Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Business class (first timer)

Search this Thread

Old Aug 27, 2019, 7:21 pm
Original Poster

Question Business class (first timer)

What privileges/options/benefits are there when flying Business Class on a United international flight?
Old Aug 27, 2019, 7:42 pm

Programs: UA 1K 2MM, Hilton Diamond
https://www.united.com/web/en-US/con.../business.aspx
Old Aug 27, 2019, 7:44 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.99MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by iowa guy
What privileges/options/benefits are there when flying Business Class on a United international flight?
Mentioning the route would be useful, as that has some impact.

Is this related to the trip to Europe in Advice for cancelling entire trip, separate tickets; how to reschedule & aviod fees?
Old Aug 27, 2019, 7:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM. DL Plat, AS MVP
i would begin by perusing the UA website:

http://www.united.com/polaris
Old Aug 27, 2019, 8:13 pm
Original Poster

This is for a transATLANTIC flight.
Old Aug 27, 2019, 8:19 pm
Original Member

Location: The shape-shifting urban sprawl that is El Lay. FT member #71.
Programs: UA Gold & MM; DL & AA credit card dirt status; Hilton Diamond; Marriott Fool's Gold
Kind of vague answer, if you are looking for FT expert intelligence. UA has a surprisingly large number of plane configurations, and business lounges. Please offer up the route, and the type of plane you are scheduled on (757, 767, 777, 787, etc.).
Old Aug 27, 2019, 9:04 pm

Programs: Costco Executive, RaceTrac Sultan of Soda, Chick-fil-A Red
Care to elaborate?

Do you mean United Business or UA Polaris as both are vastly different.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Aug 27, 2019 at 9:20 pm Reason: Unneeded / unrelated content removed
Old Aug 27, 2019, 9:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

The inability to enjoy long-haul international travel in Economy ever again...
artvandalay, ajGoes, Zeeb and 20 others like this.
Old Aug 27, 2019, 9:23 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.99MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by miamiflyer8
.... Do you mean United Business or UA Polaris as both are vastly different.
Already answered

and which aircraft has already been asked about.
Old Aug 27, 2019, 10:13 pm

Programs: UA GS 2MM
ETransatlantic flights offer what United calls Polaris (business) class. All flights, regardless of aircraft type, will have Polaris service. Some aircraft will also have Polaris seats.

Polaris service includes access to the Polaris lounge (available in the US at certain airports). It’s United’s best asset. Onboard service is ok. Average food. Below average drinks. Some airports have an arrivals lounge if you are terminating there (think showers and breakfast).

All planes have lie-flat seats. The Polaris seats are more private whereas the alternative seats aren’t.

You will get a lot more specifics if you post more info about your route.

narvik likes this.
Old Aug 28, 2019, 12:20 am

Programs: Avis President's Club, Global Entry, Hilton/Marriott Gold. No more DL/AA status.
Originally Posted by jsloan
The inability to enjoy long-haul international travel in Economy ever again...
Darn right! But for a transatlantic, don't forget the "privilege" of a blocked middle seat on European carrier connecting flights (not unique to United/*A of course)
Old Aug 28, 2019, 7:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Originally Posted by Gig103
Darn right! But for a transatlantic, don't forget the "privilege" of a blocked middle seat on European carrier connecting flights (not unique to United/*A of course)
SK doesn't even go that far anymore
Old Aug 28, 2019, 8:09 am

Programs: BA, VS
This was me last week, first business class flights from LHR to ORD and back. My first thought is that whilst it was a big step up from economy in terms of space, if it was my own money I wouldn't be paying 5x as much to travel on the same aircraft just for the Polaris experience (both flights were on the recently refurbished High J 767-300).

The United lounge at LHR and the Polaris lounge at ORD were both good, especially the pre-flight dining at ORD before the return flight. The service on board was also a step up from what I've been used to at the back on the plane.
Old Aug 28, 2019, 10:19 am

Programs: Avis President's Club, Global Entry, Hilton/Marriott Gold. No more DL/AA status.
Originally Posted by mjuler
This was me last week, first business class flights from LHR to ORD and back. My first thought is that whilst it was a big step up from economy in terms of space, if it was my own money I wouldn't be paying 5x as much to travel on the same aircraft just for the Polaris experience (both flights were on the recently refurbished High J 767-300).

The United lounge at LHR and the Polaris lounge at ORD were both good, especially the pre-flight dining at ORD before the return flight. The service on board was also a step up from what I've been used to at the back on the plane.
I've heard friends say the same thing - only on other people's money - but I can't go back. I don't think of it as a price differential, but the overall price. I shop for deals, fly midweek, and use positioning flights. I've paid as little as $2000/person for business class out of LAX when it was $5500 out of PHX, but I admit $3000 is more common a 'deal' price. As my friend points out, that's the same price as a cruise, so "why not suffer in exchange for another vacation?" My answer to him is because I don't want to suffer
Old Aug 28, 2019, 10:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Originally Posted by Gig103
I've heard friends say the same thing - only on other people's money - but I can't go back. I don't think of it as a price differential, but the overall price. I shop for deals, fly midweek, and use positioning flights. I've paid as little as $2000/person for business class out of LAX when it was $5500 out of PHX, but I admit $3000 is more common a 'deal' price. As my friend points out, that's the same price as a cruise, so "why not suffer in exchange for another vacation?" My answer to him is because I don't want to suffer
And at least for me, suffering doesn't get me another vacation. It's PTO, not $$$, that is the limiting factor on how much I can travel for leisure. I wouldn't cross an ocean in Y if it were free (which these days it more or less is).
lindaiah likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.