Strange MP Math - Z Fares Credit at Random %

Old Aug 25, 19, 10:34 am
  #1  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: FLL/LAX/YYZ/TPE
Programs: CO Platinum 1K, United 1K, SPG LT Platinum, National Executive Elite, Platinum TSA Hater
Posts: 33,531
Strange MP Math - Z Fares Credit at Random %

So I thought Z fares earn 2x base miles - however, looking at my recent flights, someone at United seems to be math challenged:

1. ONT-DEN
Base Miles: 1,115
PQM Expected: 2,230
Actual PQM: 1,782???

2. DEN-YYZ
Base Miles: 1,650
PQM Expected: 3,300
Actual PQM: 2,630???

Did I miss the memo on Z fares earning some unpublished random % of base miles?
bocastephen is online now  
Old Aug 25, 19, 10:44 am
  #2  
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: SFO
Posts: 2,500
Originally Posted by bocastephen View Post
So I thought Z fares earn 2x base miles - however, looking at my recent flights, someone at United seems to be math challenged:

1. ONT-DEN
Base Miles: 1,115
PQM Expected: 2,230
Actual PQM: 1,782???

2. DEN-YYZ
Base Miles: 1,650
PQM Expected: 3,300
Actual PQM: 2,630???

Did I miss the memo on Z fares earning some unpublished random % of base miles?
PQM is 2x on Z fare of actual flight miles not 2x from base miles earned. Base miles is based on price of ticket and your status. Posting seems correct.
myperks is offline  
Old Aug 25, 19, 11:24 am
  #3  
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Posts: 4,651
The above from myperks is correct.

However, ONT-DEN seems odd: 819 (Great Circle Mapper) * 2 = 1638, significantly different than 1782.
fumje is offline  
Old Aug 25, 19, 11:37 am
  #4  
 
Join Date: Dec 2018
Location: ORD
Programs: UA 1K
Posts: 13
DEN-YYZ flight distance is 1315 miles, 1315x2 = 2630 PQM. Base miles is the fare x a multiplier determined by status (for 1K I think it's 11).
jj1983 is offline  
Old Aug 25, 19, 1:48 pm
  #5  
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: NYC
Programs: UA-1K MM, AA-Gold, DL-Silver, AS-MVP
Posts: 1,374
Originally Posted by fumje View Post
However, ONT-DEN seems odd: 819 (Great Circle Mapper) * 2 = 1638, significantly different than 1782.
UA seems to have a typo, they list ONT-DEN as 891 miles.
hirohito888 is online now  
Old Aug 25, 19, 5:09 pm
  #6  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: FLL/LAX/YYZ/TPE
Programs: CO Platinum 1K, United 1K, SPG LT Platinum, National Executive Elite, Platinum TSA Hater
Posts: 33,531
Originally Posted by myperks View Post

PQM is 2x on Z fare of actual flight miles not 2x from base miles earned. Base miles is based on price of ticket and your status. Posting seems correct.
Thanks for clarifying - I had a senior moment and forgot my base miles are not distance miles when using 016 tickets.
bocastephen is online now  
Old Aug 25, 19, 5:59 pm
  #7  
Moderator: United Airlines; FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: SFO
Programs: UA Gold 1.85MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Gold
Posts: 47,625
Confusion resolved -- will close the thread

WineCountryUA
UA coModerator
WineCountryUA is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread