UA PQM earning on premium economy on ANA

Old Aug 26, 19, 1:17 am
Original Poster

Programs: DL/UA
UA PQM earning on premium economy on ANA

Recently, I was excited to find that UA started letting people book partner premium economy on routes that UA doesn't fly (such as SEA > NRT, only operated by NH).
Previously, partner PE were available if UA was also flying (such as SFO > NRT) but not for routes that UA metal didn't fly.

Anyway, so I'm trying to book SEA > NRT on NH PE. I was looking at PQM earnings and was a bit disappointed to find that it only earned same as regular Y.

I looked at a few other days and they had different fare classes like R, A etc but all of them only earned 100% PQM.

Is this working as intended or, are we supposed to get 1.5x PQM off partner PE as well?
Old Aug 26, 19, 1:23 am
Moderator: United Airlines; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 1.85MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Gold
On ANA, per https://www.united.com/ual/en/us/fly...tners/ana.html , only the full fare PE earns 150%, the discount and deep discount PE are 100%.. As a UA codeshare R fare, that maps to NH's N fare. (and A to E, O to G)

Old Aug 26, 19, 1:31 am
Original Poster

Programs: DL/UA
Ah, I missed looking up that section... Thank you for the quick reply!
Old Nov 10, 19, 7:24 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA Plat, AS MVPG
Bumping this for a related question. I purchased from NH a Premium Economy ticket for SFO-NRT-BKK and back. It's 220 plated and all booked in E class. The SFO-NRT and NRT-SFO legs are NH-coded but UA-operated. When I pull the itinerary on the United website it shows the transpac legs in R, which makes sense since I know NH E maps to UA R. But I can't figure out many award miles I'm going to earn (and thus how many PQPs I'll earn) for this ticket! Specifically do the UA-operated flights credit based on the fare or the miles flown? (I assume the NH-operated NRT-BKK legs credit based on distance.)
Old Nov 10, 19, 8:04 pm

Programs: UA 1K/MM, TK Elite, DL Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum, IHG Gold, Hertz PC, Avis First
Originally Posted by BookerNYC View Post
Specifically do the UA-operated flights credit based on the fare or the miles flown? (I assume the NH-operated NRT-BKK legs credit based on distance.)
All UA flights, regardless of ticketing carrier, will be based on fare. (With a few exceptions like BULK tickets).
The NRT-BKK leg will be based on miles, with whatever multiplier is relevant for the NH fare code. If this is for travel in 2020, then PQP will be based on the miles earned, divided by 5.
Old Nov 11, 19, 12:41 am

Programs: UA GS, Bonvoy Amabassador, Hertz PC
Also, if it is a code share

UA = ANA/LH
O = G
A = E
R = N
Old Dec 30, 19, 5:10 pm

Originally Posted by docbert View Post
All UA flights, regardless of ticketing carrier, will be based on fare. (With a few exceptions like BULK tickets).
The NRT-BKK leg will be based on miles, with whatever multiplier is relevant for the NH fare code. If this is for travel in 2020, then PQP will be based on the miles earned, divided by 5.
Who defines "miles earned" in this case (non-016 stock, flights on preferred partner): the partner or UA?

I have an NH LAX-ITM r/t booking in NH's fare class N (deep discount premium economy).
  • The ANA website reservation details say this earns 8222 miles "for flight miles earned in the ANA Mileage Club", which is 70% of the actual but-in-seat miles (note: 70% is consistent with ANA's documented rules [[url]www.ana.co.jp en us amc reference tameru flightmile int]). 8222mi would result in 1644 UA PQP.
  • However, UA says [[url]www.united.com ual en us fly mileageplus earn-miles airline-partners ana.html] that NH fare class N earns 100%. This would result in ~2200 UA PQP.
So is it NH or UA that decides the miles earned (and PQP) toward UA MP?
Old Dec 30, 19, 5:44 pm
Moderator: United Airlines; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 1.85MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Gold
Welcome to FT!, EJLA
Originally Posted by EJLA View Post
Who defines "miles earned" in this case (non-016 stock, flights on preferred partner): the partner or UA?
However, UA says [[url]www.united.com ual en us fly mileageplus earn-miles airline-partners ana.html] that NH fare class N earns 100%. This would result in ~2200 UA PQP.
When crediting to UA MP, you use UA rules

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Dec 30, 19 at 5:58 pm
Old Dec 30, 19, 6:58 pm

Programs: AS MVPG, DL Gold, UA Platinum, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium + LT Silver, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by EJLA View Post

I have an NH LAX-ITM r/t booking in NH's fare class N (deep discount premium economy).
  • The ANA website reservation details say this earns 8222 miles "for flight miles earned in the ANA Mileage Club", which is 70% of the actual but-in-seat miles (note: 70% is consistent with ANA's documented rules [[url]www.ana.co.jp en us amc reference tameru flightmile int]). 8222mi would result in 1644 UA PQP.
  • However, UA says [[url]www.united.com ual en us fly mileageplus earn-miles airline-partners ana.html] that NH fare class N earns 100%. This would result in ~2200 UA PQP.
On a 205 ticket from ANA crediting to UA, you will earn just under 2,300 PQP for the roundtrip:

LAX-HND-ITM-HND-LAX - distance: 11,478 (UA may have a slightly different figure but the difference should only vary by a few miles +/-). As you have noted, N fare earns 100%, and ANA is a preferred partner, so the PQP calculation factor will be 5 (instead of 6).

11,478 multiply by 100% divide by 5 = 2,296 PQP

Ignore the information on the ANA website. That's for when you are crediting to ANA.
Old Dec 30, 19, 11:18 pm

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA View Post
Welcome to FT!, EJLA
When crediting to UA MP, you use UA rules
Originally Posted by Repooc17 View Post
On a 205 ticket from ANA crediting to UA, you will earn just under 2,300 PQP for the roundtrip ... Ignore the information on the ANA website. That's for when you are crediting to ANA.
Thank you both for your quick response!

Search this Thread
Search Engine: