Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

United Airlines Kicks Elderly Professor Couple Off Late-Night Flight

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

United Airlines Kicks Elderly Professor Couple Off Late-Night Flight

Search this Thread

Old Sep 16, 2019, 11:13 pm
Suspended

Programs: AA ExPlat, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Spire, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by jsloan
If the passengers had paid for E+, for example, it makes sense to request a reprinted boarding pass to make sure that the refund request will go through as smoothly as possible; this is doubly true for a cabin downgrade. If not, the only real reason to ask for a new copy of the boarding pass is to ensure that the GA/FA has gone through the correct re-seating process, if you think you're being disadvantaged by "shenanigans," such as being moved to accommodate an NRSA. The idea here is that you would force an unscrupulous agent to create a paper trail of something they weren't planning to log, and that they'd therefore back down.

If the passengers had said, "that's fine; can we get a copy of the boarding pass?" I suspect either (a) that would have been provided, (b) the agent would have looked exasperatedly at them and said "refresh it in your app," or (c) the agent would have given in and told the other passengers to move. Option (d), being deplaned for questioning the FA's authority, seems remote.
But that's the thing: I'm not even talking about shenanigans here. Given all of the hoops and legalities associated with modern U.S. air travel, it seems odd that a passenger sitting in the seat shown on her b.p. should unquestioningly change seats because some FA says her seat had changed. And after the Dao nonsense and United announcing far and wide that seated passengers won't henceforth be removed, it's easy to imagine some pax might mistakenly believe that applies to post-boarding seat changes, too.

Your seat assignment is subject to change even after you've boarded. However, that's not the only possibility. I was recently first on the upgrade list on a flight that looked virtually sure to clear, and I had no carry-on luggage. Instead of boarding with the 1Ks, I went to use the restroom. By the time I'd returned, my upgrade had cleared and I had my new seat assignment. I handed my original Y boarding pass to the gate agent, expecting him to hand me an F pass. Instead, he scanned it and allowed me to board. The boarding pass in my hand was 21A, but the scanner showed 2F. The gate agent didn't notice; I boarded and sat in 2F. If I'd sat in 21A -- the seat printed on my boarding pass -- I would have been in the wrong.
There's no way you would have been in the wrong in this case. Pax aren't expected to look at the scanner to re-confirm their seat assignment. This would have been entirely on the GA (although, obviously, one assumes you wouldn't have protested at being upgraded after boarding, precluding any problems like the one being discussed).
Old Sep 16, 2019, 11:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by joe_miami
But that's the thing: I'm not even talking about shenanigans here. Given all of the hoops and legalities associated with modern U.S. air travel, it seems odd that a passenger sitting in the seat shown on her b.p. should unquestioningly change seats because some FA says her seat had changed. And after the Dao nonsense and United announcing far and wide that seated passengers won't henceforth be removed, it's easy to imagine some pax might mistakenly believe that applies to post-boarding seat changes, too.
Well, apropros of nothing, sure, but when two passengers have the same seat assignment, clearly one of them is going to have to move, and it's not at all obvious to me that the answer should be "whoever got here first wins." So, if you then get the FA's help, and they say "please move to 38F," IMO, your choices are to ask to be re-accommodated in another seat or on another flight, or to move to 38F.

There's no way you would have been in the wrong in this case. Pax aren't expected to look at the scanner to re-confirm their seat assignment. This would have been entirely on the GA (although, obviously, one assumes you wouldn't have protested at being upgraded after boarding, precluding any problems like the one being discussed).
Sure, but I would still have been sitting in the wrong seat, and if someone else came up with a boarding pass for my seat, they would be the rightful occupant. My point was just that it is simple to imagine a scenario where I had a boarding pass for the seat that I was in, but that I was in the wrong seat. Obviously, this situation would have been very easy to solve.
narvik likes this.
Old Sep 17, 2019, 12:01 am
Suspended

