FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   United Airlines | MileagePlus (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus-681/)
-   -   Difference between TK and LH mileage accrual on UA (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus/1984315-difference-between-tk-lh-mileage-accrual-ua.html)

Dudemon Aug 24, 2019 5:16 am

Difference between TK and LH mileage accrual on UA

The included image show 2 partner flights: TK and LH. Both flights were in J class but it’s a bit shocking that the TK flight yielded so few comparative miles considering it’s the longer flight. TK is a full member of *A so I was a bit surprised. Does anyone know why the disparity?

just in case the image is not showing up:

TK: FRA-ESB, PQMs 1368, PQS 1. (Actual miles 1368)
LH: FRA-ATH, PQMs 3372, PQS 1.5. (Actual miles 1124)

margarita girl Aug 24, 2019 6:56 am

LH, LX, AC and NH are preferred partners. You’ll earn more PQMs and RDMs than the other Star Alliance airlines. You just have to look at the mileage accumulation pages for the respective airlines on UA website.

cfischer Aug 24, 2019 7:56 am

Originally Posted by Dudemon (Post 31451260)
The included image show 2 partner flights: TK and LH. Both flights were in J class but it’s a bit shocking that the TK flight yielded so few comparative miles considering it’s the longer flight. TK is a full member of *A so I was a bit surprised. Does anyone know why the disparity?

just in case the image is not showing up:

TK: FRA-ESB, PQMs 1368, PQS 1. (Actual miles 1368)
LH: FRA-ATH, PQMs 3372, PQS 1.5. (Actual miles 1124)

perfectly normal and not any different in most other FQTV programs. RDM earnings are also very different. That is why one always has to consider carefully which partner airline to fly and check earnings along the way.

docbert Aug 24, 2019 9:03 am

Originally Posted by Dudemon (Post 31451260)
The included image show 2 partner flights: TK and LH. Both flights were in J class

I'm guessing both flights were NOT in "J class".

"J" class on TK is if their lowest level business class, which does indeed earn 1.0x miles flown. All other business class fares earn 1.25x (C, D, Z and K), so on this one you were indeed on a J class fare.

"J" class on LH is full-fare business class, and earns 2.0x miles flown. As you only earned 1.5x it appears you were in "Z" class which is their 2nd lowest business class fare. If you had been in the even cheaper "P" class then you would have earned 1.0x miles flown, just like you did on TK.

cfischer Aug 24, 2019 11:42 am

Originally Posted by docbert (Post 31451845)
I'm guessing both flights were NOT in "J class".

"J" class on TK is if their lowest level business class, which does indeed earn 1.0x miles flown. All other business class fares earn 1.25x (C, D, Z and K), so on this one you were indeed on a J class fare.

"J" class on LH is full-fare business class, and earns 2.0x miles flown. As you only earned 1.5x it appears you were in "Z" class which is their 2nd lowest business class fare. If you had been in the even cheaper "P" class then you would have earned 1.0x miles flown, just like you did on TK.

"J" class on LH is full-fare business class, and earns 3.0x miles. The OP is listing PQMs.

jsloan Aug 24, 2019 12:00 pm

Originally Posted by docbert (Post 31451845)

Actually, OP listed 3x PQM, indicative of a J fare on LH. 1.5 PQS, but 3x PQM.

And, yes, the basic rationale is that UA gives higher PQM amounts on its joint venture partners. LH is one; TK is not.

UA_Flyer Aug 24, 2019 12:24 pm

Originally Posted by margarita girl (Post 31451496)
LH, LX, AC and NH are preferred partners. You’ll earn more PQMs and RDMs than the other Star Alliance airlines. You just have to look at the mileage accumulation pages for the respective airlines on UA website.

The distinction is JV partners vs non-JV partners.

JV partners are: LH, LX, OS, SN, NH and AC

Lufthansa, Swiss, Austrian, Brussels, ANA and Air Canada

jsloan Aug 24, 2019 12:25 pm

Originally Posted by UA_Flyer (Post 31452400)

The distinction is JV partners vs non-JV partners.

JV partners are: LH, LX, OS, SN, NH and AC

Lufthansa, Swiss, Austrian, Brussels, ANA and Air Canada

And NZ.

gr8pirate Aug 24, 2019 9:27 pm

Originally Posted by cfischer (Post 31451661)
perfectly normal and not any different in most other FQTV programs. RDM earnings are also very different. That is why one always has to consider carefully which partner airline to fly and check earnings along the way.

very true!
The most glaring example I know is LH P (discount business). It earns a big fat zero in TK’s FFP!

hirohito888 Aug 24, 2019 9:49 pm

Although not a JV partner (yet), CM also earns 1.5x PQM on higher class fares.