Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Booking business award flights for iah to japan for the olympics

Booking business award flights for iah to japan for the olympics

Old Aug 27, 2019, 8:54 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by bigshooter
I still can't figure out where 900k round trip came from...are there 225k one-way awards? ANA first has always been 110k/piece when available.
Per person is 175k out , 270 back =445 k roundtrip. 890000 points. I just call it 900k for short for United business everyday award
I am tempted just to wait it out a little longer to see if it will drop

Last edited by tovo; Aug 27, 2019 at 9:07 pm
Old Aug 27, 2019, 8:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by mahasamatman
That hasn't happened yet, and it's unknown how that will affect partner awards.
It has happened, for travel after November 15. It does not (yet) affect awards that are purely on partner airlines.

Originally Posted by bigshooter
I still can't figure out where 900k round trip came from...are there 225k one-way awards? ANA first has always been 110k/piece when available.
With UA's uncapped dynamic pricing, it wouldn't surprise me at all if UA awards were 225K each way, 330 days out, during the Olympics. ANA F might be 110K, but "when available" is the issue here.

Originally Posted by pjrubindc
It appears that UA is blacking out all saver awards in Business and First during the Olympics.
I doubt it's anything that structured. UA hasn't released very many awards at T-330 in several years. However, they won't need an actual blackout, because they're going to sell the vast majority of those seats, and upgrade people into any that are left over. They won't need to sell discounted award tickets, but the effect is going to be the same.
Old Aug 27, 2019, 11:15 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by jsloan
It has happened, for travel after November 15. It does not (yet) affect awards that are purely on partner airlines.

With UA's uncapped dynamic pricing, it wouldn't surprise me at all if UA awards were 225K each way, 330 days out, during the Olympics. ANA F might be 110K, but "when available" is the issue here.

I doubt it's anything that structured. UA hasn't released very many awards at T-330 in several years. However, they won't need an actual blackout, because they're going to sell the vast majority of those seats, and upgrade people into any that are left over. They won't need to sell discounted award tickets, but the effect is going to be the same.

In your opinion, since there is availability now, should I pay the 900k in points for 2 people or wait and see if price in points drops later.
Lets say if I purchase the tickets for 900K, and later later on the price goes down too 700k, will United refund some of the points?
Is it possible to book economy then upgrade into business class with desired flights like these?
Old Aug 28, 2019, 1:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by tovo
In your opinion, since there is availability now, should I pay the 900k in points for 2 people or wait and see if price in points drops later.
I don't think any of us really knows what the landscape will be for these awards -- it's a new concept, only for travel after November 15. I would hate to tell you "yes, wait," and then find that the price goes even higher. You're really the only person who can decide if that's a good use of your miles or not.

Lets say if I purchase the tickets for 900K, and later later on the price goes down too 700k, will United refund some of the points?
Yes, although you may be asked to pay a fee of up to $125 per traveler, depending upon status and how far away you are from departure.

Is it possible to book economy then upgrade into business class with desired flights like these?
In theory, yes, but, realistically, I don't think so, especially if you don't have United status. The upgrades would only clear if they were unable to sell business class seats, and I think the fact that you're trying to fly during the Olympics makes that unlikely. I suspect they will sell all of the seats.
Old Aug 28, 2019, 6:39 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by jsloan
I don't think any of us really knows what the landscape will be for these awards -- it's a new concept, only for travel after November 15. I would hate to tell you "yes, wait," and then find that the price goes even higher. You're really the only person who can decide if that's a good use of your miles or not.

Yes, although you may be asked to pay a fee of up to $125 per traveler, depending upon status and how far away you are from departure.

In theory, yes, but, realistically, I don't think so, especially if you don't have United status. The upgrades would only clear if they were unable to sell business class seats, and I think the fact that you're trying to fly during the Olympics makes that unlikely. I suspect they will sell all of the seats.
ok thanks. Only status I have is whatever comes with mileageplus credit card. I am thinking of going ahead and pay the 900k. If it drops significantly later, then cancel, rebook right away and pay the fee if it's worth it. Have you heard people doing this before? Have you heard of someone paying 900k in points for 2?
Old Aug 28, 2019, 6:45 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
They have delta premium class for 60 k each way? I will have to take a look at it.

They have delta premium class for 60k each way? I must be looking wrong because I looked and delta has it for 600k roundtrip. Will virgin Atlantic be able to get it for 60k
Note that DL Premium Select means genuine premium economy; it's not business class, but it's a lot more than just coach with a couple inches more legroom.

