Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Connecting with bags on separate tickets at CDG Airport

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Connecting with bags on separate tickets at CDG Airport

Search this Thread

Old Sep 7, 2019, 11:46 am
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.99MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
The OP acknowledge the recommendations of earlier posters and 23 hours ago posted
Originally Posted by Deenee
I guess I’ll just have to pick a later flight
I arrive at CDG 6:55am I just saw there’s a flight to FCO at 10:30am. 3 1/2 hours should give us enough time?
Old Sep 8, 2019, 8:50 am
Original Poster

What does everyone recommend? Would 3.5 hrs be enough between two separate flights? And yes, I would have to check bags again.
Old Sep 8, 2019, 9:09 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
What does everyone recommend? Would 3.5 hrs be enough between two separate flights? And yes, I would have to check bags again.
It is unfortunately subjective and purely a matter of your own personal risk tolerance.

3.5 hours is enough time if your flight is on time or not substantially delayed. It is not enough time if there is a delay. Whether there is a delay for weather, mechanical, crowds at passport control or whatever, is not predictable beyond the next few hours.

The question to you is what it will cost to purchase new tickets on the day of travel if you are delayed and cannot obtain credit or rerouting under the onwards tickets? That is the risk factor.
Old Sep 8, 2019, 10:56 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
3 hours would be my minimum. You will still want to think about how to mitigate a substantial inbound delay. In particular, if you purchase one of the cheap, non-changeable AF tickets, you will have a very expensive problem in that scenario.

May I suggest you give up on CDG? It is a horrible airport for transfers, and because it is not a Star Alliance hub, you can't check bags through. You would be much better off routing through MUC, FRA, ZRH, VIE, or BRU.
jsloan, coolbeans202 and chavala like this.
Old Sep 8, 2019, 1:47 pm

Programs: United 1MM GS, Marriott Platinum Elite, Hilton Diamond, Hertz President's Circle
Originally Posted by seenitall
By the EU passports line and retinal scan wicket? If so, I've never seen it. Nor has any UA employee offered me an Access no.1 ticket on arrival. When/where are these distributed?
There absolutely is an Access #1 for INCOMING passengers. As others have said, you turn left when coming off the moving walkway from the UA arrival gates instead of turning right to regular passport control.

In in terms of the Access #1 pass, the global services rep standing at the end of the jet bridge after deplaning has them and gives me one when I tell them I’m GS. I don’t know if you are 1K or other business class where you would get one. Also I don’t have any experience with just using a J boarding pass for entry into the Access 1 queue. But apparently others have had success doing that.

To the OP, CDG is terrible for interterminal transfers. I would vote 3 hours minimum. Doable in less time yes, but you have to be pretty familiar with the airport and hope another widebody has not unloaded passengers before you. I’ve had coworkers regularly tell me about 1.5 hour immigration lines getting through T1 passport control.
Old Sep 8, 2019, 5:19 pm

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, AA EXP, HH Diamond, MR Gold, Avis PC, Hertz PC
sorry I should also clarify that we will end up in Paris on the last leg of the trip for a few days and fly home from CDG. I’m just trying to figure out the best way to get to the Amalfi coast from IAD.
Originally Posted by Kacee
May I suggest you give up on CDG? It is a horrible airport for transfers, and because it is not a Star Alliance hub, you can't check bags through. You would be much better off routing through MUC, FRA, ZRH, VIE, or BRU.
To add to what Kacee said, I would suggest looking at a multi-city booking that will have you flying into NAP and out of CDG (you said you will be spending a few days in Paris on the way home) with a separately booked NAP-CDG leg. Or you could build a multi-city itinerary with a stopover in CDG.

Both are certainly doable and the first option may not add much additional cost. I recently did something similar by booking EWR-BRU then BUD-FRA-EWR and bought a separate Eurowings ticket in between BRU and BUD after spending a few days in the Brussels area.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.