RIP Captain Al Haynes Flight 232 Hero

Old Aug 26, 19, 6:05 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K 22 years/2MM, HHonors Diamond, Shangri-La Jade, AVIS & Hertz Prez Club
RIP Captain Al Haynes Flight 232 Hero

Al Haynes, who piloted a crippled jumbo jet to a crash landing at Sioux Gateway Airport on July 19, 1989, helping save the lives of 184 passengers and crew, died Sunday.

https://siouxcityjournal.com/news/al...d9fe9176e.html
Old Aug 26, 19, 6:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Proud Charter Member of the OUM
An American hero, along with the other pilots who were able to make a DC-10 fly when no one else could.

Al, you made a difference.
lawchild, jjmoore, 24left and 1 others like this.
Old Aug 26, 19, 7:39 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.021MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CWC Au-197; CCC Elite; WoH Dis
Captain Haynes is one of the most inspirational people I ever met.
Old Aug 26, 19, 8:01 am

Programs: UA 1K MM, Hertz PC
I had to look this up. Pretty amazing:

jjmoore and DragonSoul like this.
Old Aug 26, 19, 8:30 am

Programs: MileagePlus
Amazing reenactment video. Or not reenactment. Whatever you want to call it. Chilling. His calmness saved 184 people.
elynchking likes this.
Old Aug 26, 19, 9:04 am

Programs: HH Gold. (Former) UA PP, DL PM, PC Plat
This is a 55 minute program with Denny Fitch, the deadheading check airman who came to the cockpit and figured out how to control the airplane with differential thrust, telling the story of UAL232. It is excellent.

Old Aug 26, 19, 9:29 am

Programs: UA 1K MM, Hertz PC
Apparently United was one of the very early adopters of CRM (Crew Resource Management), which might have had a huge positive impact on this flight.
DenverBrian likes this.
Old Aug 26, 19, 9:52 am

Programs: UA, Starwood, Priority Club, Hertz, Starbucks Gold Card
Mr. Fitch had also left us several years ago. RIP Al Haynes.
DenverBrian and nancypants like this.
Old Aug 26, 19, 10:44 am

RIP, Al. Thank you for your dedication and incredible skill.

I'm sure Al is having a few of his favorite beverages in Heaven today with Bryce McCormick, the pilot who pioneered the use of differential thrust to save a damaged DC-10, when he guided an AA DC-10 back to DTW in 1972 after the aircraft was severely damaged by a cargo door failure and explosive decompression.
DenverBrian and nancypants like this.
Old Aug 26, 19, 10:46 am

I remember reading about this story in the newspaper when it happened. I was a young teenager at the time. One thing I specifically recall is that the paper had a photo of Captain Haynes in the hospital, waving, and there were bruises and bandages on his face (IIRC). The passengers can thank God that Captain Al Haynes was at the controls that day!

I also noticed the flight number, because I'm booked on Emirates 232 in a couple weeks.
Old Aug 26, 19, 11:05 am

Programs: HH Diamond, WN RR, National Exec, Avis Preferred
I read the book Flight 232: A Story of Disaster and Survival, a few years ago and it is truly an amazing story.

RIP Captain Haynes.
Old Aug 26, 19, 11:52 am

Programs: All of them, UA-Plat, 1MM*G
Originally Posted by JoeDTW View Post
I'm sure Al is having a few of his favorite beverages in Heaven today with Bryce McCormick, the pilot who pioneered the use of differential thrust to save a damaged DC-10, when he guided an AA DC-10 back to DTW in 1972 after the aircraft was severely damaged by a cargo door failure and explosive decompression.
Sarsaparilla maybe? Note that when Denny Fitch told Al that "we'll have beer when this is all done," Al's response was "I don't drink, but I'll sure as shxx have one."
Old Aug 26, 19, 1:18 pm

Saw this on the noon news today. I was just a kid when it crashed here in 1989. The thick black smoke rising from the direction of the airport, the constant sound of sirens for several hours and of course the image of the plane fireballing down the runway is something I’ll never forget. Captain Haynes’s actions not only saved countless lives that day but the crew of the DHL cargo plane that was hit by SAM in Iraq was familiar with the 232 crash and used differential thrust to somehow land safely. RIP captain.
DenverBrian and wrp96 like this.
Old Aug 26, 19, 4:35 pm
Moderator: Smoking Lounge; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime (for now) Gold MM, HH Gold, Giving Tootsie Pops to UA employees, & a retired hockey goalie
R.I.P. Captain
Old Aug 26, 19, 5:26 pm

Programs: AA EXP, UA Silver, Hertz 5*, National Executive, Hyatt DSC, HHonors/SPG/Marriott Gold, IHG PLT
Indeed an American hero and a great example of leadership in crisis. RIP, Captain.

Search this Thread