FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   United Airlines | MileagePlus (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus-681/)
-   -   need star alliance card? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus/1984564-need-star-alliance-card.html)

ente_09 Aug 26, 2019 8:56 am

need star alliance card?

Every year United sends me a Star Alliance lounge access card.

Is there any reason to keep it?
Have never needed to show it upon entering a lounge

IADFlyer123 Aug 26, 2019 9:20 am

Originally Posted by ente_09 (Post 31457983)
Every year United sends me a Star Alliance lounge access card.

Is there any reason to keep it?
Have never needed to show it upon entering a lounge

What is a Star Alliance Lounge Access Card? Never heard of it before. You can access star alliance lounges with your membership card and/or your boarding pass. Do tell us more about this unicorn :)

Often1 Aug 26, 2019 9:44 am

Can you black out the personal info such as number and name and post an image? Never seen one.

ente_09 Aug 26, 2019 9:49 am

Originally Posted by Often1 (Post 31458150)
Can you black out the personal info such as number and name and post an image? Never seen one.

could be my bad

I will post exactly what is said on this card tomorrow or tonight. Like I said, I do not carry it with me.

Kacee Aug 26, 2019 9:49 am

It's pretty clear OP is referring to Mileage Plus card.

The answer is that there are a few lounges which occasionally insist on seeing the physical card (particularly in Germany/Switzerland). 99% of the time you will not need it.

DutchessPDX Aug 26, 2019 3:19 pm

Go to the United App, it can be found there.

Brucemcdou Aug 26, 2019 5:36 pm

Originally Posted by Kacee (Post 31458174)
It's pretty clear OP is referring to Mileage Plus card.

The answer is that there are a few lounges which occasionally insist on seeing the physical card (particularly in Germany/Switzerland). 99% of the time you will not need it.

Agree the OP is probably referring to the United Club membership card or the Premier membership status card that shows your level; I have never seen or heard of a Star Alliance membership card. Note that a paid United Club membership card will only get you into a Star Alliance Lounge and Air Canada Maple Leaf lounge, but not other partners individual lounges (I think that's the current rule).

That said, agree that I have only been asked for a physical plastic card when in Germany or Switzerland and not ticketed in first or business. Have never been asked elsewhere. Only once did I need to show the virtual United Club membership card which was in a United Club in the USA (ORD IIRC) where her computer showed that my membership had expired but the app showed it was still valid. Suspect it may have been user error.

After my experiences in Germany and Switzerland I always carry the plastic card on international travel just in case but I have never been asked.since then.

ani90 Aug 26, 2019 9:20 pm

I would always still carry a physical star alliance gold card. Occasionally comes in handy as sometimes, for whatever reason, the boarding card is not accepted by human or computer. This week at LHR I had to show a physical card to access the fast track security lane as the scanner did not accept my boarding pass. While a digital card may serve same role, in Europe many agents are not familiar with anyi other than a physical card and may reject it.

eeflyer Aug 26, 2019 10:25 pm

OP is probably talking about the card pictured here: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/30837428-post3.html It's provided to United club/United club card members.

milepig Aug 27, 2019 2:01 am

I have a little card holder that I use for all my travel cards. I put my UA cards, drink chits, hotel cards, etc. in there and stash it in my travel bag. Never need any of them. But they’re there.

narvik Aug 27, 2019 2:12 am

Originally Posted by milepig (Post 31460900)
I have a little card holder that I use for all my travel cards. I put my UA cards, drink chits, hotel cards, etc. in there and stash it in my travel bag. Never need any of them. But they’re there.

I pretty much do the same, and never use any of them either.
Once in a while, I will go through them, and take the odd card out and then -as fate would have it- I find myself unexpectedly needing it on exactly THAT trip! :o
Right now I am sans International Drivers License (which is normally with me on every trip), and I could have used it!

flynspill Aug 27, 2019 5:54 am

Originally Posted by narvik (Post 31460914)
I pretty much do the same, and never use any of them either.
Once in a while, I will go through them, and take the odd card out and then -as fate would have it- I find myself unexpectedly needing it on exactly THAT trip! :o
Right now I am sans International Drivers License (which is normally with me on every trip), and I could have used it!

Sorry to stray off topic here but I thought that whole international drivers license thing was not needed or required. Every time I've rented a car pretty much everywhere in Europe I've just shown my California drivers license which was good enough for the rental company and away I went. I was only stopped one time in Italy something like 20 years ago and the guy didn't speak any English..... He checked a few things and looked at me and sent me on my way.

narvik Aug 27, 2019 11:52 am

Originally Posted by flynspill (Post 31461379)
Sorry to stray off topic here but I thought that whole international drivers license thing was not needed or required. Every time I've rented a car pretty much everywhere in Europe I've just shown my California drivers license which was good enough for the rental company and away I went. I was only stopped one time in Italy something like 20 years ago and the guy didn't speak any English..... He checked a few things and looked at me and sent me on my way.

Not in most countries. Thailand and S Korea still require it (unfortunately) for rental car hire, and I'm sure there's others. St Lucia will get you out of paying the Temporary Drivers License fee if you can show a IDP (International Drivers Permit).

Kacee Aug 27, 2019 12:04 pm

They used to insist on card at ZRH Terminal E for entry to SEN lounge, but last few times no issue using BP.

Originally Posted by narvik (Post 31462701)
Not in most countries. Thailand and S Korea still require it (unfortunately) for rental car hire, and I'm sure there's others.

OT but I've rented in Thailand (National) with my California DL.

narvik Aug 27, 2019 12:16 pm

Originally Posted by Kacee (Post 31462743)

OT but I've rented in Thailand (National) with my California DL.

Still OT: I should have used National then....or, you simply got lucky! :)

Hertz: "DO I NEED AN INTERNATIONAL DRIVER'S LICENSE?
  • Actually, Hertz Thailand is requires an international driving license."[sic]
https://www.hertzthailand.com/faq.php

and:

"Required Driving License
If you plan to drive in Thailand, you should either have a Thai driver’s license or an international driver’s permit."

https://www.expatden.com/thailand/ca...riving_License