Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Is compensation due for this delayed departure?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 6, 2019, 8:59 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Frontier, American, United, Alaska

My wife and I fly first class on United out of Denver all the time. I have status while she does not. Today she was on a paid ticket for a flight to IAD out of DIA that was delayed due to a connecting flight from SFO arriving over five hours late. She was offered apparently a coach ticket on another flight but decided to wait in the United Club and wait for her desired equipment, a Dreamliner, so she could sleep until a 0130 arrival. Her flight was delayed over 3.5 hours. (She’s pushing 70 next June) and on top of that, we are diamond members at Hilton and we called ahead to see if she needs to contact the airport Hilton at IAD for a shuttle to the airport where she is pre-checked in and they said no shuttles run at that time and she will have to take a taxi at her expense to the hotel! Now, I don’t know, frankly, what the rules are for reimbursement should she be due anything from United and perhaps someone better versed on the subject could tell me how to proceed if at all. As for Hilton, we can deal with the Diamond folks accordingly.....we think. Anyway, she’s inflight as I write this and wonder if anyone has an informed suggestion if she/we should proceed and how. Thanks. We be old folks and that poor lady is dragging a load of luggage around......
Old Sep 6, 2019, 9:04 pm

Programs: Northwest, United
What exactly makes you think that United might owe you compensation for what transpired?
Old Sep 6, 2019, 9:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Delta1949
Now, I don’t know, frankly, what the rules are for reimbursement should she be due anything from United and perhaps someone better versed on the subject could tell me how to proceed if at all.
Whether or not UA would offer compensation depends upon the length of time and the reason for the delay. In this case, the inbound flight was late due to a maintenance issue, so you might have a case; but they generally won't provide compensation for delays less than four hours. At three hours, there have been a few reports of success, so you could write in and ask, but don't get your hopes up.

If they do provide compensation, it would be in the form of a travel certificate good toward a future flight, not cash.

Missing the hotel shuttle would not influence the compensation amount.
Old Sep 6, 2019, 9:11 pm

Programs: UA GS4MM, MR LT Plat, Hilton Gold
I don;t think United owes you anything but you can always give it shot. Write customer care from the UA website and attach your receipts - keep it short and to the point. 3.5 hour delay F Class - late arrival no hotel shuttle - attached are my taxi receipts I incurred due to late arrival
belfordrocks likes this.
Old Sep 6, 2019, 9:11 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Her flight was delayed over 3.5 hours.
Agree with jsloan . . . this is right on the cusp. It's worth writing to UA customer care; you might mention your wife's age and that late arrival caused her to miss hotel shuttle. But keep it short and to the point . . . just imagine how many such emails UA receives every day!

Note that any compensation would be a customer service gesture, not a contractual or legal right.

Originally Posted by nwflyboy
What exactly makes you think that United might owe you compensation for what transpired?
Don't be rude.
djmp, Asknorm and chavala like this.

Last edited by Kacee; Sep 7, 2019 at 12:26 pm
Old Sep 7, 2019, 2:56 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by HNLbasedFlyer
I don;t think United owes you anything but you can always give it shot. Write customer care from the UA website and attach your receipts - keep it short and to the point. 3.5 hour delay F Class - late arrival no hotel shuttle - attached are my taxi receipts I incurred due to late arrival
I tend to agree with this. I don't see a lot of UA generosity but it's worth giving it a shot. I doubt consequential damages will be explicitly covered.
Old Sep 7, 2019, 5:58 am

Programs: UA Plat, 2MM
Cool

Originally Posted by Kacee
; you might mention your mother's age and that late arrival caused her to miss hotel shuttle.

Ahhhhh.... I think the OP said it was his wife, not mother
Kacee and nancypants like this.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Nov 4, 2019 at 1:45 pm Reason: repaired quote
Old Sep 7, 2019, 6:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

There's no mandatory delay compensation laws in the US (the only mandatory compensation is for IDB's) and the airline's contract of carriage disclaims liability for irregular operations other than providing snacks/meal vouchers for extended delays and hotel accommodations for overnight delays in cases where it is their fault. In general, they might provide some miles or a fare voucher for longer delays, but rarely do they provide cash reimbursements for ancillary expenses. It doesn't hurt to ask, but prepared to be shot down. With a paid F ticket, I suspect they will be more likely to at least offer something than if it were coach. The Dulles Hilton seems to indicate there's after hours service if you call. So, yes, you should probably point that out to them. Looks like a taxi/uber/lyft is about $10.

