Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Strange seat change request from purser

Search this Thread

Old Sep 6, 2019, 1:09 pm

Programs: UA MM Plat, UA 1MM, Hilton Lifetime Gold, Marriott Gold, Hertz Gold, CLEAR, AS MVP Gold
Always good to have a NRSA available to throw around! I was flying SFO-FRA and my monitor didn't work in F. When I told the FA she went to whom I was later told was a NRSA pax who gladly swapped with me. He said he just wanted to sleep the whole flight anyhow.
Old Sep 6, 2019, 2:26 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP. Hilton Diamond
My rule number 1 for accepting a seat swap request is a basic requirement I end up better off than off than I was before. No way, no how would I ever swap from an operable to a broken seat in J.

The veiled attempt at guilting the OP with a statement like the price paid for their seat vs the GS member's claim of $12k is the mildly insulting part. That said, while its tacky to ask with the phrasing they used, I'd let it go now since the FA dropped it immediately then.

Tackiness is a standard feature of domestic US carriers included in your fare.
Old Sep 6, 2019, 2:30 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by nomad420
Always good to have a NRSA available to throw around! I was flying SFO-FRA and my monitor didn't work in F. When I told the FA she went to whom I was later told was a NRSA pax who gladly swapped with me. He said he just wanted to sleep the whole flight anyhow.
No NRSA was thrown or otherwise harmed in this thread. It's a condition of NRSA travel for "free" that they do swap seats with a revenue customer when requested by airline staff, just as they're supposed to get the last meal choice, etc.
Old Sep 6, 2019, 2:53 pm

Programs: UA MM Plat, UA 1MM, Hilton Lifetime Gold, Marriott Gold, Hertz Gold, CLEAR, AS MVP Gold
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
No NRSA was thrown or otherwise harmed in this thread. It's a condition of NRSA travel for "free" that they do swap seats with a revenue customer when requested by airline staff, just as they're supposed to get the last meal choice, etc.
I was of course joking and travel with NRSA often. I have spoken to FAs and NRSA paxs and it is really great when something like this comes up and they have a NRSA pax who generally is more than happy to help out as they are flying for "free" and generally are just glad to have gotten on a flight that they needed. It is often a win-win situation from what I have seen.
MSPeconomist likes this.
Old Sep 6, 2019, 2:57 pm

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by nomad420
I was of course joking and travel with NRSA often. I have spoken to FAs and NRSA paxs and it is really great when something like this comes up and they have a NRSA pax who generally is more than happy to help out as they are flying for "free" and generally are just glad to have gotten on a flight that they needed. It is often a win-win situation from what I have seen.
I was joking too, and trying to quote the "no animals were harmed in the making of this motion picture" Humane Society certification line. Of course we appreciate it when nonrevs do the right thing to help make a flight better for a customer. Sometimes the classy ones offer before being asked.

wrp96, nomad420 and Kitto like this.
Old Sep 6, 2019, 3:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, AS 75k, AA Plat, Bonvoyed Gold, Honors Dia, Hyatt Explorer, IHG Plat, ...
Originally Posted by chavala

A swap to a broken seat is a downgrade
While I, of course, agree in a colloquial sense, I have only ever seen the terms upgrade and downgrade used formally for changes of cabin (or E- to E+). Does UA’s downgrade compensation rules consider this scenario?

Old Sep 6, 2019, 3:28 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by notquiteaff
...Does UA’s downgrade compensation rules consider this scenario?
Downgraded from First/Business Class on United (Questions, Compensation, etc.) only handles involuntary downgrades due to oversells.
notquiteaff likes this.
Old Sep 6, 2019, 3:29 pm

Programs: United Global Services, Amtrak Select Executive
Was on E75 yesterday in 1A & FA asked on initial descent if I'd be willing to switch w little girl on other side aisle for landing so she could see statue of liberty & NYC skyline out left side windows. I said fine of course. FA a few minutes later was rooting around in the overhead & asked "is this your bag?" I was all like yeah? When I got off the plane I felt like my bag was a bit heavy & looked inside to find this!

Originally Posted by catocony
The FAs or other passengers can request anything they want. You can refuse any request by saying no. It's that simple.

