Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Moved, stick with UA or diversify? Such as Avianca (AV)?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 29, 2019, 5:37 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K, AA Plat, 6C AMB, HH Silver

So, I have 1K with United and have easily requalified for next year. But have moved regions. Was in Angola, now in Colombia. More RPUs and GPUs are pretty much of no use. So, is there a benefit to start crediting miles to Avianca Lifemiles, at least through the end of the year? I hate having orphan miles... Bad enough I have a few thousand peppered within a handful of European carriers. I will have at least a flight a month on Avianca, of at least 2-4 segments. I know the earning potential is greater if I credit Avianca to LM... but I don't know if I will reach any usable levels...

Anyway thoughts appreciated.
Old Aug 29, 2019, 6:05 pm

Isn’t Avianca in financial trouble right now? Seems like sticking with UA would be more stable, even if the miles themselves are devalued.
Old Aug 29, 2019, 6:16 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.99MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by rmadisonwi
Isn’t Avianca in financial trouble right now? Seems like sticking with UA would be more stable, even if the miles themselves are devalued.
Avianca Brazil, a separate entity, is in financial trouble and has ceased operations

The owner of Avianca has an issue but don't believe the airline is the source of that issue
Avianca's majority shareholder (used shares as collateral) breached UCH loan terms

These situations do get blurred.
Old Aug 29, 2019, 7:15 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Avianca's Chairman stated just two days ago that the carrier was bankrupt. Leaked Video Flub Sends Avianca Shares to Record Low

It's hard to imagine them going under entirely, but who knows.
Old Sep 1, 2019, 11:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
well, it depends which airlines you will fly and what you are looking for. There is a thread in the *A forum that gives suggestions. If you can buy 016 tickets then 11x per USD is still pretty good, else it will largely depend on airline, booking class etc. It's not a simple equation. If you can still fly e.g. NH you might be good w/ UA MP ... else, probably not.
Old Sep 1, 2019, 3:38 pm

Programs: UA Plat MM, CM Plat, Amex Plat, Hertz CP, Hyatt Globalist, SPG Gold, Vons Club
I’m not a fan of Avianca. I’ve flown them in Coach within South America, and in business from North America to South America. While Bogotá is a great airport to transfer in, that’s the best part of Avianca. The soft and hard products are seriously lacking. Customer Service is somewhat nonexistent and overall have an attitude of this is the way it is.I did have a nice flight the one time between SCL-BOG in business, It was older equipment and the crew on that flight was rather exceptional. So they have the ability, they just don’t deliver in my opinion

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.