Phantom LH Revenue Inventory

Old Sep 2, 19, 2:16 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K 1MM; AS MVPG75K; Marriott Titanium; Hilton Diamond (Aspire); Hyatt Refugeeist
Phantom LH Revenue Inventory

Well here's a new one. Know well of issues with phantom LH award inventory. But now I've bumped into phantom LH revenue inventory.

Went to change TXL-FRA-SFO on the website last night. One of the options offered was LH189 connecting to UA927, both showing as P9 via the "change flights" tool. Made the change, change fee charged to my card, got the "itinerary processing email." Then nothing. Uh oh.

Called UA this morning. Got a helpful but none too creative agent. His screen also showed P9 for the LH flight, but he was unable to reissue the ticket. Lengthy hold while he called the rate desk. They reported that LH was not actually offering P inventory; lowest available fare class was a C for many thousands more. They called LH, which was unwilling to open P (surprise surprise). The solution UA offered was to put me in Y for TXL-FRA, which I declined. I suggested TXL-EWR-SFO on UA metal instead (Polarised 763 + 781). This flew, with a $26 fare refund (which will, coincidentally, ruin my requal at exactly $15,000 PQD). As consolation, I'll get Polaris access on arrival at SFO for a shower.

btw, the FRA-SFO flights are wide open in PZ and I for Sept. 4.
Old Sep 2, 19, 6:44 am

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by Kacee View Post
The solution UA offered was to put me in Y for TXL-FRA, which I declined. I suggested TXL-EWR-SFO on UA metal instead (Polarised 763 + 781). This flew, with a $26 fare refund (which will, coincidentally, ruin my requal at exactly $15,000 PQD). As consolation, I'll get Polaris access on arrival at SFO for a shower.
Wouldn't you have had Polaris access anyway on arrival UA 927?

Curious: is there any reason why, aside from the principle of the thing, you declined Y TXL-FRA? Feels like the risk of IRROPS at EWR is nonzero and I always prefer to clear CBP at destination. I imagine routing through EWR you are adding to total trip time, also, though likely getting home sooner vs. the 8pm arrival on UA 927.

(And yes, I know, how very un-FT of me to even think about minimizing total trip time )

LH IT and customer service is so atrocious right now. At least on a 016 ticket with UA agents you have people who can try to help. I hope someone in LH management sees that their phone booking fees and GDS charges have backfired.

Last edited by symphonicman; Sep 2, 19 at 6:46 am Reason: LH comments
Old Sep 2, 19, 6:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Gold, Amex Plat
was it available as the married segment as well? TXL-FRA alone might be available but not in combo with a TATL flight. I have found this to be the base even with LH/UA combos. Did you check EF if P showed available the entire way?
Old Sep 2, 19, 7:59 am

Programs: UA MM/1P, EK Ag, QR, TK, Marriott Life Ti, Hilton Dia, IC Spire, Hyatt Glob, Shangri-La
Same thing happened to me when I booked, or so I thought, an LX P (or maybe it was Z) fare. Had to call a couple days later when it didn't ticket and they booked me on a UA TATL segment.
Old Sep 2, 19, 8:07 am

Programs: UA 1K (1MM), DL Silver (1MM), Marriott LT Titanium
No flight TXL-FRA on 04Sept has P or Z open.

-RM
Old Sep 2, 19, 8:40 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K 1MM; AS MVPG75K; Marriott Titanium; Hilton Diamond (Aspire); Hyatt Refugeeist
Originally Posted by symphonicman View Post
Wouldn't you have had Polaris access anyway on arrival UA 927?
No, you can't access an airside lounge at final US destination. No way to clear security.
Curious: is there any reason why, aside from the principle of the thing, you declined Y TXL-FRA?
I just flew Y ZRH-TXL and really don't feel like battling for the armrest again. Plus I'm going to try to carry-on a slightly oversize roller and I think that works better in J.
Feels like the risk of IRROPS at EWR is nonzero and I always prefer to clear CBP at destination. I imagine routing through EWR you are adding to total trip time, also, though likely getting home sooner vs. the 8pm arrival on UA 927.
Same total travel time. Right now, I view transiting EWR as at worst neutral to FRA, with the random security slowdowns (see LH forum thread).
Originally Posted by RobOnLI View Post
No flight TXL-FRA on 04Sept has P or Z open.
Depends on which UA screen you're looking at. Showed P9 on the "change flights" screen last night; agent saw same this morning (Germany time), but couldn't book it.

It does look to me as if LH as a matter of policy is zeroing the discount intra-Europe fares within a week or so of departure. They're J9, so plenty of capacity.
Old Sep 2, 19, 8:46 am

Programs: UA 1 MM
... (which will, coincidentally, ruin my requal at exactly $15,000 PQD).
Ahhh, so THAT's what this is all about...
Kacee likes this.
Old Sep 2, 19, 10:38 am

Programs: UA 1K/MM, TK Elite, DL Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum, IHG Gold, Hertz PC, Avis First
This flew, with a $26 fare refund (which will, coincidentally, ruin my requal at exactly $15,000 PQD).
Was it actually a $26 fare refund, or a $26 taxes refund? If it's the latter, then it won't impact PQD.
onthesam and chavala like this.
Old Sep 2, 19, 11:09 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by docbert View Post
Was it actually a $26 fare refund, or a $26 taxes refund? If it's the latter, then it won't impact PQD.
Excellent point. Probably FRA taxes.
Old Sep 2, 19, 2:56 pm

Same total travel time. Right now, I view transiting EWR as at worst neutral to FRA, with the random security slowdowns (see LH forum thread).
Doesn’t really matter but there is no security if you connect in FRA from TXL to US on LH or UA. Would be just walking from A/B to Z and exit Schengen passport control which is painless and quick.
Old Sep 2, 19, 3:05 pm

Programs: UA 1K (1MM), DL Silver (1MM), Marriott LT Titanium
No, you can't access an airside lounge at final US destination. No way to clear security.
I just flew Y ZRH-TXL and really don't feel like battling for the armrest again. Plus I'm going to try to carry-on a slightly oversize roller and I think that works better in J.

Depends on which UA screen you're looking at.
I'm not referring to any UA screen. My data is from EF.

And, yes, LH is zeroing out inventory in the lower fare classes about a week out. I've been watching my intra-Europe flights for this week and the lower buckets got zeroed out even though the front is wide open. Of course, "wide open" is relative since LH can change the size of the front cabin on a whim since it's simply a movable divider.

-RM
Old Sep 2, 19, 4:38 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by RobOnLI View Post
Of course, "wide open" is relative since LH can change the size of the front cabin on a whim since it's simply a movable divider.
When it's J9, I call that wide open.
Old Sep 3, 19, 6:30 am
Suspended
Original Poster

And UA Still Offers It . . . .

I'm tempted to book it and see what they're willing to do for me this time.
Old Sep 3, 19, 8:37 am

Programs: UA 1K, DL PM, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Rats, I wanted to go digging on this one but now shows as D9 Z0 P0 I9 from all sources I can pull (UA flight has also cleared a bunch of something, or had buyups - J8 O3 now).
Old Sep 3, 19, 10:47 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by findark View Post
Rats, I wanted to go digging on this one but now shows as D9 Z0 P0 I9 from all sources I can pull
It still shows P9 on "change flights" screen. That's what the agent sees if I call as well.

Actually inventory is P0 but I9, which you would never see from UA except in error.

Search this Thread