One Reservation - Multiple FF accounts?

Old Aug 24, 19, 6:32 am
Original Poster

One Reservation - Multiple FF accounts?

I found a multi-City routing on Google Flights that includes the following segments:

LAX-CSX-PEK (operated by HU)
PEK-TPE-MNL-ROR (Operated by HU, BR, UA)
ROR-GUM-NRT-PEK (Operated by UA,NH)
PEK-CTU-LAX (Operated by HU)

The flight seems to only be bookable on the UA website which seems odd to me considering the majority of the miles flown are on HU; phone agents were not able to ticket the routing for me but I was able to book this in United.com

I chose NOT to book this flight while logged-into my frequent flyer account because I want to know if it's possible to add different FF numbers for the different segments. For example, I'd want to credit the HU flights to Alaska Airlines and then credit the other flights to probably SQ or NH since I don't think I'll get any PQD with United for this ticket. Is this possible? Would I just request the addition of my FF nubmers at the airports when checking in or can this be done in advance? If I can't credit to multiple programs, will I be able to credit to at least one of them?

Thanks in advance,
Andrew
Old Aug 24, 19, 7:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Gold, Amex Plat
yes that can be done. Across alliances that is easy to do. For using multiple *A accounts it can get tricky, e.g. with connecting flights having 1 credit to SQ and the 2nd one to NH is generally not working out so well. Crediting separate parts of a longer trip to different FQTV accounts is not an issue
Old Aug 24, 19, 10:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Voldoo View Post
For example, I'd want to credit the HU flights to Alaska Airlines and then credit the other flights to probably SQ or NH since I don't think I'll get any PQD with United for this ticket. Is this possible?
You would absolutely get PQD on the BR and NH flights on this ticket if you were to credit to UA, because you booked it through UA.

For the HU flights, you should be able to add your MileagePlan number via the HU website; if that doesn't work, they can do it at the check-in counter or the gate; and, if for some reason, that doesn't work, you can file for retroactive credit. I agree with cfischer that you'll be best suited to picking one *A partner for the remaining flights, whichever one it may be.
Old Aug 24, 19, 4:48 pm
Original Poster

Thank you both for your responses.

I'm still so confused......I just spent about an hour on the phone with the Mileage Plus representative and long-story short, she was only able to calculate my RQMs for the *A operated segments only. She was unable to verify my total PQDs earned and nowhere can I find a detailed breakdown of each segment's costs. The entire reservation is on a single ticket number of 016 stock; so I'm unsure why they can't seem to confirm any of this information. The PQDs are what I care about most; I'm willing to forgo any mileage earnings for Alaska on the Hainan segments if I can get PDQs for the entire value of the booked ticket.

As things stand now, if I'm unable to get clarification before my departure, I'm might leave the Frequent Flyer fields blank and have them added at the airport when I check-in for each flight. For the HU flights, I will provide my AS number and for the *A segments I will give them my UA number and just hope for the best. Based on the response above from cfischer, I shouldn't have an issue doing this since I'm won't be utilizing multiple *A accounts. Do you guys feel that I'd be better off adding my UA number now for the entire booking, and then just manually asking to update the HU segments to Alaska? I wonder if I'd have a better shot at getting the full PQDs if I went this route.

Andrew
Old Aug 24, 19, 7:01 pm
Moderator: United Airlines; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold 1.85MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Gold
A couple of thoughts
-- There can be only one frequent flyer account on a UA reservation at any given time, switching as you travel is possible but can lead to unpredictable results. Best to avoid.
-- If PQDs is the major objective, I would leave the UA MP account on the ticket and after the travel request credit for the non-*A flights to a different program.
-- Calculating the PQDs for this sort of mixed travel is not easily done and is buried deep in a computer algorithm the few seem to understand. UA has stated this is based on a standard industry practice and seems related to how revenue is distributed but I have never seen a clear explanation I can use. The typical advice is just to wait until it is posted. Your experience on this is common. But you will not get PQDs for the non-*A segments (even when on a 016 ticket) and, the overall ticket PQDs will be reduced as some revenue will go to the non-*A carriers.
Old Aug 25, 19, 7:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Gold, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by Voldoo View Post
Thank you both for your responses.

I'm still so confused......I just spent about an hour on the phone with the Mileage Plus representative and long-story short, she was only able to calculate my RQMs for the *A operated segments only. She was unable to verify my total PQDs earned and nowhere can I find a detailed breakdown of each segment's costs. The entire reservation is on a single ticket number of 016 stock; so I'm unsure why they can't seem to confirm any of this information. The PQDs are what I care about most; I'm willing to forgo any mileage earnings for Alaska on the Hainan segments if I can get PDQs for the entire value of the booked ticket.

As things stand now, if I'm unable to get clarification before my departure, I'm might leave the Frequent Flyer fields blank and have them added at the airport when I check-in for each flight. For the HU flights, I will provide my AS number and for the *A segments I will give them my UA number and just hope for the best. Based on the response above from cfischer, I shouldn't have an issue doing this since I'm won't be utilizing multiple *A accounts. Do you guys feel that I'd be better off adding my UA number now for the entire booking, and then just manually asking to update the HU segments to Alaska? I wonder if I'd have a better shot at getting the full PQDs if I went this route.

Andrew
You will get PQD on any UA partner segment that you credit to UA MP. You will not get any for the non-partner routes. You can credit non-partner flight easily to other FQTV programs, that is generally easy to accomplish.
You can also add different *A FQTV #s to different parts of the trip; try to avoid that on connections on the same airline ... so LHR-ZRH-ZDH on Swiss ... I tried very unsuccessfully to credit LHR-ZRH to UA and ZRH-ZDH to M&M (because it doesn't earn on UA) ... that was a mess. Crediting the flights to following day to M&M was not a problem at all. So as long as you have a stopover somewhere and check-in again with the same or a different airline ... you should be able to change FQTV account numbers.

On your ticket receipt there should be a breakdown per segment for the PQDs. There is no guarantee this is 100% correct, but it is a good indication.
Old Aug 25, 19, 8:12 am

IME with the SFO to Hangzhou cheap fares with Cathay pacific connector, you can book logged into United when booking. Your frequent flyer number wonít transfer to Cathay pacific since no Frequent flyer agreement. I had to go into Cathay and I put myself.

The flight was so cheap that that I didnít even calculate the PQD as long as I got my full PQMs on the UA portion.

Search this Thread