Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

228000 United miles and business class travel question

228000 United miles and business class travel question

Old Sep 9, 19, 7:08 pm
Original Poster

Question 228000 United miles and business class travel question

Seniors, I have 228000 United miles and earning more each time I spend on cc. I have disabled parent who I book award travel business class from MIA to DEL each year. Currently, the parent don't know when he wants to go to India what should I do in this scenario? Last year I believe before November it was cosing 160k miles for round trip business class but now it seems 180k. I don't want another hike and devaluation of my points. What should I do, any tips/tricks?
Old Sep 9, 19, 7:19 pm
Moderator: United Airlines; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold 1.85MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Gold
Originally Posted by jamesbondc View Post
Seniors, I have 228000 United miles and earning more each time I spend on cc. I have disabled parent who I book award travel business class from MIA to DEL each year. Currently, the parent don't know when he wants to go to India what should I do in this scenario? ...
Without a date it is hard to make a recommendation

Last year I believe before November it was cosing 160k miles for round trip business class but now it seems 180k. I don't want another hike and devaluation of my points. ...
For award flights after Nov 15, 2019, UA has gone to dynamic pricing, much like cash pricing. You will not know the cost (in miles) until you try to make a booking and the amount can change up or down at any time. It is unclear how dynamic this will be.

Once you have picked a date you can check the mileage required. You will need to decide if that is an acceptable amount. You can try different days or you can wait and hope the mileage request changes (it may or it may increase).

This change is too new to understand what the pricing pattern will be (other than most expect, on average higher mileage required than in the past. No transparency.
jamesbondc likes this.
Old Sep 9, 19, 9:03 pm

Programs: Northwest, United
...I don't want another hike and devaluation of my points. What should I do, any tips/tricks?
Well, the bad news is that a significant devaluation is coming, and soon. True, we don't know exactly how bad it will be -- right now that's anyone's guess -- but many of us expect a terrible devaluation (personally, I'm just assuming that prices will double; it could be not as bad as that, but it could just as easily be much worse).

There are many uncertainties, but it seems extremely unlikely that that waiting will produce the result you want.

If you want to avoid devaluation, you should book travel now or very soon; you can still book trips under the old system, but we have already seen things becoming more difficult, that trend will continue. Speak with your parent, explain the coming devaluation, pick a date, and book ASAP.
MSPeconomist likes this.
Old Sep 9, 19, 9:07 pm

Programs: UA 1K; Hertz PC & Hotels Galore
You could try and take a stab at some dates and lock a ticket in now. It's only $75-125 (presuming no elite status) to change the flights or cancel the ticket and get your miles back.
narvik and gmt4 like this.
Old Sep 9, 19, 10:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
Currently, the parent don't know when he wants to go to India what should I do in this scenario?
This uncertainty forecloses everything.

I believe many understand what you mean. The problem is if you don't know, how can we know? At the minimum, your parents could choose not to go to India just for once.

But there is one thing I am certain - your miles are not definitely enough for both in J, probably Y as well, for RT. With dynamic pricing - high demand routes with limited competition - a recipe for massive devaluation.

WineCountryUA - I am not teaching you how to do your job. But this discussion is not going anywhere? Should this be closed?
Old Sep 9, 19, 11:40 pm
Moderator: United Airlines; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold 1.85MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Gold
Originally Posted by garykung View Post
...But this discussion is not going anywhere? ...
Perhaps we should give the OP an opportunity to respond?
nwflyboy, Smiley90, narvik and 4 others like this.
Old Sep 10, 19, 5:01 am
Original Poster

Question

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA View Post
Perhaps we should give the OP an opportunity to respond?
Thank you seniors for your most valuable input and wisdom.
It seems I need to start playing around with dates every other day and maybe go ahead and book and then may just cancel if not going for $75 penalty.
I have Chase United credit cards, can any of the penalty fee be waived due to it? Thanks.
Old Sep 10, 19, 9:19 am

Programs: UA-GS; WN A-list;Hyatt - CC; Hertz - PC
Yes in this case, the only safe play is to say, mom/dad, I am doing some planning ahead of time and here are the dates you need to go or I will not be able to afford the miles to send you over. Can you make these work? Personally, I have already made all my reservations for potential vacations next year already to get the most out of my miles. It is hard however to see my mileage now down to mere 60,000, from a hair over 1mm about a month ago.
Old Sep 10, 19, 9:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold, Marriott Gold
I don't want another hike and devaluation of my points. What should I do, any tips/tricks?
Stop playing the points/miles game and just take cash back to spend on airfare.
Old Sep 10, 19, 9:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I have Chase United credit cards, can any of the penalty fee be waived due to it? Thanks.
Sorry, no.
Old Sep 10, 19, 2:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
UA provides waiver to 2 groups of UA customers.

Credit card holders is not one of these 2 groups.

Originally Posted by mduell View Post
OP's problem is not that. OP simply don't know the travel period.
Old Sep 10, 19, 3:48 pm

Programs: Northwest, United
Originally Posted by garykung View Post
UA provides waiver to 2 groups of UA customers.

Credit card holders is not one of these 2 groups.

OP's problem is not that. OP simply don't know the travel period.
Actually, I think OP's primary issue is that s/he has not adjusted expectations to align with the new United MeilagePlus. Time will fix that for all of us.
Old Sep 10, 19, 3:57 pm

Programs: UA 1K MM, Hertz PC
It seems I need to start playing around with dates every other day and maybe go ahead and book and then may just cancel if not going for $75 penalty.
That seems like the best strategy!

Look into what would potentially be the best travel date; i.e. speak to your parent, the person(s)/family they might visit in India, check school holidays, public holidays, previous engagements and their potential conflicts, time-of-year issues (heat/cold/rain/smog...), etc.
I reckon with all those criteria you should be able to narrow it down quite well.
Good luck!
Old Sep 10, 19, 4:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by nwflyboy View Post
Actually, I think OP's primary issue is that s/he has not adjusted expectations to align with the new United MeilagePlus. Time will fix that for all of us.
Maybe. But I don't think so.

Dynamic pricing or not, award pricing could be increased due to inventory issue (saver > standard). Also - (unless you are 1K/GS) it always costs a fee to change reservation. These are nothing new.

IMHO - I believe that OP's primary issue is unfamiliarity of M+, as well as over-expectation from Chase.
Old Sep 10, 19, 7:00 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by mduell View Post
Sorry, another noob question. You mean I can cash out my United miles?

Search this Thread