the title because it is very relevent.

This terrible incident reminds me of the woman removed from a SW flight a few years back related to the presence of a dog on board. Her last lines after being forcefully removed were" I'm a professor!" They ddn't seem to get hte message either

canadiancow Sep 13, 2019 4:04 pm

Given that most people in this thread have clearly never had a run-in with an airline's corporate security department, I'm surprised at the attitudes. Maybe not surprised, but annoyed.

Your post basically sums up my thoughts.

I have seen flight attendants get annoyed, report made-up occurrences, and cause all kinds of issues for passengers who did nothing wrong.

HkCaGu Sep 13, 2019 4:25 pm

Originally Posted by canadiancow (Post 31522514)
I have seen flight attendants get annoyed, report made-up occurrences, and cause all kinds of issues for passengers who did nothing wrong.

Good chance both parties (not gate agents) are LAX based so potential future conflicts had to be resolved.

Time of day also favor throwing pax off the flight instead of crew as there were probably no available reserves by that time if a crew was deemed unfit for duty.

FLYMSY Sep 13, 2019 4:44 pm

Originally Posted by wco81 (Post 31521598)
What could she have possibly done to the stewardess?

Welcome to the 1950s. Back to the future.

Sheesh. :td:

prestonh Sep 13, 2019 5:09 pm

Originally Posted by jsloan (Post 31521622)
Any unwanted touching is assault. (Not all assaults will be, or should be, prosecuted). And, again, I'm assuming this is painted as rosily as possible for the soon-to-be-plaintiffs.

Not really. There are usually 4 elements in criminal assault. Intent to do harm, reasonable belief you are going be harmed or offended, immininent harm or it's threat must be the direct result of the threat and the actions must present a physical threat or offensive behavior to the victim.

In this case with the information at hand the hurdles would be intent and the reasonableness of a tap on the elbow.

arttravel Sep 13, 2019 6:04 pm

Now there is another website post retelling the story but here the 'writer' seems to have embellished the story a bit, claiming that the passengers "grabbed" the flight attendant,

"When the couple tried to show one of the flight attendants their boarding passes, they grabbed the elbow to get the attention of one of the attendants and chaos ensued."

https://www.msn.com/en-us/travel/new...S24?li=BBnbfcL

fumje Sep 13, 2019 6:11 pm

Originally Posted by Jessie and Guill (Post 31522399)
Rickg523, thank you for your thoughtful analysis. We are the couple in the story. We would like to submit a video, which shows Jessie walking up to the FA (FA had threatened to take us off the flight and was talking to other crew members near the cockpit, presumably about the same) to show the FA the BP. Jessie started off saying that Jessie did not want troubles and before Jessie could finish her sentence, the FA said aggressively/yelled that "you are coming out...you are coming out". FARK does not accept mp4 file. We will make it into a ytube file and provides the link as soon as it is done. The video will further shows the FA being substantially taller.

Welcome to flyertalk! It's good to have the horse drinking water directly from its mouth. Or however that goes. ;) That's all I want to contribute to this discussion at this time.

onthesam Sep 13, 2019 6:30 pm

Originally Posted by Jessie and Guill (Post 31522399)
Rickg523, thank you for your thoughtful analysis. We are the couple in the story. We would like to submit a video, which shows Jessie walking up to the FA (FA had threatened to take us off the flight and was talking to other crew members near the cockpit, presumably about the same) to show the FA the BP. Jessie started off saying that Jessie did not want troubles and before Jessie could finish her sentence, the FA said aggressively/yelled that "you are coming out...you are coming out". FARK does not accept mp4 file. We will make it into a ytube file and provides the link as soon as it is done. The video will further shows the FA being substantially taller.

He says “United made all these promises”
The invoking Dao; the coming onto internet forums to drop videos of questionable integrity; the general tone of the article -- all serve to impugn the integrity of the story.

mmack Sep 13, 2019 7:48 pm

Originally Posted by Jessie and Guill (Post 31522448)
Happy to.
I tapped her elbow because i was seated and could not reach her shoulder.
I needed to show her the BP because she had, long before i tapped her elbow, threatened to remove us from the flight because we refused to leave our seat (which was assigned to us days before and we were seated by the time the passenger with duplicated seat assignment).
We waited for the PIRC review process to complete before telling pur story. PIRC released its decision at the end of August.

Turns out one must have at least 5 posts before one can post a ytube link.
We will do two more posts

You were seated, yet you have a video that shows you walking up to the FA in the front of the plane? A little inconsistent.

MSPeconomist Sep 13, 2019 7:52 pm

Originally Posted by mmack (Post 31522970)
You were seated, yet you have a video that shows you walking up to the FA in the front of the plane? A little inconsistent.

It's two people. One can walk while the other records.