Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Confused about UA2835 SFO to EWR 9/9/2019

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 8, 2019, 7:50 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, AA Gold, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Discoverist

First time I've seen a flight this empty but they're holding inventory with just J9 Y9 B9 and looking at the seat map, there's only several people booked. Will this flight actually operate with a 77W?
Old Sep 8, 2019, 7:56 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
I don't believe that's a revenue flight number.
Old Sep 8, 2019, 7:59 pm

Programs: UA 1K
Based on the flight number (UA2835) and departure time (1am) I'm guessing this is an extra section or ferry flight and they really just need that plane in EWR tomorrow for positioning reasons.

I'm surprised inventory is so tight (J9 Y9 B9), guessing they don't plan to carry a lot of pax. The flight is for sale and you could plausibly buy it or SDC onto it.
Old Sep 8, 2019, 8:01 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, AA Gold, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Discoverist
Any thoughts on whether they will open up inventory closer to departure or even some PZ? This seems like a great place to use an RPU.
Old Sep 8, 2019, 8:03 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1.8MM
Originally Posted by VWang1111
Any thoughts on whether they will open up inventory closer to departure or even some PZ? This seems like a great place to use an RPU.
Closer?
Doesn't that plane depart in six hours?
Old Sep 8, 2019, 8:20 pm

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by TelemachusSneezy
The flight is for sale and you could plausibly buy it or SDC onto it.
I'm not so sure about that. I wouldn't be surprised if only pax are UA employees.

If seats were really available for public sale, you could travel waiver in regardless of booking class.
Old Sep 8, 2019, 8:24 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Kacee
I'm not so sure about that. I wouldn't be surprised if only pax are UA employees.

If seats were really available for public sale, you could travel waiver in regardless of booking class.
United.com seems to be willing to sell me a seat. I have a theory that they're only planning to staff 1 FA so they're limiting seats but someone with more insider knowledge would be helpful here.
Old Sep 8, 2019, 8:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I have a theory that they're only planning to staff 1 FA so they're limiting seats but someone with more insider knowledge would be helpful here.
If they fly passengers in it, they have to staff it with a full complement of FAs. The rules are set by the number of seats, not the number of passengers.
Old Sep 8, 2019, 8:31 pm

United.com seems to be willing to sell me a seat.
Did you get it to ticket?
Old Sep 8, 2019, 8:34 pm
Original Poster

It also says it's delayed by 1 minute while working to find a new flight crew. That's why I'm worried they might go and cancel the flight entirely which is why I'm hesitant to switch. Also without confirmable upgrade space and because of the 24 hr wait-list rule, that's why I don't want to switch without more info.
Old Sep 8, 2019, 9:01 pm

Programs: UA 1K
Honestly if you have a ticket on the flight, go ahead and fly in coach -- take any of the sections of 4 seats in coach, borrow a mattress pad from J, and get a perfectly fine lie flat seat.
DutchessPDX and eigenvector like this.
Old Sep 8, 2019, 9:04 pm

Programs: AA PP, UA 1K/MM, WoH Globalist, HH Gold
Wonder if it is related to the runway mess. Noticed a bunch of 777 HD flying between SFO-LAX while a few narrow body flights were cancelled.
Old Sep 8, 2019, 10:47 pm

Programs: ANA Diamond, UA 1K, AA EXP, Delta Diamond, Marriott Ambassador, Hyatt Globalist
J9 Y9 B9
This is wide open. 9 is the maximum that will show, not a limit.
Barcky likes this.
Old Sep 8, 2019, 10:58 pm

Programs: AA Pro (mostly B6) OZ♦ (flying BR/UA), BA Silver Hyatt LT, Wynn Black, Cosmo Plat, Mlife Noir
Originally Posted by Infinite1K
Wonder if it is related to the runway mess. Noticed a bunch of 777 HD flying between SFO-LAX while a few narrow body flights were cancelled.
Also one turn SFO-LAS-SFO just now on the 77W (apparently consolidating an earlier canceled 737 flight) - which actually appears to be the frame operating the SFO-EWR flight in OP.

Originally Posted by alexbellamy
The point is that it is J9 Y9 B9 and everything else zero'd out.
Old Sep 8, 2019, 11:19 pm

Originally Posted by Infinite1K
Wonder if it is related to the runway mess.
Without doubt.
Originally Posted by alexbellamy
This is not "wide open." It's zeros from M down to G.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.