772 3-4-3 seats vs 3-3-3 seats

Old Sep 11, 2019, 10:27 am
Original Poster

772 3-4-3 seats vs 3-3-3 seats

Hello has anyone traveled economy on both configurations?

How firm are the 3-3-3 seats compared to the 3-4-3 seats?

I actually appreciate the firmness of the 3-4-3 seats, so I am wondering if the 3-3-3 seats are soft and your butt sinks in like many domestic carriers, or if it provides firm bottom support and lumbar support.

Thanks!
Old Sep 11, 2019, 11:45 am

old 3-cabin 3-3-3 has very comfortable seats with articulating slide forward bottom, good lumbar, and yes, your bottom definitely sinks in IMO. I love those seats.
Old Sep 11, 2019, 11:47 am
Original Poster

I'm not a fan of the bottom sinking in, but i sure like the 18 inches vs 17 and the slide forward. the New design has a better slide forward because the front of the seats also tilts up to provide better support.
Old Sep 11, 2019, 12:01 pm

Programs: UA Life Gold, Marriott Life Titanium
I know of literally no one who prefers the 10-wide vs. 9-wide.
Old Sep 11, 2019, 12:08 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1.8MM
Originally Posted by catocony
No kidding!
The ONLY way I'd prefer a 3-4-3 vs. 3-3-3 is if I'd have an empty seat next to me, i.e. I'd prefer a 3-4-3 isle seat in middle section with an empty adjoining seat vs. 3-3-3 isle seat in middle section with all three seats occupied.
AceReport and Collierkr like this.
Old Sep 11, 2019, 12:08 pm

Programs: UA MM
No one other than UA management.
Old Sep 11, 2019, 12:10 pm
Original Poster

i'm only mentioning it because i have a bad back and cannot sit in seats that have soft cushions. anyone else have a "cushion review"??
Old Sep 11, 2019, 12:34 pm

Programs: BA Bronze, United 1K, HH Gold, SPG Platinum, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by Tewkewl
i'm only mentioning it because i have a bad back and cannot sit in seats that have soft cushions. anyone else have a "cushion review"??
Maybe you should check for special products that you could bring on board to make the surface harder. What I have observed is that even in one plane all seats don't have the same degree of firmness. I guess it depends on the weight of people who sat on those seats........
Old Sep 11, 2019, 12:38 pm

Programs: united
I don't prefer it, but I found the controversy to be overblown. Both configurations felt like typical Y seats.
Old Sep 11, 2019, 12:51 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K 1MM (finally!), IHG AMB-Spire, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by narvik
No kidding!
The ONLY way I'd prefer a 3-4-3 vs. 3-3-3 is if I'd have an empty seat next to me, i.e. I'd prefer a 3-4-3 isle seat in middle section with an empty adjoining seat vs. 3-3-3 isle seat in middle section with all three seats occupied.
Or if I am booked in the INTL Business cabin. Then by all means give me a plane sporting 3-4-3.
Tewkewl likes this.
Old Sep 11, 2019, 1:10 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by StuckinITH
Maybe you should check for special products that you could bring on board to make the surface harder. What I have observed is that even in one plane all seats don't have the same degree of firmness. I guess it depends on the weight of people who sat on those seats........

good idea!
Old Sep 11, 2019, 1:41 pm

Programs: UA GS4MM, MR LT Plat, Hilton Gold
I'm in 3-4-3 more often than I prefer between HNL-SFO if I don't buy up or get the very rare upgrade. The seats are firm - definitely not soft. I'm 6' 220ish, and I've personally not not felt much of a difference between the the configurations although I've only been in E+. I do think the 3-4-3 is firmer.
Old Sep 11, 2019, 2:00 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by HNLbasedFlyer
I'm in 3-4-3 more often than I prefer between HNL-SFO if I don't buy up or get the very rare upgrade. The seats are firm - definitely not soft. I'm 6' 220ish, and I've personally not not felt much of a difference between the the configurations although I've only been in E+. I do think the 3-4-3 is firmer.
Ahhh... An awesome answer. I've been waiting for an answer like this!
Old Sep 11, 2019, 3:22 pm

Programs: UA 1K and Million Miler, *A Gold, Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, Hertz Five Star,
There is no noticeable difference in cush between the two seats. For reasons already mentioned take the 3-3-3.
Old Sep 12, 2019, 9:37 am

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, AA EXP, HH Diamond, MR Gold, Avis PC, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by dilanesp
I don't prefer it, but I found the controversy to be overblown. Both configurations felt like typical Y seats.
I know it's only an inch, but for whatever reason my shoulders are proportioned such that that single inch is the difference between a pain free flight and severe discomfort. I won't fly in 3-4-3.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.