Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

United announces "MileagePlus Miles Never Expire" (effective immediately 28 Aug 2019)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Aug 28, 2019, 10:20 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
United Airlines Announces MileagePlus Miles Never Expire
Airline continues to make improvements to its award-winning MileagePlus loyalty program

CHICAGO, Aug. 28, 2019

-- United Airlines announced that effective immediately, MileagePlus award miles never expire, giving members a lifetime to use miles on flights, experiences, hotels and more.

"We want to demonstrate to our members that we are committing to them for the long-haul and giving customers a lifetime to use miles is an exceptionally meaningful benefit," said Luc Bondar, vice president of loyalty and president of MileagePlus at United. "Our MileagePlus program provides customers more ways to earn and use miles than any other U.S. airline. More customers used miles to book award trips in 2018 than in any year before, and we expect with today's announcement that even more will use miles to travel the world in the years to come."
Print Wikipost

United announces "MileagePlus Miles Never Expire" (effective immediately 28 Aug 2019)

Search this Thread

Old Aug 28, 2019, 2:00 am
Original Poster

Programs: DL DM

Just saw this on United website, way to go United!

Mileage balance

Great travel memories never expire, and now, miles don’t either. We’re excited to share that there’s no expiration date on the miles you’ve earned with us.
jonlibby, narvik, Kacee and 3 others like this.
Old Aug 28, 2019, 2:11 am
Suspended

Programs: AA, BAEC, Alaska, Flying Blue, United, IHG, Hilton
Originally Posted by hjz131
Just saw this on United website, way to go United!

Mileage balance

Great travel memories never expire, and now, miles don’t either. We’re excited to share that there’s no expiration date on the miles you’ve earned with us.
I am still seeing the 18-month rule displayed on the website. However, if this is true it is a massive step in the right direction.
Old Aug 28, 2019, 2:11 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Wow. When was the last time there was a good MP surprise?
Originally Posted by The_Bouncer
I am still seeing the 18-month rule displayed on the website. However, if this is true it is a massive step in the right direction.
Signed into my account, I see the "never expire" message.
Daze and ichigen like this.
Old Aug 28, 2019, 2:14 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
Just saw this as well.

Mileage balance modal window popup
xxx
Miles never expire

Mileage balance

Wow
Old Aug 28, 2019, 2:15 am

Also no more mention of expiry in the app. Nice one!
Old Aug 28, 2019, 2:19 am

Programs: UA PP (2MM), BA gold
Originally Posted by Kacee
Wow. When was the last time there was a good MP surprise?
When $MI/J left and I was no longer "over entitled."
BearX220 likes this.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Aug 28, 2019 at 10:30 am Reason: repaired quote
Old Aug 28, 2019, 2:20 am

Programs: UA 1MM, Marriott LTP, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Explorist, Hertz PC
If this is true, how would it benefit customers ? The longer one holds the miles, the less the miles will be worth.
Old Aug 28, 2019, 2:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
Here is my guess - this is a response to Chase.

If you transfer UR to UA, you will still be subject to the standard 18-month expiration policy. But if your miles is earned directly with UA (including cobrand credit card), your miles will no longer expire...
Old Aug 28, 2019, 2:40 am

Originally Posted by garykung
Here is my guess - this is a response to Chase.

If you transfer UR to UA, you will still be subject to the standard 18-month expiration policy. But if your miles is earned directly with UA (including cobrand credit card), your miles will no longer expire...
If this is the case, I don't understand how they could separately keep track of UR miles versus UA-earned miles in an account, short of implementing entirely new software to recognize and track two different flavors of miles. At the moment these two earnings are invisibly co-mingled.
drewguy and jinglish like this.
Old Aug 28, 2019, 2:41 am

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, AA Gold, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Discoverist
Worrisome as they seem to be copying DL. Really hope the miles won't be devalued as aggressively.
Old Aug 28, 2019, 2:56 am
Suspended

Programs: AA, BAEC, Alaska, Flying Blue, United, IHG, Hilton
I now have the no expiry message on my app. Excellent news.
Old Aug 28, 2019, 3:26 am

Programs: UA 2MM
I think this is of limited benefit to those of us active on FT. How difficult is it to have some activity over 18 months?
Lurch, LAXOGG, goodeats21 and 2 others like this.
Old Aug 28, 2019, 4:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Miles may never 'expire', but with dynamic awards they can become worthless at any time, with no notice.
Old Aug 28, 2019, 4:57 am

Programs: Hertz PC
Any chance they get rid of the Ridiculous high transfer cost of $7.50 per 500 miles to other mp accts? Would love to transfer miles to family members.
Old Aug 28, 2019, 5:22 am

Programs: AA EXP 2.8m,Lifetime PLT, Hilton Diamond, IHG PlLT, SPG Gold
Wish for once that AA would follow United on this one...(I know DL has had it for years)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.