Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Booked EVA with UA miles—no upgrades

Search this Thread

Old Sep 5, 2019, 5:40 pm
Original Poster

Booked EVA with UA miles—no upgrades

I just booked round trip ORD-TPE-CEB regular economy on Eva Air with my UA miles, thinking I could upgrade to premium economy paying $$$. But lo and behold! After talking to both Eva and UA, to my surprise this is not allowed!! I could only upgrade if it was an actual bought ticket, but mileage-paid ticket is not upgradeable per Eva. And United could not do anything about it. I just find this so illogical and stupid. You would think any airline would welcome more money from its customers. Any thoughts? Thank you.
eric.chen3742 likes this.
Old Sep 5, 2019, 6:06 pm

Programs: UA 1K, DL PM, AA Nobody, Marriott Ambassador Elite
My thought is that is too long in economy and to cancel that ticket and re-book in premium economy. Do you have any GPU's? Lots of better ways to get to CEB than riding in Economy.
eric.chen3742 likes this.
Old Sep 5, 2019, 6:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: HH Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Gold, Hyatt something
Book what you need. You never know if upgrades will be sold or available. I found lots of BR biz awards last month.
Old Sep 5, 2019, 6:11 pm

Programs: TINDER GOLD, STARBUCKS GOLD, COSTCO EXECUTIVE!!
Why would an airline upgrade someone who spent miles from a different airline's program over their own paying customers?
bocastephen and Miggles like this.
Old Sep 5, 2019, 6:18 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Welcome to FT, rlagtapo!

Originally Posted by rlagtapo
You would think any airline would welcome more money from its customers.
They will. You can always pay the full Premium Economy fare if that's where you want to sit. To my knowledge, United doesn't allow it even on their own metal (they offer paid upgrades to F, but AFAIK not to PE). In general, when you book an award ticket on any airline, expect to fly it as booked.
Old Sep 5, 2019, 8:29 pm

Programs: UA 1K, DL PM, AA Nobody, Marriott Ambassador Elite
Originally Posted by keitherson
Why would an airline upgrade someone who spent miles from a different airline's program over their own paying customers?
Because the OP is offering to pay and might not completely understand how all of this works.
Old Sep 5, 2019, 8:40 pm

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
I just booked round trip ORD-TPE-CEB regular economy on Eva Air with my UA miles, thinking I could upgrade to premium economy paying $$$. But lo and behold! After talking to both Eva and UA, to my surprise this is not allowed!! I could only upgrade if it was an actual bought ticket, but mileage-paid ticket is not upgradeable per Eva. And United could not do anything about it. I just find this so illogical and stupid. You would think any airline would welcome more money from its customers. Any thoughts? Thank you.
This is a fairly standard rule for various FF programs.
TerryK, jrpallante and Miggles like this.
Old Sep 5, 2019, 8:43 pm

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
It's generally a good idea to check the rules before you buy your ticket.
Old Sep 5, 2019, 11:45 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1.8MM
I just find this so illogical and stupid. You would think any airline would welcome more money from its customers. Any thoughts?
It would be rather difficult to establish exactly how much such an upgrade would/should cost.
Seems logical and sensible to disallowed it, IMO.
Old Sep 6, 2019, 7:56 am

Programs: Honors LT Diamond; United 1K; Hertz PC
Originally Posted by narvik
It would be rather difficult to establish exactly how much such an upgrade would/should cost.
Seems logical and sensible to disallowed it, IMO.
Fully concur in the current landscape but once the programs transition to a fare-based redemption model (vs. fixed points/zone) redemption it would be an easier calculation — I don’t think though that that will have an (immediate) change in policy especially for cross-airline redemptions as in the OPs case — aside from the technical issues there are very practical business reasons to disincentivize this even for your own passengers to protect the value of the seat
Old Sep 6, 2019, 11:03 am

This is pretty standard procedure, though it still seems illogical. I can understand EVA prioritizing their own customers, so it would be reasonable if they denied your upgrade until closer to flight time. But why on earth would any airline let a premium seat remain empty when somebody is willing to pay additional cash for that seat? Many years ago, Delta would offer cash upgrades at the gate to fill up vacant first class seats. Depending on the route, they might start the offer at $200. If there were no takers, they would gradually lower the price until they sold off those seats, sometimes going as low as $50. I bought several of these last-minute upgrades from AUS, which put a few more dollars in Delta's pocket with no significant cost on their part (except for a frozen dinner and one bloody mary).
Old Sep 6, 2019, 11:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by jrpallante
But why on earth would any airline let a premium seat remain empty when somebody is willing to pay additional cash for that seat? Many years ago, Delta would offer cash upgrades at the gate to fill up vacant first class seats. Depending on the route, they might start the offer at $200. If there were no takers, they would gradually lower the price until they sold off those seats, sometimes going as low as $50.
The airlines would go bankrupt (again) if they offered that scheme, because people would quickly learn that there was no need to pay for premium seats in advance. This is precisely why there's no* true first class in the domestic US market (and why the price differential between economy and first is so low).

* certain transcontinental flights excepted
lincolnjkc likes this.
Old Sep 6, 2019, 11:29 am

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Very simple - you have the following choices, and this is how it works.

1. keep the economy ticket, and if PE seats are unsold at check-in, you can pay a per-segment upgrade fee at the EVA counter in ORD and again in TPE to upgrade into PE - but if PE is sold out, you will be stuck in coach
2. cancel the economy ticket and redeem a PE or J ticket

You cannot pay to upgrade a free mileage ticket....and this is the case on virtually every airline in the world.
MSPeconomist likes this.
Old Sep 6, 2019, 12:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat, Marriott Gold
I agree with OP it's quite arbitrary, and with everyone else that it's well documented.
Old Sep 7, 2019, 6:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by bocastephen
Very simple - you have the following choices, and this is how it works.

1. keep the economy ticket, and if PE seats are unsold at check-in, you can pay a per-segment upgrade fee at the EVA counter in ORD and again in TPE to upgrade into PE - but if PE is sold out, you will be stuck in coach
2. cancel the economy ticket and redeem a PE or J ticket

You cannot pay to upgrade a free mileage ticket....and this is the case on virtually every airline in the world.
I was thinking OP was thinking about airport stand-by upgrade, which I thought was available on BR for everyone like BocaStephen said. I was not even thinking OP was thinking about advanced upgrade, which of course is not possible.

Does anyone know how much the stand-by Y -> PE upgrade is for BR?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.