Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Is compensation due for this delayed departure?

Is compensation due for this delayed departure?

Old Sep 7, 2019, 9:36 am
Original Poster

Programs: Frontier, American, United, Alaska
Originally Posted by JimInOhio
I wan't being sarcastic at all as the info I provided was actually relevant to how others might respond to your question. OTOH, your response is sarcasm. To be frank, I think your original post invited this tone of a few of the responses you commented on. (Paraphrasing): "fly first class all of the time", "declined a coach ticket on an earlier flight", "waited in the United Club for her desired equipment", "wanted to get some sleep on the Dreamliner", "Diamond Member". People at FlyerTalk want to be helpful to others but stuff like this isn't additive.

I'm glad your wife arrived in Virginia.
So noted.....wasnt implying any sense of elitism but possibly too much unnecessary background. TMI. I get it.
Old Sep 7, 2019, 9:37 am

Programs: UA, Starwood, Priority Club, Hertz, Starbucks Gold Card
I always write when delays happen; never dramatized my experiences, just stating from my point of view how I was inconvenienced. It's irrelevant whether or not the rules say that I am due compensation. I make my case and see what comes of it.
Old Sep 7, 2019, 12:00 pm

Programs: Mileage Plus 1K; Marriott Platinum; Hilton Gold

The most important rules at UA are unwritten, which is why FT is such an important resource.

And fwiw, the only IAD hotel with 24 hour shuttle service that I know of is the Westin. Thats why I stay there whenever Im coming East on a nighttime arrival
Delta1949 likes this.
Old Sep 7, 2019, 12:08 pm

Programs: 1K - UAL, Platinum DL, Marriott, Hilton, SPG
@Delta1949 - I understand your point of view as you would anticipate more apathy and compassion for the described situation. IMO, FT is straight talk and many of these expert travelers will not feel compassion for the situation & its etc. (age of traveler, difficulty of bags, status at hotel, length of delay) but just the relevant facts - if the airline cares, at fault or not. I do read your post as more victimhood vs. a real inconvenience (as travel in the USA is prone to delays (especially late in the day flights) - I've accumulated 8 hrs of delays in the last 1.5 weeks of travel across 5 flights but who cares) so nothing in this experience sounds horrible or extraordinary. On the flip side, I've learn the arbitrary 3.5 hr rule from this post which is good information to have - so I thank the respondents for sharing the facts. I hope everything worked out for your wife and arrived safely, relaxed nor stressed.
To your post - I agree with others you are not due any compensation. If UA reviews you are frequent high-ticket travelers they will provide a voucher otherwise, anticipate a message safety is most important factor of the airline operation and Sorry!

BTW - I don't know your age or personally but using the this 'old mind' statement doesn't really fly in today's environment as current POTUS of USA is 73. He beat an opponent who is 71. And the competitors to replace him for 2020 are 76 and 77. Unless, you are older than this average - you have a young mind.
djmp, chavala and nancypants like this.
Old Sep 7, 2019, 12:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by Delta1949
that poor lady is dragging a load of luggage around......
Door to door baggage services are readily available and might better suit her disposition.

she will have to take a taxi at her expense to the hotel!
In all of our years of flying weve never nickel dimed anyone trying to get a buck here or there
Your putting emphasis on a $10 uber ride makes me believe otherwise.
Old Sep 7, 2019, 12:50 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.99MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Discussions here a getting a bit "overly personal" -- we have long found on FT it is best to avoid discussing the other posters or attributing personal motivations as the discussion tends to degenerate into personal attacks, insults. We are here to help each other. Let's focus on the issues and not the posters.

WineCountryUA
UA coModerator
nancypants likes this.
Old Sep 7, 2019, 3:31 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by RooseveltL
@Delta1949 - I understand your point of view as you would anticipate more apathy and compassion for the described situation. IMO, FT is straight talk and many of these expert travelers will not feel compassion for the situation & its etc. (age of traveler, difficulty of bags, status at hotel, length of delay) but just the relevant facts - if the airline cares, at fault or not. I do read your post as more victimhood vs. a real inconvenience (as travel in the USA is prone to delays (especially late in the day flights) - I've accumulated 8 hrs of delays in the last 1.5 weeks of travel across 5 flights but who cares) so nothing in this experience sounds horrible or extraordinary. On the flip side, I've learn the arbitrary 3.5 hr rule from this post which is good information to have - so I thank the respondents for sharing the facts. I hope everything worked out for your wife and arrived safely, relaxed nor stressed.
To your post - I agree with others you are not due any compensation. If UA reviews you are frequent high-ticket travelers they will provide a voucher otherwise, anticipate a message safety is most important factor of the airline operation and Sorry!

BTW - I don't know your age or personally but using the this 'old mind' statement doesn't really fly in today's environment as current POTUS of USA is 73. He beat an opponent who is 71. And the competitors to replace him for 2020 are 76 and 77. Unless, you are older than this average - you have a young mind.
Yeah, not being a regular in the forums I must admit Im ignorant of the nuance re what is considered appropriate posting. I can accept that as read my post might have been seen as whiny but truthfully I was just trying to fill in all the details. Obviously, I did a lousy job of doing that! Ha!

