FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   United Airlines | MileagePlus (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus-681/)
-   -   Lounge Access when flight booked with miles but status on another carrier (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus/1986202-lounge-access-when-flight-booked-miles-but-status-another-carrier.html)

andymcdonnell Sep 6, 2019 12:41 pm

Lounge Access when flight booked with miles but status on another carrier

Hi guys. I’m currently Star Gold with TK but I’ve used miles from A3 to book a United flight from SFO-SBO. I’m assuming my A3 number will be against the booking so is there a way to use my TK status to access the UA lounge at SFO?

nomad420 Sep 6, 2019 12:51 pm

No as that is a domestic flight, you would have to have a pass or be a club member. I assume you are not connecting in SFO from an international flight.

aacharya Sep 6, 2019 1:01 pm

Actually the OP can access as a non UA Star Gold.

jhayes_1780 Sep 6, 2019 1:06 pm

Yes, just provide your *G credentials, along with your UA BP and you should be good.

nomad420 Sep 6, 2019 1:24 pm

Originally Posted by aacharya (Post 31498163)
Actually the OP can access as a non UA Star Gold.

Sorry, I thought that was only for international flights not a solely domestic run. Thanks for the corrections.

Kacee Sep 6, 2019 1:30 pm

Originally Posted by nomad420 (Post 31498256)
Sorry, I thought that was only for international flights not a solely domestic run. Thanks for the corrections.

Only UA *G are barred from UCs on domestic flights.

nomad420 Sep 6, 2019 2:13 pm

Originally Posted by Kacee (Post 31498280)

I think this is the second time I have been corrected on this :( . So let's say I fly on LH a lot next year and get *G through them as well as have *G through UA (as I do now) could I still gain unfettered access to the UCs by using my *G acquired from LH?

emcampbe Sep 6, 2019 2:20 pm

Originally Posted by nomad420 (Post 31498402)
I think this is the second time I have been corrected on this :( . So let's say I fly on LH a lot next year and get *G through them as well as have *G through UA (as I do now) could I still gain unfettered access to the UCs by using my *G acquired from LH?

yes. A UA gold, plat or 1K doesn’t have access to UA club on domestic itineraries. If you are *G on any other carrier, you do. The US is generally the only place where this is true, as they are also the only carriers that typically sell club memberships - the other carriers only use them for *G or those in premium cabin, and it’s available on all flights.

AC is a bit of an oddball also, they sell memberships separately, but *G through AC gets MLL Access on both domestic and international itineraries.

MatthewLAX Sep 6, 2019 2:22 pm

Originally Posted by nomad420 (Post 31498402)

You can.

I did that for years with BD, then SK, then TK.

MSPeconomist Sep 6, 2019 2:26 pm

Originally Posted by emcampbe (Post 31498427)

yes. A UA gold, plat or 1K doesn’t have access to UA club on domestic itineraries. If you are *G on any other carrier, you do. The US is generally the only place where this is true, as they are also the only carriers that typically sell club memberships - the other carriers only use them for *G or those in premium cabin, and it’s available on all flights.

AC is a bit of an oddball also, they sell memberships separately, but *G through AC gets MLL Access on both domestic and international itineraries.

Another anomaly is that a UA *Gold gets partner lounge access when flying UA domestic flights in the USA. [Of course so do all *A *Golds.]

andymcdonnell Sep 7, 2019 5:40 am

Thanks for the replies

FlyerGoldII Sep 7, 2019 1:36 pm

I am a Star Alliance Gold through AC's Aeroplan.
Yes, as a non-UA Star Alliance Gold member, I can access United Club lounges on UA domestic (US) flights.
But not all UA lounge receptionists (in my experience) always remember the distinction - some have refused me entry until I had to go over with them the UA entry criteria for non UA Star Alliance Gold members.

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist (Post 31498452)
Another anomaly is that a UA *Gold gets partner lounge access when flying UA domestic flights in the USA. [Of course so do all *A *Golds.]

Another thing of interest re: AC lounge access.
If one does not fly business class and if one does not have status, one can for a fee get lounge access.
However, that fee has to be paid on-line with on-line check-in; one can not pay for lounge access at the lounge reception desk!

emcampbe Sep 7, 2019 8:05 pm

Originally Posted by FlyerGoldII (Post 31501441)
I am a Star Alliance Gold through AC's Aeroplan.
Yes, as a non-UA Star Alliance Gold member, I can access United Club lounges on UA domestic (US) flights.
But not all UA lounge receptionists (in my experience) always remember the distinction - some have refused me entry until I had to go over with them the UA entry criteria for non UA Star Alliance Gold !

Doesn’t scanning the BP at reception not work to allow access at a UA club?

My experience is as a UA Gold (in the past), but as long as the MP number was listed, just a scan of the BP on an eligible itinerary worked to grant access - didn’t even have to be say, a US-Canada leg - even the BP for the domestic connector would grant access. Does that not work if your AP number is on the record and properly noted as a *G?

docbert Sep 7, 2019 8:27 pm

As others have said, you can simply show the TK card to get access.

However presuming you haven't checked in yet you can also change the FF number on the booking to the TK one. You likely can't do this online (you can't on the UA side, but might be able to on the A3 side), but UA will be able to do it over the phone or at the airport as long as you haven't checked in yet.

This won't have any impact on the "payment" for the flights (ie, the A3 miles), nor will it impact earning (as there isn't any for a reward flight!) but will give full *G benefits.

Kannai Sep 8, 2019 3:51 am

Originally Posted by Kacee (Post 31498280)

--> on domestic flights within the US.

One related point that I've heard some people get wrong is that when you travel domestically in other countries you do have lounge access as a UA *G. I use the NH lounge on domestic flights in Japan and the AC lounge in Canada. No international connection needed.