Programs: AA ExPlat, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Spire, Hilton Gold
Well, apropros of nothing, sure, but when two passengers have the same seat assignment, clearly one of them is going to have to move, and it's not at all obvious to me that the answer should be "whoever got here first wins." So, if you then get the FA's help, and they say "please move to 38F," IMO, your choices are to ask to be re-accommodated in another seat or on another flight, or to move to 38F.
The few times I've seen seat disputes after boarding, the FAs have always begged off and had the GA handle it. Regardless, in cases of a duplicate seat assignment, doesn't "whoever got here first" make the most sense, if the overriding goal is to get the flight off on time?
Old Sep 17, 2019, 12:04 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by s0ssos
I think that is a hyperbole. If the FA asks you to give them a hundred dollars, and you disobey them, are you a safety/security risk?
If you are in one seat in economy and asked to move to another seat in economy, refusing to move makes you a security risk? (that makes the question simpler, because the whole "basic economy" and "first class" is irrelevant)
Disobeying a lawful and reasonable ("change seats" is reasonable, "give me money" is not) instruction from a crew member is probably going to result in you being considered a security risk by everyone involved at the airline.

It's not a matter of whether it makes you a security risk, just whether it makes them THINK you're a security risk.

I'm totally on the pax side here, but you have to look at this from how the airline will react.
narvik likes this.
Old Sep 17, 2019, 2:37 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond; IHG Platinum; Bonvoy Gold; AA Platinum Pro and United Premier Silver (DH = AA EXP)
Originally Posted by zombietooth
Perhaps you should read through these threads. Hundreds of us have experienced this. It was very frustrating for a while to get booted out of a prime seat with no reason. Yet, I never lost my cool. Things are better now.

See here:

Random seat changes to UA itineraries after they are booked & purchased [ARCHIVE]

Random seat changes to UA itineraries after having an assigned seat [Consolidated]
I’m not saying that it doesn’t happen. I even gave examples of when seat changes happened to me. But jsloan seemed to have indicated that it happens quite frequently for no reason at all. The posts you linked have extensive lists of when such seat changes happen - none of which was indicated or acknowledged by the FA in the instance cited as the subject of this thread. If a FA told me to my seat assignment was wrong (especially if it’s one that is upgraded or paid additionally for - like E+ or exit row), most people in that scenario would question it (or at least ask for a reason) too and I don’t think this should be the hill to die on.

That said, I think the proper course of action would have been to ring up customer relations after the flight to discuss the lack of professionalism by FA, especially since it seemed like the actual seat problem “resolved itself” when the other passenger found another seat to take elsewhere. THAT is the part that I believe most people take issue with - there was no need to reopen the can of worms with the FA on board.
Dublin_rfk likes this.
Old Sep 17, 2019, 3:26 am

Programs: UA 1K 1.8MM
Originally Posted by canadiancow
Disobeying a lawful and reasonable ("change seats" is reasonable, "give me money" is not) instruction from a crew member is probably going to result in you being considered a security risk by everyone involved at the airline.

It's not a matter of whether it makes you a security risk, just whether it makes them THINK you're a security risk.
Totally agree!

Originally Posted by canadiancow
I'm totally on the pax side here....
Partially agree!

Old Sep 17, 2019, 3:44 am

Programs: UA 1K 1.8MM
...doesn't "whoever got here first" make the most sense....
Try telling that to a Federal Air Marshall!
Old Sep 17, 2019, 3:53 am

Programs: United Global Services, Amtrak Select Executive
Originally Posted by narvik
I do believe that part of the events contributed largely to the deterioration, and to what ultimately transpired.

As an outsider like me, this whole fiasco could be simply summarized as:

1) A Flight Attendant who mishandled/lost a boarding pass necessary to resolve a seating issue, but who couldn't admit to her fault, and thus dug her heels in.
2) Passengers who were adamant to immediately prove they were in the right, and thus dug their heels in.

A bad combination...with a predictable outcome.
Sounds about right, with the addition that being accused of lying by a FA is at the extremely inflammatory far end of the scale of FA behavior.
Old Sep 17, 2019, 3:54 am

Programs: United Global Services, Amtrak Select Executive
Originally Posted by zombietooth
I have seen horrendous caprice by FAs, against others and myself. Yet, I never would grab a FA to show them a BP they had dropped, or argue with them, merely to point out that they were in the wrong. Why, after being seated, couldn't OP have let it pass? Passengers never win these confrontations and get booted all the time.