Regardless, I did get an answer: my wife isnt entitled to compensation from UA. I can live with that.

thanks everybody......

Old Sep 7, 2019, 4:29 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1.8MM
....I did get an answer: my wife isnt entitled to compensation from UA. I can live with that.
Not sure it's that cut & dried.
It seems some here reckon it's at the edge where some compensation seems just (even if not 100% according to UA's rules).

​​​​​​At this point, I actually hoped you did write to UA, just to see what their reply would be, and what compensation they'd offer (if any).

^

Last edited by narvik; Sep 7, 2019 at 4:35 pm
Old Sep 7, 2019, 5:11 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
I can accept that as read my post might have been seen as whiny
It wasn't. I have a low threshold for that and it wasn't triggered.

I've complained at 3.5 hours (with special circumstances) and received comp, though 4 is the normal cut-off.
Old Sep 7, 2019, 5:30 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.99MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
... I did get an answer: my wife isn’t entitled to compensation from UA. ...
I would phrase the thread summary a bit different.
There is no "entitled" compensation, correct
This was a bit below the standard where UA proactively provides compensation as an internal policy.
As this is a delay caused by an incoming aircraft have an MX delay -- its a bit fuzzier but as a paid F arriving too late for planned transportation, it might be reward by a UA exception. Keep the message short and without extraneous info.

The plane was late due to incoming aircraft delay due to MX. Paid F passenger arrived so late, alternative transportation had to be arranged --- No more details than that other than flight #, date. PNR, passenger name, and MP account id. And then an expression of disappointment, you had expected better. You could provide the Uber bill. Don't ask for anything specific. Done
Delta1949 likes this.
Old Sep 7, 2019, 5:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
Yeah, not being a regular in the forums I must admit Im ignorant of the nuance re what is considered appropriate posting. I can accept that as read my post might have been seen as whiny but truthfully I was just trying to fill in all the details. Obviously, I did a lousy job of doing that! Ha!

Regardless, I did get an answer: my wife isnt entitled to compensation from UA. I can live with that.

thanks everybody......
i see the word compensation used in many of the responses (as well as in the OP), which is fine. But if were getting into the semantics, compensation isnt due or required, but almost always, if you write in and give a reasoned, brief explanation, UA will provide a gesture of goodwill. At 4 hours, its sometimes automatic (ie, there will be an e-mail when you land with a link for options). But if its over 2 hours or so and not due to weather, IMO, its still reasonable to write in and ask, and theyll often give some sort of voucher or miles. Not required, of course, but often, they will do it, even if you dont ask.

sometimes, even if you write in with a more minor issue and specifically say dont give me anything, they will. For example, a few years ago, when there were still different versions of the 739, I was on an already delayed and full flight (short delay - probably 30-60 minutes), which then was further delayed by 30 minutes or so because they assigned seats in rows 14 and 15 to passengers, even though those rows didnt exist on the configuration of our plane (interestingly enough, it wasnt a last minute swap, they were somehow just using a wrong seatmap). So that took time to sort out. I wrote a short note afterwards saying something along the lines of dont know how this happened, but really, this was completely avoidable, and please make sure you fix it, and I dont want anything except the knowing that this same avoidable issue wont affect another plane load of passengers. Sure enough, with my response came an ETC, even though I specifically asked not for anything.
Old Sep 7, 2019, 7:41 pm

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
I would phrase the thread summary a bit different.
There is no "entitled" compensation, correct
This was a bit below the standard where UA proactively provides compensation as an internal policy.
As this is a delay caused by an incoming aircraft have an MX delay -- its a bit fuzzier but as a paid F arriving too late for planned transportation, it might be reward by a UA exception. Keep the message short and without extraneous info.

The plane was late due to incoming aircraft delay due to MX. Paid F passenger arrived so late, alternative transportation had to be arranged --- No more details than that other than flight #, date. PNR, passenger name, and MP account id. And then an expression of disappointment, you had expected better. You could provide the Uber bill. Don't ask for anything specific. Done
@Delta1949 I second WineCountryUA 's recommended response and echo many FT's suggestion to just send a note and see what happens. Please let us know how it works out, if you do sent the note. We would love to hear how it all turns out. Thanks for sharing.
Delta1949 likes this.

Last edited by Kitto; Sep 8, 2019 at 8:28 am
Old Nov 4, 2019, 1:11 pm
Original Poster

Guess what......we took the thread device, my wife submitted a cordial request, and she received just recently a $124 electronic travel certificate for her inconvenience.

nice......
jsloan likes this.
Old Nov 4, 2019, 1:55 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
Guess what......we took the thread device, my wife submitted a cordial request, and she received just recently a $124 electronic travel certificate for her inconvenience.

nice......
Good outcome. Nothing ventured, nothing gained.
Old Nov 4, 2019, 2:10 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM

nice......
Any guesses on how UA came up with the amount of precisely $124? I would have expected $100/$125/$150 etc.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.