United miles vs Lufthansa miles and more

Old Sep 2, 19, 3:52 pm
Original Poster

United miles vs Lufthansa miles and more

Hi,
I used to live close to a Delta hub and have Delta gold status. I fly from the US to Europe 3-6 times a year.
I now live close to a United/Lufthansa hub and consider switching mile programs. I already have a couple miles with LH but was wondering if it makes more sense for me the start with the United miles instead. All the long flights to Europe will be operated by LH though.

So basically the question is: what are the big differences between the United program and the LH program? Where do I get to keep my gold status from Delta - and which of the two is the most equivalent to the Delta status? (I have to say I'm one of the people who actually likes Delta quite a bit but only having a couple direct flight routes from the airport I live closest to doesn't work for me).

I care most about seat upgrades and less about lounges and free bags to check - I only fly with carry-on.

I'm also fine with switching my Delta credit card to the equivalent from LH/United if there is such thing (I know at least United has a program with Chase).

Thanks for your advice!
Old Sep 2, 19, 6:39 pm
Moderator: United Airlines; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold 1.85MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Gold
Been a while since we have had a good discussion on this but two prior threads are
UA MP vs. LH M&M [merged] In the LH forum
and United Mileage Plus versus Miles and More in the UA forum
Old Sep 3, 19, 7:56 am

Programs: UA 1K, DL PM, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Equivalent to DL Gold is roughly UA Gold (although UA Gold has more benefits, it has the same requirements as DL Gold) and LH SEN. SEN is much more difficult to obtain than any of the others, as it is basically a 100k tier status. If you can't manage SEN on LH (doubtful if you are only Gold on DL), then I don't think using M&M is a great idea - it is fairly strongly positioned to reward high-margin fliers at the expensive of low-margin ones.

UA Gold gets you Star Alliance Gold, which gives you limited benefits on LH which are probably superior to LH FTL (the lower LH status) for a similar number of miles. However, the only status that will get you meaningful "seat upgrades" on LH metal will be LH SEN (free seat assignments, free exit rows and bulkheads) - if you instead fly UA metal you can get Economy Plus for free at booking as a Gold.

Search this Thread