Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Booking business award flights for iah to japan for the olympics

Old Aug 27, 19, 6:31 am
Original Poster

I am trying to find ways to book iah to japan in 1st or business class using points in late July 2020. The award award chart i see for united is outrageosly expensive, 900k points for 2 people roundtrip. Is there any other way to use my chase points to get cheaper awards?
Old Aug 27, 19, 7:21 am

Programs: UA 1P-1MM, Marriott LT Titanium
Originally Posted by tovo View Post
I am trying to find ways to book iah to japan in 1st or business class using points in late July 2020. The award award chart i see for united is outrageosly expensive, 900k points for 2 people roundtrip. Is there any other way to use my chase points to get cheaper awards?
First, there isn't actually an award chart any more. United has gone to dynamic awards. Doing a quick search, it looks like there may be some partner awards if you are willing to fly mid-week. For that far out, UA doesn't seem to release any lower price awards, especially on weekend dates. You'll need to simply keep searching.

As for using chase points, you can use those to buy tickets through the Chase UR portal, but those aren't really award tickets.
Old Aug 27, 19, 8:26 am

Location: The place where it gets so hot in the summer some planes can't take off.
Programs: Marriott LT Titanium, WoH Globalist, National EE, United Platinum
Found 2x FC awards on ANA leaving 7/10 for 110k miles each.

The return flights seem pretty busy, maybe bad time of year to go from Japan to US?

There are premium economy tickets available, or biz everyday awards for 175k each. Not a great deal, but less than the 900K you quoted.

If you're trying to book through Chase then 900k for two round trip flexible tickets is a pretty good deal... i've seen the tickets go for more than $$6500 a piece in other scenarios.

Maybe buy economy tickets and roll the dice with Mileageplus Upgrade Awards?
Old Aug 27, 19, 10:00 am

Originally Posted by bigshooter View Post
Found 2x FC awards on ANA leaving 7/10 for 110k miles each.

The return flights seem pretty busy, maybe bad time of year to go from Japan to US?

There are premium economy tickets available, or biz everyday awards for 175k each. Not a great deal, but less than the 900K you quoted.

If you're trying to book through Chase then 900k for two round trip flexible tickets is a pretty good deal... i've seen the tickets go for more than $$6500 a piece in other scenarios.

Maybe buy economy tickets and roll the dice with Mileageplus Upgrade Awards?
End of July is the bleeding edge of the booking calendar (you actually can't book July 30th or 31st yet), so it's not that those are busy, just that they can't be booked yet. When I look, there are 80K (160K RT) awards on a bunch of dates in July. The OP hasn't noted if they have any constraints on travel days, but all of the lower priced (partner) awards are mid-week and not on weekends. I agree that the "standard" awards showing on UA flights are 175K (350K RT). Of course, I don't know the OPs status and whether I am seeing different availability due to status. None of the flights that I was looking at specifically stated they were available due to status.
Old Aug 27, 19, 12:04 pm
Original Poster

I will be flying in during the olympics in late July. I am trying to fly in Tuesday, Wednesday, or thursday for about a week.
most I am seeing is 175 k there and 275 back
Old Aug 27, 19, 12:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I will be flying in during the olympics in late July.
I think you've answered your own question.
Old Aug 27, 19, 1:18 pm

Programs: UA Plat, Marriott G, Hilton G, SPG G
I will be flying in during the olympics in late July. I am trying to fly in Tuesday, Wednesday, or thursday for about a week.
Book each as it's own one way. There is a 85k option connecting through Seattle (with domestic in econ) on Weds or there is a 110k first class option through ORD (domestic econ) on Thurs. Unsure why you were not able to see those. Wait to book the return in about a week when the schedule opens.

