Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

United app no longer shows available first class seats?

Old Aug 25, 19, 1:31 pm
Original Poster

Programs: United MileagePlus / Amtrak Guest Rewards

I’m trying to figure out if this is a temporary glitch or the result of stupid behavior by United management. Although I suspect I already know the answer.

I don't fly enough to worry about ever being upgraded from coach to first so I always just book and pay for first. Now, even though I only select “First or Business Class” as my search option, the UAL app (iPhone/iPad) no longer allows me to browse the FC seats without first selecting a flight for booking. I don’t travel for business so getting on a specific flight is not always the criteria for me, sometimes it really is seat availability. Now, in order to see what’s available, I have to create a fake booking and run through the whole thing just to see where I might want to sit.

Is is this some convoluted method by which United hopes to squeeze more revenue from us stones or is it something else?

Last edited by The Mikado; Aug 26, 19 at 8:22 pm Reason: Spelling/grammar
Old Aug 25, 19, 1:37 pm

Programs: UA GS, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold
I don’t understand. How else would you see a future flight’s available seat without viewing it during the booking process?
Old Aug 25, 19, 1:49 pm
Moderator: United Airlines; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold 1.85MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Gold
Could you describe what you did in the past that worked the way you desired?
Old Aug 25, 19, 2:21 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold
Searching flights by what seats are available. That's an interesting concept.
Old Aug 25, 19, 2:53 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.021MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CWC Au-197; CCC Elite; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by villox View Post
How else would you see a future flight’s available seat without viewing it during the booking process?
On the website, a search provides all the flights with a "view seats" link that you can use before moving forward with the booking process.
ChinaShrek, CREN and Naldo1984 like this.
Old Aug 25, 19, 2:58 pm

Programs: UA GS, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by mahasamatman View Post
On the website, a search provides all the flights with a "view seats" link that you can use before moving forward with the booking process.
And so does the app, once you select the flight. That’s how it’s always worked. I don’t recall being able to expand the flight into a seat map from the search results directly.
Old Aug 25, 19, 3:04 pm

Programs: UA 1K/MM, TK Elite, DL Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum, IHG Gold, Hertz PC, Avis First
Search, and you'll get a list of flights. Click on one of the flights, and it'll show the details of the flight.

On the left is a link "Seat Map". In practice, you can actually tap anywhere on the flight details section, not just right on the actual "Seat Map" link and it'll show you the seat map.

Or at least, that's what it does for me on Android...
Old Aug 25, 19, 3:06 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA View Post
Could you describe what you did in the past that worked the way you desired?
Yes, I opened the United app on my iPad, I then selected “Book”, selected my departure and arrival airports, selected one-way or round-trip, selected my travel date(s), selected Economy/Premium Economy, Business, or First (in my case, First), selected number of adults, and then “Search flights”.

Once the list of first class or “mixed” flights (those with at least one segment with no FC) appears, I then look at the individual flights available. If I select a flight and choose “seat map”, only the coach seats appear and FC is grayed-out. In order to see the available FC seats, I have to select a flight and run through the process as if I had already made the decision to book that flight.

Up until 2 months ago or so, I was able to look at the full FC and coach seat maps while just browsing the flights.
Originally Posted by TomMM View Post
Searching flights by what seats are available. That's an interesting concept.
So glad you find it so.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Aug 25, 19 at 4:02 pm Reason: merging consecutive posts by same member
Old Aug 25, 19, 3:08 pm

Originally Posted by The Mikado View Post

Yes, I opened the United app on my iPad, I then selected “Book”, selected my departure and arrival airports, selected one-way or round-trip, selected my travel date(s), selected Economy/Premium Economy, Business, or First (in my case, First), selected number of adults, and then “Search flights”.

Once the list of first class or “mixed” flights (those with at least one segment with no FC) appears, I then look at the individual flights available. If I select a flight and choose “seat map”, only the coach seats appear and FC is grayed-out. In order to see the available FC seats, I have to select a flight and run through the process as if I had already made the decision to book that flight.

Up until 2 months ago or so, I was able to look at the full FC and coach seat maps while just browsing the flights.
I've seen this, too, though I think this error has been limited to some UAX flights but not all.
Old Aug 25, 19, 3:08 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by mahasamatman View Post
I’m not talking about the website. I’m talking about a process that used to work just fine on the United app which no longer works.
Old Aug 25, 19, 3:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

The process you describe works fine for me. I have definitely had problems with first class being grayed out when changing an existing economy ticket, but if I do a new search for first class, and click on the seat map, I see it.

If you'd like to give a sample search, people can try to replicate it.

This is probably a good time to point out that there is an entire, large thread about UA changing seat assignments without notification or recourse.
Old Aug 25, 19, 3:32 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP, Hyatt Glob, Marriott Gold, SBUX Gold
Just did a few random searches on the UA app and it was showing available J/F seats on the Seat Map. Same as it's always worked for me. Didn't matter if the initial search was for Economy or First.

To be fair, I have also noticed similar behavior on the UA website, but in completely different scenarios. Examples that I can think of are when you are searching for award or upgrade space and all J/F seats will be greyed out if there is no award/upgrade space available. But I haven't ever noticed this for normal revenue bookings.
Old Aug 25, 19, 3:37 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MM; AS MVPG75K; Marriott Titanium; Hilton Diamond (Aspire); Hyatt Refugeeist
It's not uncommon to encounter a temporary UA IT glitch and mistakenly conclude there's been a change in policy.
Old Aug 25, 19, 4:32 pm

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.021MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CWC Au-197; CCC Elite; WoH Dis
I’m not talking about the website. I’m talking about a process that used to work just fine on the United app which no longer works.
I realize that. I was answering someone else's question.

Originally Posted by Kacee View Post
It's not uncommon to encounter a temporary UA IT glitch and mistakenly conclude there's been a change in policy.
Occam's razor.
Old Aug 25, 19, 4:36 pm

Programs: UA Plat, Marriott G, Hilton G, SPG G
I’m trying to figure out if this is a temporary glitch or the result of stupid behavior by United management. Although I suspect I already know the answer.

I dont fly enough to worry about ever being upgraded from coach to first so I always just book and pay for first. Now, even though I only select “First or Business Class” as my search option, the UAL app (iPhone/iPad) no longer allows me to browse the FC seats without first selecting a flight for booking. I don’t travel for business so getting on a specific flight is not always the criteria for me, sometimes it really is seat availability. Now, in order to see what’s available, I have to create a fake booking and run through the whole thing just to see where I might want to sit.

Is is this some convoluted method by which United hopes to squeeze more revenue from us stones or is it something else?
yes I’ve noticed that sometimes the app will
show FC seat map and sometimes it won’t depending on how it is viewed and accessed. This
is different from before.

Search this Thread