Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

UA Silver or *G for an Award Flight on UA?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 10, 2019, 10:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: BA Silver, TK E+, AA PP, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Diamond

I've got an upcoming PHX-EWR award flight on United, so earning miles isn't an issue. Out of habit, I chose to attach my *G details to the reservation.

But I also have UA Silver via Marriott, and I get the impression that I would have a better chance at choosing an Economy Plus seat at OLCI if I attach my UA details instead. (and I suppose I'd be like number 50 on the upgrade list. )

Both UA Silver and *G get a checked bag, and presumably are quite similar in terms of boarding priority. I can show my *G card at the lounge, so don't really need it on the booking itself I imagine.

Anything else I'm missing? Is E+ even worth the effort?
Old Sep 10, 2019, 10:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond, Hertz PC
Go for UA Silver for the seat.
Santander and ajGoes like this.
Old Sep 10, 2019, 10:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by craigthemif
I've got an upcoming PHX-EWR award flight on United, so earning miles isn't an issue. Out of habit, I chose to attach my *G details to the reservation.

But I also have UA Silver via Marriott, and I get the impression that I would have a better chance at choosing an Economy Plus seat at OLCI if I attach my UA details instead. (and I suppose I'd be like number 50 on the upgrade list. )

Both UA Silver and *G get a checked bag, and presumably are quite similar in terms of boarding priority. I can show my *G card at the lounge, so don't really need it on the booking itself I imagine.

Anything else I'm missing? Is E+ even worth the effort?
E+ is only a benefit for UA premiers, not of *G. Short of a fairly oversold flight in regular economy, the chances of getting free E+ as a non-UA *G is pretty close to zero. Less of a chance at OLCI then with an agent at the airport. Form that perspective, if you want an E+ seat at check in, better to use your silver status. If it were me, I’d probably check the seatmap in the days before OLCI to see if there is a decent E+ still available, then change it to get access at T-24. Whether E+ is really worth it is going to be a personal decision - if you’ve got long legs, for example, almost certainly is. It’s free, is if the chance looks good of a seat you’d like yo there, might as well go for it. I personally wouldn’t take a middle E+ over an E- aisle, but YMMV.

As for upgrades, #50 would be a good place to be on the upgrade list on this type of ticket. Unless you have an applicable UA credit card, you are not eligible for upgrades on award tickets (disclaimer: I somehow have been upgraded a couple of times on award tickets - really not sure how, but it has happened - once was at Xmas on a sold out flight which kind of makes sense, the other time E+ was pretty empty so I was shocked to get a CPU notice).

Silver and gold gold are both group 2 boarding, so there’s no advantage there either way.
craigthemif likes this.
Old Sep 10, 2019, 10:58 am

Originally Posted by emcampbe

Silver and gold gold are both group 2 boarding, so there’s no advantage there either way.
No, star silver/premier silver are BG2
(Technically star silver on BE ticket doesn't get BG2. Premier silver on BE does get BG2)

Star gold/premier gold are BG1 (BE or regular ticket)

Last edited by paperwastage; Sep 10, 2019 at 11:14 am
Old Sep 10, 2019, 12:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Silver for E+ seems to be the way to go.. although I'm not up on the latest grumpiness level of dragons when you try to credit a UA account (or otherwise list it on the BP) while flashing an OAL *G card.
Old Sep 10, 2019, 2:39 pm

Definitely UA Silver to get E+ (*G doesn't get E+). Silver gets priority check-in, priority security lanes (if your airport has them) and extra baggage. For *G the only positive over UA Silver is one higher tier of boarding which simply doesn't equal E+. Also just show your *G card at boarding and you can board with Star Golds in Zone 1.

Your non-UA *G card can also be used to access UA clubs just by showing the card. You can still use your UA silver number on the record.

At check-in 24 hours before, you can choose from any available E+ seat - there is no upgrade process for E+.
Old Sep 10, 2019, 6:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by paperwastage
No, star silver/premier silver are BG2
(Technically star silver on BE ticket doesn't get BG2. Premier silver on BE does get BG2)

Star gold/premier gold are BG1 (BE or regular ticket)
Yikes. Guess it’s been too long since I’ve been a gold. Or, for the most part, boarded with either G1 or G2 - for most of the last 4 years or so, I’ve usually been traveling with a child 2 or under (disclaimer: not the same child &#128512 so typically board earlier than either group. Who says you even need status for early boarding?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.