From Dulles Hilton website --
Courtesy Bus 4am-1am; after hours call
Old Sep 7, 2019, 6:21 am

Programs: UA MM
For reference, if anyone cares, the flight was not “over 3.5 hours late”.

UA 2135
Departed DEN 3 hours 13 minutes late
Arrived IAD 3 hours 16 minutes late
Old Sep 7, 2019, 7:29 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
There is no compensation due. UA may choose as a matter of customer service to make a voluntary gesture of some sort and that might amount to a small voucher or a few miles. Cash payments are almost out of the question.

I would not bother to submit receipts at this point. Simply point to the length of the delay (use the correct delay time of 3:16), the nature of the inconvenience, and the cost of the taxi.
Old Sep 7, 2019, 7:48 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by JimInOhio
For reference, if anyone cares, the flight was not “over 3.5 hours late”.

UA 2135
Departed DEN 3 hours 13 minutes late
Arrived IAD 3 hours 16 minutes late
Well, well, holy smoke, my mistake. Thanks, Jimin, for providing the correct length of time of how late the flight was, FWIW, when my wife lined up they changed the departure time from 2033 to 2045 due to a crew change which would have been still less than my 3.5 hours by five minutes, but thanks for delving into it. In this old, feeble mind of mine though there was some sort of two hour thing I was thinking about. Actually, it’s all good. I was simply putting it out there for people who might know the rules on this sort of thing. In all of our years of flying we’ve never nickel dimed anyone trying to get a buck here or there but I thought this pretty extreme a delay so possibly the experienced travelers on here might have the facts. To be quite honest, I found it a little funny if not surprised that the tone of a few comments seemed to be that I was committing some sort of an affront in simply asking my question. Nothing ventured, nothing gained. You all have a great day. ✌🏻
enviroian and HoyaSFOIAD like this.
Old Sep 7, 2019, 7:51 am

Programs: UA 1MM; Marriott LT Titanium
I write in anytime there's a mechanical delay over 2.5 hours. I don't expect anything in return besides voicing my displeasure but United provides a voucher 95% of the times.
Old Sep 7, 2019, 7:58 am
Original Poster

And thanks to those who did offer some salient advice. Appreciate it. Should have mentioned that at the outset but my mind was elsewhere.

☕️
Old Sep 7, 2019, 8:27 am

Programs: UA MM

Well, well, holy smoke, my mistake. Thanks, Jimin, for providing the correct length of time of how late the flight was, FWIW, when my wife lined up they changed the departure time from 2033 to 2045 due to a crew change which would have been still less than my 3.5 hours by five minutes, but thanks for delving into it. In this old, feeble mind of mine though there was some sort of two hour thing I was thinking about. Actually, it’s all good. I was simply putting it out there for people who might know the rules on this sort of thing. In all of our years of flying we’ve never nickel dimed anyone trying to get a buck here or there but I thought this pretty extreme a delay so possibly the experienced travelers on here might have the facts. To be quite honest, I found it a little funny if not surprised that the tone of a few comments seemed to be that I was committing some sort of an affront in simply asking my question. Nothing ventured, nothing gained. You all have a great day. ✌��
I wan't being sarcastic at all as the info I provided was actually relevant to how others might respond to your question. OTOH, your response is sarcasm. To be frank, I think your original post invited this tone of a few of the responses you commented on. (Paraphrasing): "fly first class all of the time", "declined a coach ticket on an earlier flight", "waited in the United Club for her desired equipment", "wanted to get some sleep on the Dreamliner", "Diamond Member". People at FlyerTalk want to be helpful to others but stuff like this isn't additive.

I'm glad your wife arrived in Virginia.
Old Sep 7, 2019, 8:31 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
And thanks to those who did offer some salient advice. Appreciate it. Should have mentioned that at the outset but my mind was elsewhere.

☕️
Guve it a shot, see what they say, and please report back here!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.