Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Polaris lounge access for global service and 1ks as a status benefit?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Polaris lounge access for global service and 1ks as a status benefit?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 5, 2019, 11:17 am

Programs: UA GS ,QF Plat
Originally Posted by cfischer
that seems a bit extreme. Requiring $50k more consistently is something I guess we will start to see soon.
I think it has become 1k and a half ,would much rather it be a solid ,consistent elite program than what it is at the moment,it is not terrible but they need to raise the bar
Old Sep 5, 2019, 11:24 am

Programs: No longer loyal "over-entitled" 1K
UA may consider something like BA CCR Card for a sub-set of GS members. Other than that, I don’t think it’s even feasible to not have capacity problem.
seanp7 likes this.
Old Sep 5, 2019, 11:26 am

Originally Posted by AsiaTravel2019
Noted. LH lets me into the JFK First Class lounge, whatever it's called, and man is it nice. I've never flown F with them.
It most certainly was the SEN (*A Gold) lounge. The LH F lounge in JFK is just the small balcony on level above from the general Gold lounge which opens like 90 minutes before departure for the pre-flight dining. As F passenger you will be called in from the SEN lounge when they are ready for service.
Old Sep 5, 2019, 11:40 am
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by eng3
...Anywhere else in the world, a gold can goto any lounge. .....
Hardy

Try any First Class Lounge
or such as "Some member airlines offer exclusive lounges for their own ultra-premium customers: Lufthansa HON/First Class Lounges in Frankfurt and Munich; SWISS HON/First Class Lounges in Zurich and Geneva; Austrian HON/First Class Lounges in Vienna, Thai Airways Spa Lounge in Bangkok "
or AC's Signature Suite
or .....
Old Sep 5, 2019, 11:49 am

I guess nobody would complain if UA (or any other US carrier) just would put a bit more effort and love in their normal lounges. Actually, I usually rather stay around some bar in the terminal than go to a UC club.

And well, there are some REALLY crappy *A lounges around in Europe as well, like CDG SK or LH lounge, the old AMS lounge SK used and some more...
Old Sep 5, 2019, 1:45 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: IHG Spire, Hilton Honors Gold, Marriott Titanium, Mileage Plus Gold
Originally Posted by cfischer
that seems a bit extreme. Requiring $50k more consistently is something I guess we will start to see soon.
Why is it extreme? GS is supposed to be for United's cream of the crop spenders isn't it?
Old Sep 5, 2019, 2:58 pm

Programs: United Global Services, Amtrak Select Executive
Originally Posted by jp12687
As an EWR based GS I vote for GS access when flying on PS flights in first.

although I have taken to flying to SNA instead of LAX which isn’t PS. That atleast seems fair
I fly EWR-SNA on paid flexible first fares at least dozen times per year, get UC access as Amtrak Select Plus. If PS business got Polaris Lounge access, I would probably shift some of that to EWR-LAX.
Old Sep 5, 2019, 3:37 pm

Programs: UA PP 1MM, Marriott Bonvoy LTTE, BA Gold
Fun thread to create, but the answer for UA will be NO, NEVER. Volume of either (yet alone both) is just too much. I couldn't get a dining room seat in ORD last week, and they refused to bring a Burger to another table ("united policy, sorry"). It's a disaster going downhill. At this point, the PL's are just a nice bar to go to for complimentary drinks and flavored water before your flight. The pasta and Sliders at the buffet were "slightly above cafeteria" grade (IMO).
UA_Flyer likes this.
Old Sep 5, 2019, 7:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, DL Silver, UA Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Platinum + LT Gold
Originally Posted by Catbert10
Personally, I'd like to see two expansions to the Polaris Club access rules. First, I'd like to see United allow access for international destinations in Central America and Northern South America. Similar to AA's access policies to their Flagship Lounges. Second, allow access on arrival on a partner flight. An alternative to the second expansion would be to put some showers back in the UCs.
Crowding is a huge issue as is, Central America, Northern South America would create a zoo at all hours. UA has a lot of flights to/from those destinations.

There is no way to please everyone. If you are going to include such short duration flights, then why isn't Canada on the list?
Old Sep 5, 2019, 7:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by seat38a
Why is it extreme? GS is supposed to be for United's cream of the crop spenders isn't it?
Well, actually, most GSs are traveling on behalf of United’s cream of the crop spenders - I.e. OPM.
Santander likes this.
Old Sep 5, 2019, 7:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*Lifetime GS, Hyatt* Lifetime Globalist
GPU doesn't guarantee Polaris.

Also, if they REALLY wanted to open up access to lounges to GS and 1K, it is ofcourse possible. They can build more and/or larger lounges. Anywhere else in the world, a gold can goto any lounge. I wouldn't expect this to happen here in the US though.
No exactly right! SQ’s First and Silverkris Lounge at Terminal 3 in Singapore are not for Gold. ANA Suite Lounge is another.
Old Sep 6, 2019, 2:58 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by IAH-OIL-TRASH

Well, actually, most GSs are traveling on behalf of United’s cream of the crop spenders - I.e. OPM.
That's an assumption that is likely to be only partially true. Anyone who owns/manages their own business is also spending their own money, and everyone needs to consider how much is recharged to clients. It's rarely black/white my money/OPM. But regardless of that, what does it matter? UA doesn't care where the money comes from, as long as money comes, and better regularly at that.
Old Sep 6, 2019, 6:22 am

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum, Raddison Platinum, Avis Presidents Club
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
Hardy

Try any First Class Lounge
or such as "Some member airlines offer exclusive lounges for their own ultra-premium customers: Lufthansa HON/First Class Lounges in Frankfurt and Munich; SWISS HON/First Class Lounges in Zurich and Geneva; Austrian HON/First Class Lounges in Vienna, Thai Airways Spa Lounge in Bangkok "
or AC's Signature Suite
or .....
Originally Posted by UA_Flyer
No exactly right! SQ’s First and Silverkris Lounge at Terminal 3 in Singapore are not for Gold. ANA Suite Lounge is another.
Yes ofcourse. I clearly (perhaps no so clearly) meant star gold lounges
Old Sep 6, 2019, 10:50 am
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Yes ofcourse. I clearly (perhaps no so clearly) meant star gold lounges
But Polaris (the thread topic) is not a *G lounge and never as been positioned as such, so don't understand the orginal comment.
Old Sep 10, 2019, 9:52 am

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum, Raddison Platinum, Avis Presidents Club
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
But Polaris (the thread topic) is not a *G lounge and never as been positioned as such, so don't understand the orginal comment.
The original comment was just stating that of UA really wanted to open up to PL lounge to more people (without creating overcrowding) they can just build more lounges similar to how it is currently done with many *G lounges outside the US. It is not an insurmountable task, it just depends how much UA wants to spend.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.