Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Media praise for UA2210 crew in handling autistic flyer

Old Aug 28, 19, 1:16 pm
Original Poster

Apologies if this has been covered but couldn't find a thread -- really nice article on CNN today about how a UA crew flying SAN-IAH a few weeks ago handled a total meltdown by an autistic child on board: https://www.cnn.com/travel/article/u...ess/index.html Seems like they'd have been well within their rights to de-board the family as the child wouldn't stay belted for take-off (arguably they violated FAA rules in NOT doing so), but instead found a work-around that got everyone to their destination. This is a nice story to read for a change.
BBSHOPSINGER likes this.
Old Aug 28, 19, 3:01 pm

Programs: UA 1K *Soon to be a free agent!, Marriott Gold *kiss that goodbye along w 1K status.
But they let a 4 year old kid sit in his mother's lap for take-off??? Um yeah, I'd say that violates FAA rules.
Aussienarelle and mdbe like this.
Old Aug 28, 19, 3:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold, Marriott Gold
I'd like to know more about what "they let Braysen sit on her lap for takeoff while the father was holding him" means, because he's way too big for a lapchild and I'd be concerned about other pax if there was an RTO.
Old Aug 28, 19, 3:53 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Gold, IHG Gold, Raddison Gold
My first thought too. will the FA get in trouble.

I would have expected a negative headline in either case. 'UA Drags off autistic kid' or 'UA endangers autistic kid'. Glad to see they took a positive spin

This old story comes to mind

http://www.inquisitr.com/2078031/autistic-girl-kicked-off-united-flight-from-disney-world-because-she-made-pilot-uncomfortable
Old Aug 28, 19, 4:41 pm
Ari
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by eng3 View Post
My first thought too. will the FA get in trouble.
One wonders if the FAA would take any action under the instant circumstances and against whom.
Old Aug 28, 19, 7:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Gold, Amex Plat
Honestly, makes me feel uncomfortable flying with this UA crew. What other FAA rules are they willing to break/bend? Sorry, no sympathy here ... hope someone investigates this and takes the action necessary.
Old Aug 28, 19, 8:31 pm

Programs: UA 1K / *G; Le Club Accor Platinum; Marriott Bonvoy Gold; Hertz PC
Originally Posted by cfischer View Post
Honestly, makes me feel uncomfortable flying with this UA crew. What other FAA rules are they willing to break/bend? Sorry, no sympathy here ... hope someone investigates this and takes the action necessary.
UA shared this story on their Facebook feed, so I think itís fair to say that they are behind the FAís actions 100%.
coolbeans202 likes this.
Old Aug 28, 19, 8:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, 1MM
Originally Posted by PsiFighter37 View Post
UA shared this story on their Facebook feed ...
Maybe ... but I suspect that there is a media relations officer who got dressed down over this. We all know how much UA needs the good press, and this definitely puts UA in a good light (for the casual reader). But, given all the obvious questions this raises, this is probably a "feel good" story said employee should have passed on, IMHO.

In the end there was a planeload of people who are probably just happy they got where they wanted to go without delay.
Old Aug 28, 19, 8:58 pm

Programs: UA 1K *Soon to be a free agent!, Marriott Gold *kiss that goodbye along w 1K status.

UA shared this story on their Facebook feed, so I think itís fair to say that they are behind the FAís actions 100%.
Yes, but did you notice the part about the kid sitting on his motherís lap during take off was missing?
Old Aug 28, 19, 9:03 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM

UA shared this story on their Facebook feed, so I think it’s fair to say that they are behind the FA’s actions 100%.
That's even more scary in terms of *everyone's* safety on this flight and all other UA flights.

BTW, I didn't see any discussion about the kid being allowed to go up to FC and disturb customers who were seated there. It doesn't seem very fair to other revenue passengers on the flight, even if the kid's family did feel that they were treated very well.

FlyingNone, chavala, leoo and 3 others like this.
Old Aug 28, 19, 9:09 pm

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist View Post
BTW, I didn't see any discussion about the kid being allowed to go up to FC and disturb customers who were seated there. It doesn't seem very fair to other revenue passengers on the flight, even if the kid's family did feel that they were treated very well.
Thatís because nobody had the nerve to say it...yet.
But weíre all thinking it ; )
FlyingNone, BThumme, leoo and 3 others like this.
Old Aug 28, 19, 9:33 pm

Programs: AA,UA,AS
In one of the pictures on the article it shows the child leaning against the beverage cart as it's blocking the galley and cockpit for a pilot to use the bathroom. I know the kid is most likely harmless, but still the image doesn't sit right with me.
FlyingNone likes this.
Old Aug 28, 19, 10:29 pm

Programs: HiltonHonors, IHG Hotels, DL Skymiles
Originally Posted by cfischer View Post
-----
I totally agree. Yahoo news shows pictures of Brayson sitting with his back against a cart in F-class and another with him stiffly lying directly in the aisle clinging to his blanket and that the crew somehow said they worked the cart around him. Sorry, but this is not the way to treat an autistic child kindly and expect everyone else in close proximity to walk around him/ climb over him if they have to use the restroom or strong turbulence occurring. I get it that people are too embarrassed to complain or don't want to look like the bad guy in this "feel-good" story but really,.......this is just another case of parents not assessing ahead of time whether the child is really capable of coping in an enclosed, unfamiliar environment, situational noises, etc. and then everyone, crew, parents letting him have his meltdown at the cost of other passengers' comfort or peace and quiet.

I once had a kid run full bore into me on a cruise ship while the grandmother and mother just watched it happen (no apology). It was only when I looked at them and said one word ...."really ??"......that they (still) did not apologize and defensively shouted......."he's autistic !!"........Seriously, how would anyone know that and frankly, nor did I care. Get control of your children. If you can't then you need to assess getting a babysitter if you want to travel or wait until the child is able to handle himself socially (maybe when he/she is older ?).
zitsky, chavala and leoo like this.

Last edited by FlyingNone; Aug 28, 19 at 10:41 pm
Old Aug 28, 19, 10:36 pm

Programs: UA 1K MM, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by FlyingNone View Post
.....this is just another case of parents not assessing ahead of time whether the child is really capable of dealing in an enclosed, unfamiliar environment, situational noises, etc. and then everyone, crew, parents letting him have his meltdown at the cost of other passengers' comfort or peace and quiet.
It's hard to judge whether their account is true, but according to the story as presented, the kid is "usually okay" flying. If they took him on numerous flights previously and he was okay I'd truly feel sorry for the parents on this occasion.

It's a cutesy-poo story....with the exception of not being strapped in. That part is somewhat bothersome.

​​​​​There is a road sign near home in PA that is some kind of PSA promoting kids and seatbelts. I forget the wording, but it's basically stating that you SHALL NOT take off driving UNLESS all the snots are buckeled up. EVER. NEVER EVER.
FlyingNone likes this.
Old Aug 28, 19, 10:36 pm

Programs: AA Plat, CX Silver

I wouldn't read too much into the actions of whatever intern runs their Facebook page. Certainly I wouldn't assume it reflects the opinion of anyone at UA actually in charge of safety or flight operations.
FlyingNone and leoo like this.

Search this Thread