Here is a post from 2017 with an example that I witnessed of indefensible FA behavior:

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/28156538-post783.html
The asserted fact of "grabbing" FA versus "tapping" remains unconfirmed.
Old Sep 17, 2019, 5:05 am

Programs: UA 1K
We have had multiple responses from the couple that suggest this is not at all what even happened.

The couple were in their seat with boarding pass. Someone else came up with the same seat assignment. Both (or all 3?) boarding passes were handed to the FA who walked away. Suddenly the FA comes back and says "you do not have a boarding pass for this seat" to which the couple replies "yes we gave it to you" and then some sort of argument ensues. The 21C 2 pax seems to have then voluntarily taken some other seat, at which point the FA tells the couple she is removing them anyway for refusing to move seats and heads to the front where she is talking with the GA. At this point the couple is suddenly handed the missing BP showing 21C - from the pax in 23C. The wife takes it up front to give to the FA and GA and another argument ensues.

It's a big mess, and there's a lot of unknown behind "tone" and such of each actor and what was said during the two arguments. Only other pax and/or video could shed light on that IMO. It might be a 50 to 1 ratio of Bad PAx::FA powertrip but with 4,900 UA flights per day, there's multiple "1s" occurring each year. Every so often, the roulette wheel hits on 0.
Old Sep 17, 2019, 7:02 am

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton ♦ , Hyatt Carbonado, Wyndham ♦, Marriott PE, "Stinking Bum" elsewhere.
Originally Posted by physioprof
The asserted fact of "grabbing" FA versus "tapping" remains unconfirmed.
It doesn't matter what actually happened, it matters how the FA perceived it. This is the same situation with sexual harassment these days; you should never touch anybody unless you know the person very well. Also, you'll note that I said you shouldn't argue with a FA either. There was no de-escalation here by either party and, in the end, the FA is always going to win. Being right doesn't get you anything.
Old Sep 17, 2019, 7:47 am

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum, Raddison Platinum, Avis Presidents Club
...Your story seems to be missing that step, where the FA determines whose boarding pass is correct and whose is not. For a disinterested observer, this is the crucial point.
EXACTLY !!! ^

Such a simple issue that occurs and get resolved multiple times daily. Makes me wonder why this specific time became a newsworthy event.

The constant references to Dao aren't really relevant either. No UA FA was involved in that incident.
But whether it be IDB or seat assignment changes, although rare, these are all things that have existed for decades. I'm not sure why it is suddenly a problem for the general public to accept now.
Imstevek likes this.
Old Sep 17, 2019, 8:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

The few times I've seen seat disputes after boarding, the FAs have always begged off and had the GA handle it. Regardless, in cases of a duplicate seat assignment, doesn't "whoever got here first" make the most sense, if the overriding goal is to get the flight off on time?
I agree; it's more common for GAs to handle this. However, the FAs have the ability to do it, and I've seen them do so.

And, no, "whoever got here first" doesn't make the most sense if one set of boarding passes is out-of-date.

Originally Posted by txaggiemiles
We have had multiple responses from the couple that suggest this is not at all what even happened.

The couple were in their seat with boarding pass. Someone else came up with the same seat assignment. Both (or all 3?) boarding passes were handed to the FA who walked away. Suddenly the FA comes back and says "you do not have a boarding pass for this seat" to which the couple replies "yes we gave it to you" and then some sort of argument ensues.
Yes, that's what's been presented, but does it make any sense? Is it in line with your expectations of how people behave? The only reason I've ever seen a FA walk away from a boarding pass conflict is to get the GA, and that was more common in the days before the mobile flight manifest. (When they used a paper manifest, the FA would go to the GA to ensure they were using an up-to-date copy).