"Would you like to move to a broken seat?' "No"
"Would you give up your aisle seat for a middle seat?" "No"

Saying no solves all kinds of weird request problems.
This is such an irrelevant & unhelpful comment, because FAs have a massive power differential over pax on an airplane. An inappropriate request like this is very troubling regardless of whether the pax says "no".

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Sep 6, 2019 at 3:50 pm Reason: merged consecutive posts by same member
Old Sep 6, 2019, 4:50 pm

Originally Posted by physioprof
FA a few minutes later was rooting around in the overhead & asked "is this your bag?" I was all like yeah? When I got off the plane I felt like my bag was a bit heavy & looked inside to find this!

Nice gesture, but I would not be impressed having a FA root through my bag.
chavala likes this.
Old Sep 6, 2019, 6:09 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Putting aside the baseless allegations regarding the other passenger and whether he is an employee, a GS, or whatever, there was nothing wrong with the ask and nothing wrong with OP's response.

What was poor form was telling OP that the other passenger was a GS and what the GS said he had paid for his ticket.

FA's have the ability to dole out low levels of miles for specified issues, but not to offer ETC's or large mileage amounts. So that was not happening either.
txaggiemiles likes this.
Old Sep 6, 2019, 6:31 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by Often1
... FA's have the ability to dole out low levels of miles for specified issues, but not to offer ETC's ....
Beleive FAs can do ETCs and the FA could have requested an ETC for a broken seat for either the original seat occupant of the OP. Might have not been large enough for the OP or others but it was an option. As the OPs and other have speculated the FA was just as happy with the decline because it provided a non-debateable answer for the original passenger, hence the issue was dropped quickly without any bargaining.
ExplorerWannabe likes this.
Old Sep 6, 2019, 6:49 pm

Programs: United 1k, Hawaiian Premier
Last year, I was traveling from HNL - NRT in business on a non-Polaris 772. The seat next to me was the only open seat in the biz-class cabin.

About a 2 hours into the flight, the lovely purser (who I'd flown with a few times before) asked if she could move another 1K passenger into the empty seat next to me because their seat, apparently, had "too much light" (I kid you not). I was having a great time enjoying the flight and the impeccable service, and had no problems agreeing to this. In hindsight, I think it was very Japanese of them to be so polite as to ask me if I was ok with it in the first place.

After an hour or so, the passenger went back to his original seat anyway. When I landed, I had a $400 ETC in my email for my trouble.
Old Sep 6, 2019, 7:55 pm

Programs: Platinum Pro. .Hilton Honors Gold,
No one should ever be given a broken seat. Not even a Nonrev.
Old Sep 6, 2019, 8:01 pm

Originally Posted by D3KingAmerican
No one should ever be given a broken seat. Not even a Nonrev.
Many nonrevs would prefer to get onto the flight than not, and would prefer FC or business class over the remaining middle seat in the back row of coach. It's also a way to get one more (standby/nonrev) passenger onto the flight versus waiting to the next day if they're not eligible for a jumpseast. Everyone wins (and presumably the nonrev would have the option before boarding or either standby for the next flight or a remaining seat in a lower cabin).
ExplorerWannabe likes this.
Old Sep 6, 2019, 8:30 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond Ambassador, Marriott Platinum, Hyatt Globalist, BA Silver
Originally Posted by VegasGambler
I'm flying SFO-FRA. I'm gold and my mileage upgrade cleared at the gate (from premium economy) so I got one of the last couple of polaris seats.

About an hour into the flight someone (I think the purser) comes up to me and says that her app isn't updated and asked to see my BP. I mentioned that I was upgraded at the gate, and showed her my new BP. Then she asked if I could do her a favor, so I asked her what it was.

She told me that there was a GS passenger who had paid $12k for his ticket and his seat would not recline all the way, and asked if I'd switch with him. It was clearly a request (not an instruction) and very polite. I just said "I'd rather not". She didn't push the issue so I never had the chance to explain my reasoning to her, but, basically:

1. My upgrade was not free, and, more importantly,
2. It's not like he paid me $12k.

Does anyone else think that this is a strange request? Is anyone really going to volunteer to move into a broken seat (in exchange for nothing -- no compensation was offered) just because the guy in the seat has high status and bought a full fare ticket? I hope UA compensates him well, but that has to come out of their pocket, not mine.
"Would you like to switch to a much inferior seat because we have someone much more important than you who deserves a working seat and you are a nobody."
MSPeconomist and wrp96 like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.