2020 Schedule Reductions / Route Eliminations

Old Sep 10, 19, 8:13 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K 1MM; Marriott LT Plat Premier (+AMB); Amex MR; Chase UR; Hertz PC; Global Entry
2020 Schedule Reductions / Route Eliminations

Was looking to book some 2020 travel, and seems United has now totally eliminated the DAY<->EWR route. Can't find it for sale after Jan 6.
CVG was the backup, but they have reduced down there as well, including 145s during most of the day.

This is huge for my personal travel pattern.

Anyone else seeing reductions / eliminations?
Old Sep 10, 19, 8:22 am

Originally Posted by goodeats21 View Post
Was looking to book some 2020 travel, and seems United has now totally eliminated the DAY<->EWR route...

Are you sure Dayton hasn't gone seasonal (for 365 days a year)?
Old Sep 10, 19, 8:26 am

Programs: BA Bronze, United 1K, HH Gold, SPG Platinum, Marriott Platinum
Was looking to book some 2020 travel, and seems United has now totally eliminated the DAY<->EWR route. Can't find it for sale after Jan 6.
CVG was the backup, but they have reduced down there as well, including 145s during most of the day.

This is huge for my personal travel pattern.

Anyone else seeing reductions / eliminations?
Is this for the whole year? Did you read anything about it in your local newspaper?

When United eliminated the direct flight to EWR from my small airport at the beginning of 2019, the local paper indicated that it will be reinstated for a few months in the fall for football season. And yes, now, if I so wished I could take a direct flight to EWR. I guess it will help me if I decide to go to HKG as United suspended the ORD-HKG flights........but I would need to fly the night before my EWR-HKG flight as they did not reinstate the 6:00 AM flight. Maybe football fans do not like to wake up too early?
Old Sep 10, 19, 8:54 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K 1MM; Marriott LT Plat Premier (+AMB); Amex MR; Chase UR; Hertz PC; Global Entry
Poking around the schedule, don't see if offered for sale at all in 2020. Not sure what "seasonal" for Ohio <-> EWR would be anyway....
Internet search doesn't return any news articles about it.

Used to run at least 2x daily. About a year ago, they chopped it to once daily. Now gone.
Old Sep 10, 19, 9:00 am

...Not sure what "seasonal" for Ohio <-> EWR would be anyway.......
I don't think anyone knows....
Old Sep 10, 19, 10:27 am

Programs: UA, AA, DL, Hertz, Avis, National, Hyatt, Hilton, SPG, Marriott
I think DAY-EWR is gone and replaced with an additional IAD frequency.
Old Sep 10, 19, 10:38 am

Programs: UA 1K MM, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by EWR764 View Post

They've been doing that a lot recently: routing to/through IAD instead of EWR for quite a few East Coast airports. Problems with gate availability at EWR being cited as one of the reasons, IIRC.

As much as EWR gets a bad rap, connecting through IAD is really not that ideal....although to be fair, I haven't actually tried it so I really shouldn't knock it!
Old Sep 10, 19, 10:47 am

Programs: UA, AA, DL, Hertz, Avis, National, Hyatt, Hilton, SPG, Marriott
Originally Posted by narvik View Post
They've been doing that a lot recently: routing to/through IAD instead of EWR for quite a few East Coast airports. Problems with gate availability at EWR being cited as one of the reasons, IIRC.

As much as EWR gets a bad rap, connecting through IAD is really not that ideal....although to be fair, I haven't actually tried it so I really shouldn't knock it!
Yes, this is deliberate. In one of the recent investor presentations, it was mentioned that some airports were generating disproportionately large volumes of domestic connecting traffic over EWR. Some of those flows have shifted to IAD, where they can be served more reliably and at lower cost, both in terms of operating cost (IAD being less expensive on a cost per enplanement basis than EWR) and opportunity cost (i.e., EWR slots can be deployed to more valuable local or domestic-to-international connecting markets). So, all things being equal, UA would rather serve the domestic XXX-YYY-ZZZ passenger via IAD than EWR.
narvik likes this.
Old Sep 10, 19, 10:47 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K MM; Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by narvik View Post

The actual connection at IAD is pretty easy--easier than at EWR IMHO. Now, the experience connecting is not... the midfield concourse is such a dump, and if you're going A->C or v/v (as is often the case when going mainline-to-UX, particularly single-class UX), it means taking the train and a quarter mile walk to the C concourse.

I think the flow control, gates, etc., are all reasons they've been moving these to IAD. I wish they'd go ahead and add more banks at IAD and get us up to the pax levels they have cited as necessary to investing in the new midfield concourse; we're well short of it so far, and UA is really the only option to get it built due to the percentage of traffic they control at IAD.
narvik and am1108 like this.
Old Sep 10, 19, 10:54 am

Originally Posted by exerda View Post
The actual connection at IAD is pretty easy--easier than at EWR IMHO. Now, the experience connecting is not... the midfield concourse is such a dump, and if you're going A->C or v/v (as is often the case when going mainline-to-UX, particularly single-class UX), it means taking the train and a quarter mile walk to the C concourse.

I think the flow control, gates, etc., are all reasons they've been moving these to IAD. I wish they'd go ahead and add more banks at IAD and get us up to the pax levels they have cited as necessary to investing in the new midfield concourse; we're well short of it so far, and UA is really the only option to get it built due to the percentage of traffic they control at IAD.
Thanks for the info!
It makes me want to try it out though. I think I've only ever landed once at IAD, and that was some ~20 years ago!
Old Sep 10, 19, 10:55 am

Programs: UW*, UL*S
YOW-EWR axed! At least AC still flies the route, though!

https://obj.ca/article/united-airlin...ice-march-2020
Old Sep 10, 19, 11:26 am

Originally Posted by asovse1 View Post
YOW-EWR axed! At least AC still flies the route, though!

https://obj.ca/article/united-airlin...ice-march-2020
I noticed YOW fares had been pretty cheap for about the past year.
Old Sep 10, 19, 11:41 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by EWR764 View Post
No additional IAD frequency that I am seeing. Same 2x daily as current.

In fact, looks like it is more consistently 50 seaters in 2020, where currently it has been 1 50 seater and a 70 seater daily.
So, reduction in seats overall.

But I was not using DAY-EWR for connecting. It was my destination. No direct flight to NYC / NJ now on United.

Going to have to decide if I switch to AA for 5x daily flights DAY-PHL, or schlep down to Cincy for direct CVG-EWR.
Not going to connect thru anywhere as I am on this every week.
Old Sep 10, 19, 11:42 am
Moderator, Amtrak

Programs: AA Platinum, Delta Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, Hertz PC
Does anyone know when this takes effect?

ETA: Ends 1/4/20.
Old Sep 10, 19, 11:47 am

But I was not using DAY-EWR for connecting. It was my destination. No direct flight to NYC / NJ now on United.

Search this Thread