I hope the OP isn't just assuming that hotel space will be available in Tokyo, especially in top or international hotels at reasonable rates or as award stays.
Old Aug 28, 2019, 7:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, DL Silver, UA Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Platinum + LT Gold
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Note that DL Premium Select means genuine premium economy; it's not business class, but it's a lot more than just coach with a couple inches more legroom.

I hope the OP isn't just assuming that hotel space will be available in Tokyo, especially in top or international hotels at reasonable rates or as award stays.
For context, the OP was referring to my post where one can redeem 60K for business class seats on DL (Delta) via VS (Virgin Atlantic), inventory availability notwithstanding. In this scenario, premium = business.

Have you heard of someone paying 900k in points for 2?
This may become a regular occurrence with United soon, but it is not new with other FF programs.
Old Aug 28, 2019, 8:22 am

Programs: UA 1K
ok thanks. Only status I have is whatever comes with mileageplus credit card. I am thinking of going ahead and pay the 900k. If it drops significantly later, then cancel, rebook right away and pay the fee if it's worth it. Have you heard people doing this before? Have you heard of someone paying 900k in points for 2?
I would not book it for 900k because as I stated there are less expensive options than that if you take a domestic connection in econ.

Also, I would book this as two one ways and not one roundtrip, for a variety of reasons.

Edit: To add, there is a single business saver award on Tuesday July 21 on the ANA direct from IAH>NRT. I would book that and keep searching for a second. You are probably going to have better luck piecing together a bunch of one ways. Also, since you state you have a credit card make sure it is linked to your account and that you are logged in when you search as almost all the availability I am seeing is "Exclusively available to you as a MileagePlus Premier® member and MileagePlus Chase Cardmember"
Old Aug 28, 2019, 1:11 pm

If the only other option is to fork over $20,000, then sure 900k could make sense. But, why not pursue some of the suggestions that have been offered by posters in this thread?
jsloan and Kacee like this.
Old Aug 31, 2019, 7:26 pm

Programs: UA Premier
Not sure if OP is actually interested in advice, but United is now showing availability on some business class seats nonstop into NRT from both SEA and SJC on ANA on July 25 for only 80K miles one-way.
Old Aug 31, 2019, 9:34 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by tods27
End of July is the bleeding edge of the booking calendar (you actually can't book July 30th or 31st yet), so it's not that those are busy, just that they can't be booked yet. When I look, there are 80K (160K RT) awards on a bunch of dates in July. The OP hasn't noted if they have any constraints on travel days, but all of the lower priced (partner) awards are mid-week and not on weekends. I agree that the "standard" awards showing on UA flights are 175K (350K RT). Of course, I don't know the OPs status and whether I am seeing different availability due to status. None of the flights that I was looking at specifically stated they were available due to status.
I think this is the issue.

I would try end of next week I always have trouble finding awards right at the very end of the available booking dates on the UA site, when you see 2 weeks of august available (in another week or so) please report back, I expect you will see more spots open
Old Sep 1, 2019, 10:12 pm

Programs: AA EXP, NH Plat, Former UA 1K
Sounds to me that even considering paying nearly 900k miles would be quite foolish considering how many normal priced awards (premium seat) have been noted in the thread so far. If you are completely stuck with only UA miles (not Chase Ultimate Rewards) then seems there are plenty of options on ANA metal for 80k or 110k each way... if you have flexibility in your points (Chase Ultimate Rewards points) then there are plenty more options because you're not tied to Star Alliance. JL flights look fairly easy and quite appealing considering the much lower barrier to entry with miles that aren't UA.
Old Sep 1, 2019, 10:23 pm
Suspended

Aren't the olympics in Rio?
Old Sep 1, 2019, 10:39 pm

Originally Posted by sanfran8080
Aren't the olympics in Rio?
They choose different cities every 4 years.
Old Sep 8, 2019, 10:57 pm
Original Poster

Thanks everyone for the help. I did get the flight I wanted from IAH to NRT. I followed the advice and now booking back from NRT to IAH. Only price I see is 175k for Polaris business class on all the days I am looking to come back

I tried calling Virgin Atlantic to try ANA and Delta back, but no award seats.
Are there any other ways to book 1st or business class on United or partner airlines for cheaper?
Do they ever have have a sale on the flight in terms of awards or will it be 175k forever?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.