Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Polaris lounge access for global service and 1ks as a status benefit?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Polaris lounge access for global service and 1ks as a status benefit?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 10, 2019, 10:07 am

Programs: DL DM
Originally Posted by skylane
Yes. It'll just cost you a GPU.
But it would first need to clear
Old Sep 10, 2019, 10:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by LondonElite
That's an assumption that is likely to be only partially true. Anyone who owns/manages their own business is also spending their own money, and everyone needs to consider how much is recharged to clients. It's rarely black/white my money/OPM. But regardless of that, what does it matter? UA doesn't care where the money comes from, as long as money comes, and better regularly at that.
That's why I said "mostly". The GSs I know out of Houston work for international companies holding UA corporate travel deals. It's hard for them to even say they have much discretion for their directed spending. And you're right, to UA it doesn't matter the actual source of the $.

It would be interesting to see what would happen UA decided to up the $ requirement significantly for flyers who were bound to UA for travel via corporate contract anyway. The GSs I know probably would be unhappy with their loss of FF godliness, but they'd still have to fly UA for the most part. What would be left would the GSs who actually have more discretion in their spending and would be a higher ROR relative to the benefits doled.

Last edited by IAH-OIL-TRASH; Sep 10, 2019 at 11:44 am
Old Sep 10, 2019, 10:49 am

Originally Posted by UA_Flyer

No exactly right! SQ’s First and Silverkris Lounge at Terminal 3 in Singapore are not for Gold. ANA Suite Lounge is another.
1Ks aren’t allowed in the SilverKris Lounge in Terminal 3 at SIN any longer????
Old Sep 10, 2019, 11:02 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by FLYMSY
1Ks aren’t allowed in the SilverKris Lounge in Terminal 3 at SIN any longer????
Never have been, at least not based on status.

It's a business class lounge.
Old Sep 10, 2019, 11:27 am
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by eng3
The original comment was just stating that of UA really wanted to open up to PL lounge to more people (without creating overcrowding) they can just build more lounges similar to how it is currently done with many *G lounges outside the US. It is not an insurmountable task, it just depends how much UA wants to spend.
And the comment of others was UA is not unique in having lounges the do not include *G (contrary to the original statement). There is no particular reason for UA to open PL to *G as there are existing *G lounges operated by UA. The OP was proposing additional PL access just for GS, 1K -- a significantly smaller group but still large enough to overwhelm the PLs.

And yes it is about $$$$ as is also true for the multiple other non-*G lounges in the *A system.
Old Sep 10, 2019, 2:34 pm

Originally Posted by Kacee
Never have been, at least not based on status.

It's a business class lounge.
O.K., let me clarify. Are 1Ks in Polaris no longer allowed in the SIN SilverKris Lounge in Terminal 3?
Old Sep 10, 2019, 2:35 pm

O.K., let me clarify. Are 1Ks in Polaris no longer allowed in the SIN SilverKris Lounge in Terminal 3?
IME any star alliance business class passenger can access the SIN Silver Kris lounge regardless of status.
canadiancow and Kacee like this.
Old Sep 10, 2019, 6:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*Lifetime GS, Hyatt* Lifetime Globalist
Originally Posted by myperks
IME any star alliance business class passenger can access the SIN Silver Kris lounge regardless of status.
That is correct. Unfortunately, most of the *A alliance carriers fly out of terminal 1 or 2 (United). Unless one has a lot of time, T3 SilverKris Lounge is not exactly convenient to visit.

SilverKris Lounge at T2 is average.

I read that T3 Silverkris and Krisflyer Gold Lounges will be going through major renovations soon.
Old Sep 10, 2019, 7:13 pm

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
1K has nothing to do with it. The SKLs at SIN are open to *A business class passengers, regardless of status.
Old Sep 11, 2019, 8:21 pm

Programs: UA 1KMM, Bonvoy LTE+A, HH D, Nat'l EE, Hertz Plat, Avis PC
Crowding issues, declining quality of PLs, etc. aside, there is simply no financial benefit to UA opening access up to 1Ks or GSs. They want to encourage people to buy int'l J, not Y. And it's not like anyone (who already flies enough to have GS or 1K status) is going to throw a whole bunch more business UA's way because they can have access to these lounges even when flying coach.

If anything, and I know this will be heresy here on FT, they need to crack down on the current access rules perhaps only allowing paid tickets and not upgrades, op-ups, etc. The nice thing about the old GFLs was that there were so few seats that qualified that they could actually deliver an impressive lounge product. There are so many int'l Polaris seats that they can't deliver a decent lounge experience (as has happened with the UCs) as it is.
Old Sep 11, 2019, 8:27 pm

Originally Posted by DJ_Iceman
If anything, and I know this will be heresy here on FT, they need to crack down on the current access rules perhaps only allowing paid tickets and not upgrades, op-ups, etc. The nice thing about the old GFLs was that there were so few seats that qualified that they could actually deliver an impressive lounge product. There are so many int'l Polaris seats that they can't deliver a decent lounge experience (as has happened with the UCs) as it is.
Based on my Polaris experiences (quite a few), the current issue with these lounges is not the number of pax who have access, but rather UA's unwillingness to spend the money on a quality soft product that measures up to the quite excellent hard product.
DJ_Iceman, AirbusFan2B and findark like this.
Old Sep 11, 2019, 8:29 pm

Programs: UA 1KMM, Bonvoy LTE+A, HH D, Nat'l EE, Hertz Plat, Avis PC
Can't argue with you there, Kacee. But I wonder if they spend the same $$ on drastically fewer passengers in the Polaris lounges, would the quality not improve?
Old Sep 11, 2019, 8:31 pm

Originally Posted by DJ_Iceman
Can't argue with you there, Kacee. But I wonder if they spend the same $$ on drastically fewer passengers in the Polaris lounges, would the quality not improve?
Nah, they'd just take the opportunity to cut spend even further

They're having a record year, and it's nothing but cut and devalue.
Old Sep 15, 2019, 2:20 am
hch

I'd settle for PL access after arriving on Code Share C and connecting to United F..
Catbert10, canadiancow and threeoh like this.
Old Sep 15, 2019, 10:58 am

Programs: Lifetime UA GS 22 million,AA 1m ,Hilton Li fetime diamond,marriott lifetime platinum hyatt diamond
Originally Posted by AsiaTravel2019
Noted. LH lets me into the JFK First Class lounge, whatever it's called, and man is it nice. I've never flown F with them.

But staying on topic, I agree. No relaxing the entry. EWR Polaris was bad enough both times I was there with all the kids running around.
I have been to a Polaris Lounge probably 100 times or more. I have encountered loud kids 2-3 times. neither time they were running around. You're timing must be terrible. I also find the food and service to be very good. I have been to the HON lounge and it is superior, but I would expect that from a First Class lounge vs. a Business Class Lounge.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.