Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Requesting an unopened beverage (seltzer) inflight?

Old Sep 9, 19, 7:39 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA Mileage Plus

I was on the red eye in first this morning. About 30 minutes before landing I asked for an unopened can of seltzer and was told that this is against United policy. They could give it to me, but it would need to be opened is what I was told. I can see such a policy in effect for alcohol but a can of seltzer??? I have never been told this before.

Is this a thing?
Old Sep 9, 19, 7:40 am

Programs: UA 1K MM, Hertz PC, BAEC Silver
Why should they provide drinks, whether soft or alcoholic, for people to take home?
Old Sep 9, 19, 7:46 am

If you don't say anything about unopened, you have a decent chance of receiving it unopened.
Old Sep 9, 19, 7:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold, AC, AA, DL, Marriott Gold, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by lhrsfo View Post
Why should they provide drinks, whether soft or alcoholic, for people to take home?
Iíd guess this - itís supposed to be consumed on board and they donít want people taking cans out of the plane. Imagine an FA gives a single unopened can of soda to a single pax on every flight - thatís gotta cost millions of $ a year which would otherwise go to profit.

I know alcohol bottles are definitely supposed to be unsealed when served. I canít recall ever receiving a soft drink can unopened on UA - pre- or post-merger. Given the consistency, Iíd be pretty surprised if policy isnít to open the can once a drink is requested.
Old Sep 9, 19, 7:59 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
You did not specify which redeye, but I am going to presume this was an eastbound TCON. I have not surveyed, but believe that there is seltzer available at pretty much every airport receiving those redeyes. Not sure why UA should fly 6-8 extra cases of soda to provide something which most would not expect.
ajGoes likes this.
Old Sep 9, 19, 8:06 am

Programs: UA 1K MM, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by emcampbe View Post
I know alcohol bottles are definitely supposed to be unsealed when served. I can’t recall ever receiving a soft drink can unopened on UA - pre- or post-merger.

I have received both alcoholic and non-alcoholic drinks in an unopened state.

As 1K in E a few FAs would ask if I wanted an "extra" bottle of the booze, and if I said yes, the second one (or sometimes both) would be given unopened.
If I asked for a can of soft drink, and NO ice, I would oftentimes get the can unopened.
Old Sep 9, 19, 8:50 am

The only drinks I've received unopened consistently are the bottles of water they hand out on INTL flights in J.
Old Sep 9, 19, 8:52 am

It's carbonated, so the "can be used as a weapon"-excuse applies. Same reason why you will (or should) never get an unopened can of a carbonated drink in a nightclub, sports venue, etc.

https://lechicgeek.boardingarea.com/...but-beer-isnt/
Old Sep 9, 19, 9:01 am

Programs: UA Plat,HH Diamond,Hyatt Plat, Marriott Gold (Thanks UA!)
I haven't received an unopened can since Saturday - Dasani Sparkling Lime. For alcohol, it was Friday's flight that got unopened vodka. Both in cattle class.
Old Sep 9, 19, 9:12 am

Programs: MileagePlus
Is this really an issue? Talk about 2019 first world problems.
Old Sep 9, 19, 9:29 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA Mileage Plus
It's not an issue, don't intend to use this as a weapon and certainly don't want to bankrupt United taking drinks unopened home.

The main reason I wanted unopened is I did not want to drink right at that time and didn't want an unopened can of seltzer, with some still left in it, around me during landing. Also I really just wanted to know if this is a policy, since I've received the exact same thing a gazillion times before. But sounds like maybe this is a policy which is kind of lightly enforced.
Old Sep 9, 19, 11:26 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: AA, UR, SPG, Hilton - Diamond, IHG - (Plat Amb) Spire Amb
Originally Posted by lhrsfo View Post
Originally Posted by emcampbe View Post

I’d guess this - it’s supposed to be consumed on board and they don’t want people taking cans out of the plane. Imagine an FA gives a single unopened can of soda to a single pax on every flight - that’s gotta cost millions of $ a year which would otherwise go to profit.

I know alcohol bottles are definitely supposed to be unsealed when served. I can’t recall ever receiving a soft drink can unopened on UA - pre- or post-merger. Given the consistency, I’d be pretty surprised if policy isn’t to open the can once a drink is requested.
Originally Posted by Often1 View Post
You did not specify which redeye, but I am going to presume this was an eastbound TCON. I have not surveyed, but believe that there is seltzer available at pretty much every airport receiving those redeyes. Not sure why UA should fly 6-8 extra cases of soda to provide something which most would not expect.
There are plenty of reasons one would want an unopened can/bottle that one intends to drink while still on the plane:
  • They are going by and you want it ready when you are going to drink it later
  • you are getting ready to go to the bathroom and don't want it jiggling around and spilling before you get back
  • it has been hard to get the FA attention and you are taking the opportunity now
  • You still have x minutes left of your movie/game/project/work and don't want the opened can spilling
  • you have been previously spilled upon by a FA and being a worry wort you want to open yourself
  • etc etc
rickg523, wrp96, nomad420 and 2 others like this.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Sep 9, 19 at 12:59 pm Reason: Discuss the issues; not the poster(s)
Old Sep 9, 19, 1:42 pm

Originally Posted by fumje View Post
If you don't say anything about unopened, you have a decent chance of receiving it unopened.

To increase the chances of an unopened can, ask for "no ice". This works IME, and sometimes eliminates them bringing a glass too.
Old Sep 9, 19, 1:45 pm

Originally Posted by narvik View Post
To increase the chances of an unopened can, ask for "no ice". This works IME, and sometimes eliminates them bringing a glass too.
Good tip. I haven't optimised for this, but the best way IME is to go to the back galley during down time to request.
narvik likes this.
Old Sep 9, 19, 1:48 pm

Originally Posted by fumje View Post
Good tip. I haven't optimised for this, but the best way IME is to go to the back galley during down time to request.

Oh, that might work even better.

Never even thought of that, as I don't usually mingle with the riffraff! (Joking!!!)

Search this Thread