FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   United Airlines | MileagePlus (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus-681/)
-   -   For the first time in 20 years, I have no itineraries on United (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus/1984350-first-time-20-years-i-have-no-itineraries-united.html)

zrs70 Aug 24, 2019 12:52 pm

For the first time in 20 years, I have no itineraries on United

Historically I would have up to seven. Today is a mile stone, as I have zero.

not just on United, but on any airline.

why the abrupt change?

my husband and I are giving birth to twins in less than one month! We are excited and nervous and scared and all that… I don’t think I’ll be on a plane for a very long time!

looking forward to eventually having two Junior mileage plus members in the household!

SteveHK Aug 24, 2019 1:03 pm

Congrats!! Enjoy the travel break and the next chapter!! :)

DELee Aug 24, 2019 1:11 pm

Mazel Tov!

David

PsiFighter37 Aug 24, 2019 1:14 pm

I am in the same boat - my wife is due next week. The only 5 itineraries I show on my MP account are trips I booked for my mom - to New Zealand, Japan and London.

My first order of business once our daughter is born is to sign up for an MP account, since neither a birth certificate or SSN is required. And I figure the eventual loss of 1K will be lessened since we will preboard before all of them (at least for a couple years). :D

ETA: and to the OP - congratulations! :)

gene2632 Aug 24, 2019 1:53 pm

Congrats on the twins. We are on the other end of the spectrum and were down to only 1 itinerary booked because we are both retired, no more work travel and we consolidated our homes to one near our grandchildren rather than flying back and forth across the country to enjoy them....was looking forward to hitting zero and then friends said "come to Venice and Vienna and Budapest with us in the fall" then someone said "cheap cruise from DUB to see Ireland and Iceland" and we booked and then there is that Alaska cruise with the whole family next year to celebrate our 50th....and I just booked that trip for 6 using up most of our miles...so, don't count on staying at zero for too long, remember kids under 2 fly for free and pre-board :).

findark Aug 24, 2019 1:59 pm

Originally Posted by PsiFighter37 (Post 31452510)
My first order of business once our daughter is born is to sign up for an MP account, since neither a birth certificate or SSN is required. And I figure the eventual loss of 1K will be lessened since we will preboard before all of them (at least for a couple years). :D

ETA: and to the OP - congratulations! :)

Welcome to United Premier Baby®, your new status ;) (Sometimes as expensive as GS)

zrs70 Aug 24, 2019 2:43 pm

https://cimg1.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.fly...0a9ac2caa.jpeg
Thanks all! Here is a fitting photo I captured during my final trip.

SS255 Aug 24, 2019 2:53 pm

Mazel Tov! Don’t forget to sign the twins up for MP accounts as soon as the ink on their birth certificates is dry. :D

dinoscool3 Aug 24, 2019 4:44 pm

Originally Posted by SS255 (Post 31452731)
Mazel Tov! Don’t forget to sign the twins up for MP accounts as soon as the ink on their birth certificates is dry. :D

Even if the ink isn’t quite dry—better get that FFN. Oh, and don’t forget the passport!

superEGO Aug 24, 2019 4:53 pm

Congrats!! Hah, we received our kiddo's MP number before her social!

tylerdurden4543 Aug 24, 2019 7:24 pm

For what its worth, in our experience the easiest time to travel with kids was before 18 months old (read most likely to sleep in your arms), so hopefully you get some new itineraries booked soon!

UA_Flyer Aug 24, 2019 7:30 pm

Originally Posted by zrs70 (Post 31452466)
Historically I would have up to seven. Today is a mile stone, as I have zero.

not just on United, but on any airline.

why the abrupt change?

my husband and I are giving birth to twins in less than one month! We are excited and nervous and scared and all that… I don’t think I’ll be on a plane for a very long time!

looking forward to eventually having two Junior mileage plus members in the household!

Congratulations! This is a great news. I will miss your travel posts but there is nothing more important than this.

As other has suggested on signing MP for the twins. I signed up my daughter when she was first born. She just finished grad school and started her first job with a lifetime BIS of about 400K in United. It gives her a head start to get MM status. She is already a loyal UA Flyer!

HoustonConsultant Aug 25, 2019 9:43 am

Originally Posted by zrs70 (Post 31452466)

For the first and only time, I hit Global Services the year our twins were born.

Needless to say, I did not get to significantly enjoy the perks of GS for long, but it was glorious while it lasted.

Originally Posted by tylerdurden4543 (Post 31453305)
For what its worth, in our experience the easiest time to travel with kids was before 18 months old (read most likely to sleep in your arms), so hopefully you get some new itineraries booked soon!

We enjoyed the flights when the kids were under 12 months (sleep a lot and not yet mobile) and over 3 years (iPad friendly). Those two years in-between were rough.

iapetus Aug 25, 2019 2:47 pm

Congrats, zrs70!!!

You did the smart thing by getting MM status first. I did not have MM status when the iapetus jrs. were born. Regaining status after the birth of our twins was painful (I recall one specific check-in experience at LHR). Not only do you get the joys (and everything else ;)) of parenthood, you won't suffer (too much) from a status standpoint when you get to flying again.

Enjoy this time! I'm sure that I don't have to explain how special it is.

zebranz Aug 25, 2019 2:54 pm

Do lap babies get miles?

They do have a paid ticket... but no seat so no BIS.