FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   United Airlines | MileagePlus (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus-681/)
-   -   United Airlines Kicks Elderly Professor Couple Off Late-Night Flight (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus/1987073-united-airlines-kicks-elderly-professor-couple-off-late-night-flight.html)

mduell Sep 18, 2019 7:24 am

Originally Posted by DenverBrian (Post 31536299)
The difference, according to our millennia-long social compact, is that service providers should be trained to handle difficult situations, while consumers are not required to take such training. @:-)

Holy arbitrary, imaginary goalposts batman.

threeoh Sep 18, 2019 8:21 am

Originally Posted by quantumslip (Post 31536243)
What we honestly need is other people on that flight to speak up. Right now we have too much they said / they said. I'm not sure if we'll ever get that though.

No, what we have is "they said / they're not commenting".

seenitall Sep 18, 2019 8:47 am

The pax claimed it was an elbow tap. We have no proof that the physical "assault" was exactly that. Maybe it was grab or a pinch. We only have one side of the story. But note that since the PIRC did not decide to ban the pax from UA, it would seem that it viewed the assault to be relatively benign.

Silver Fox Sep 18, 2019 8:50 am

One man's freedom fighter, is another man's terrorist.

narvik Sep 18, 2019 10:17 am

Originally Posted by seenitall (Post 31537960)
The pax claimed it was an elbow tap. We have no proof that the physical "assault" was exactly that. Maybe it was grab or a pinch. We only have one side of the story. But note that since the PIRC did not decide to ban the pax from UA, it would seem that it viewed the assault to be relatively benign.

Aye.
Since it was elevated to PIRC in the first place (I assume this isn't a particularly painless experience for the FA either, and likely a time consuming, stressfull and unfulfilling event for all), my best guess is that what is referred to as an "elbow tap" is likely best described as an ELBOW GRAB & SHAKE.
That would fit the tone of the news article, the circumstance of the event, the likely state-of-mind of the pax and also explain the FA's discomfort.

Wasn't there. Just a gut feeling. Possibly wrong

quantumslip Sep 18, 2019 11:25 am

Originally Posted by threeoh (Post 31537865)
No, what we have is "they said / they're not commenting".

no, we do have a form of they/they said (in the form of the report from United). What I meant is that we need 3rd party witnesses to comment on this, because even if the FA spoke up right now it will still be they said / they said.

scracer14 Sep 18, 2019 12:26 pm

Originally Posted by quantumslip (Post 31538703)
no, we do have a form of they/they said (in the form of the report from United). What I meant is that we need 3rd party witnesses to comment on this, because even if the FA spoke up right now it will still be they said / they said.

I was unable to find the report searching through this thread, is it publicly available? I did find where the passengers who were removed posted some quotes from thier response, and where they asaid the PIRC corroborated thier version of the events. Unfortunately both the latter are still they said instances...

eng3 Sep 18, 2019 12:47 pm

Originally Posted by narvik (Post 31537524)
Agreed. By the time it goes to PIRC, the passenger has already been deemed guilty.

The poster and article author seem to think PIRC is analogous to a trial where it seems to be more like the sentencing phase (or perhaps sentencing review phase).

narvik Sep 18, 2019 1:33 pm

Originally Posted by eng3 (Post 31539059)
The poster and article author seem to think PIRC is analogous to a trial where it seems to be more like the sentencing phase (or perhaps sentencing review phase).

Exactly.
The reply they request that be submitted within 96 hours is probably not going to sway them in any significant way, although it might dampen the harshness of the "sentence" somewhat.

s0ssos Sep 18, 2019 5:50 pm

Originally Posted by eng3 (Post 31539059)

Naw, being the focus of a FT thread is basically undergoing trial

Silver Fox Sep 19, 2019 7:05 am

Why can't the video be loaded again? Seems odd in light of other data that is being posted here.

ainternational Sep 19, 2019 11:01 am

Originally Posted by bagwell (Post 31520638)
The gate agent only goes by what the computer system gives them for seat assignments, so it wasn't the gate agent that actually assigned dupe seats. May have been a software/computer glitch or something.....I fly twice a week on United and I can't EVER remember seeing dupe seat assignments, except when a PAX is looking at their connecting flight boarding pass in error or back in the old days before the computer assignments.

You need to fly more. I see this at least once a month. I fly daily.

eng3 Sep 19, 2019 2:19 pm

Originally Posted by s0ssos (Post 31539991)
Naw, being the focus of a FT thread is basically undergoing trial

Yes, but I refer to PIRC not FT :)

HNLbasedFlyer Sep 19, 2019 2:25 pm

Originally Posted by Silver Fox (Post 31541554)
Why can't the video be loaded again? Seems odd in light of other data that is being posted here.

I suspect if a favorable video exists it would have been on the internet a long time ago.....

In my opinion, the Dao situation ends up very differently if there was no video