Of all the people on the plane, the FAs are best-equipped to know that possession of a boarding pass is irrelevant. They are carrying the (mobile) flight manifest in their hands. All they need is a passenger's last name (or sequence number, which is printed on the boarding pass) in order to find the correct seat assignment.

I have asked, several times, what seat the FA told the couple to sit in. The question has been ducked repeatedly. I am forced to assume that there is a missing step: the FA looked at the manifest, resolved the differences, told the couple to move, and that's when things began to escalate. Presumably, there was an argument that involved "I gave you the boarding pass to show that we're in the correct seat," and then the FA replying "No, you didn't," or whatnot. This isn't the only possible scenario, but it seems the most plausible to me.

Originally Posted by TravelLawyer
I’m not saying that it doesn’t happen. I even gave examples of when seat changes happened to me. But jsloan seemed to have indicated that it happens quite frequently for no reason at all.
I wouldn't say that it happens quite frequently, but it does happen, and with no obvious reason. I've been moved out of an exit row to another E+ seat within about an hour of boarding; I only noticed it because I was looking at the seat map, saw my seat come open, and thought I'd been upgraded. I hadn't.

The posts you linked have extensive lists of when such seat changes happen - none of which was indicated or acknowledged by the FA in the instance cited as the subject of this thread. If a FA told me to my seat assignment was wrong (especially if it’s one that is upgraded or paid additionally for - like E+ or exit row), most people in that scenario would question it (or at least ask for a reason) too and I don’t think this should be the hill to die on.
I don't know what "most people" would have done. In that particular instance, I just changed my seat back. But demanding a reason from the person who is least likely to have made the change seems pointless.

That said, I think the proper course of action would have been to ring up customer relations after the flight to discuss the lack of professionalism by FA, especially since it seemed like the actual seat problem “resolved itself” when the other passenger found another seat to take elsewhere. THAT is the part that I believe most people take issue with - there was no need to reopen the can of worms with the FA on board.
I agree, although the passengers appear to think that the FAs were trying to get them deplaned even after the situation resolved itself, so it may actually have been too late at that point.

Last edited by jsloan; Sep 17, 2019 at 8:55 am
Old Sep 17, 2019, 9:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United, American, Delta, Hyatt, Hilton, Hertz, Marriott
Originally Posted by ToddSpam
Why don't airlines, and perhaps people in general, realize that professors are a special class and treat them as such. Especially when stories like this have that in the title because it is very relevent.

This terrible incident reminds me of the woman removed from a SW flight a few years back related to the presence of a dog on board. Her last lines after being forcefully removed were" I'm a professor!" They ddn't seem to get hte message either
I agree wholeheartedly, but from what I can tell from the story, he wasn’t wearing his academic gown, while the United employees were all uniformed. He has to share some of the blame.
Old Sep 17, 2019, 9:28 am

Originally Posted by Jessie and Guill

To summarize, we sat in our assignment seats. 20 min later another passenger showed up with the same seat assignment. We gave our paper BP to the FA, who looked at it (should have recognized then we were sitting where we should be), took it to the back, lost it and then called us liars and threatened to throw us out. After the BP was recovered by other passenger and handed back to us, FA and GA refused to look at the recovered BP, continued to work on kicking us off the plane, eventually succeeded on getting us to voluntarily leave (to spare other passengers from further delays due to deplaning and re-boarding). The FA/GA further initiated the PIRC review. PIRC gave us 96 hours to defend ourselves, took 2 months to investigate, and then decided to label us as belligerent, etc, without giving any evidence to support their accusations/conclusions. We do not believe that air passengers should be expected to accept these practices as the norm.

Forbes article sequence of events was...

FA takes boarding pass
Later boarding passenger reseated
BP recovered, FA tapped
Threatened to kick off plane

Was that incorrect, and instead should be:

FA takes boarding pass
Threatened to kick off plane
Later boarding passenger reseated
BP recovered, FA tapped
Threatened to kick off plane again

What I'm trying to understand - was there a threat to kick you off the plane before the pax was reseated?

Independent of that the whole passenger council process is eye opening - maybe overly employee friendly as a function of union demands.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.