You are trying to go to Tokyo for the Olympics. This is going to be an expensive ticket no matter what.
jsloan and Long Train Runnin like this.
Old Aug 27, 19, 2:15 pm

Programs: AC E50K, AS MVP, Hertz PC, Hilton Diamond, Delta/Marriott/SPG Plat, UA Gold
You can expand beyond United and S*. Other (best) options:

1) Virgin Atlantic (transfer partners for AMEX, Chase, Citi) - redeem for Delta flights - 60K each way

2) Alaska (transfer partner Marriott) - redeem for Japan Airlines flights - 60K each way
Old Aug 27, 19, 3:15 pm

Well, the olympics are July 24-August 9, and the United award flight calendar will only go to July 29th right now. You'll need to wait to see any other days, but as others have pointed out, flights to Tokyo during the olympics are going to be pretty full, so I wouldn't expect to find cheap award flights during those weeks. You'll have to just keep looking. It does look like there are partner awards on July 20th for 80K miles if you want to arrive a few days before the Olympics start and hang out in Tokyo.
Old Aug 27, 19, 4:48 pm

Programs: DL Silver, Avis President's Club, Hertz President's Circle, Global Entry (Former AA Plt/Gold)
Originally Posted by Repooc17 View Post
You can expand beyond United and S*. Other (best) options:

1) Virgin Atlantic (transfer partners for AMEX, Chase, Citi) - redeem for Delta flights - 60K each way

2) Alaska (transfer partner Marriott) - redeem for Japan Airlines flights - 60K each way
Those are the best possible rates though, right? During the olympics sounds like a reason not to release saver/partner seats in the premium cabin. OP should check availability before initiating a one-way transfer of points-to-miles.
Old Aug 27, 19, 4:59 pm
Original Poster

They have delta premium class for 60 k each way? I will have to take a look at it.

They have delta premium class for 60k each way? I must be looking wrong because I looked and delta has it for 600k roundtrip. Will virgin Atlantic be able to get it for 60k

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Aug 27, 19 at 5:57 pm Reason: merging consecutive posts by same member
Old Aug 27, 19, 6:40 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.021MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CWC Au-197; CCC Elite; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by tods27 View Post
First, there isn't actually an award chart any more. United has gone to dynamic awards.
That hasn't happened yet, and it's unknown how that will affect partner awards.
Old Aug 27, 19, 7:35 pm

Programs: AC E50K, AS MVP, Hertz PC, Hilton Diamond, Delta/Marriott/SPG Plat, UA Gold
They have delta premium class for 60 k each way? I will have to take a look at it.

They have delta premium class for 60k each way? I must be looking wrong because I looked and delta has it for 600k roundtrip. Will virgin Atlantic be able to get it for 60k
Delta flights can be booked through Virgin Atlantic, pending availability. You can also book ANA F roundtrip via Virgin.

Edit: I am in agreement with the consensus award availability to Japan may be scarce - 1) not only it would be peak travel season; 2) the happening of summer Olympics

The alternative strategy to employ would be search nearby countries. Good luck.

Also, as a general rule of thumb, do not transfer any points to miles until you can confirm availability. Once transfers have started, you generally cannot transfer back.

Last edited by Repooc17; Aug 27, 19 at 7:47 pm
Old Aug 27, 19, 8:03 pm

Location: The place where it gets so hot in the summer some planes can't take off.
Programs: Marriott LT Titanium, WoH Globalist, National EE, United Platinum
I still can't figure out where 900k round trip came from...are there 225k one-way awards? ANA first has always been 110k/piece when available.
Old Aug 27, 19, 8:35 pm

Programs: UA Premier
I have recently booked J award seats on JAL JFK-NRT returning NRT-ORD during the Olympics using Chase and Amex MR points. It appears that UA is blacking out all saver awards in Business and First during the Olympics. Likewise Air Canada and ANA, which is why the dates you’ve checked show such expensive awards. JAL, however, is releasing two business seats and two first class seats per flight for most days during the Olympics. They are released 355 days out, but can’t be booked through AA until 331 days out, by which time most all of them will be gone.

However, you can book them NOW through BA’s Executive Club using Avios - it is a transfer partner with Chase and Amex MR. I bought my return business seat for 92,750 Avios, which is competitive, given the current 40% bonus with MR points, and way cheaper than “Everyday Business.”. The outbound seemed like a higher demand date, and I snagged it using AF Flying Blue (also a JAL partner) the minute it was released, using 115,000 Chase points. It seemed a little steep, but now that I see what all the *A carriers are doing, I am relieved to have it. (Connections through Shanghai on Air China are also available through Flying Blue with the same pricing in J.) I would act quickly. If AA follows UA, there will be precious little award space in J and F direct into Tokyo during the Olympics.
Kacee likes this.

Search this Thread