Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

COPA (CM) award booking experiences using United miles

Hide Wikipost
Old Aug 23, 19, 3:20 pm   -   Wikipost
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Wiki Link
Print Wikipost

Old May 31, 15, 2:30 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA, UA, SQ, VA, QF, AF, BA

I have been tracking the segments I need for next year's trip which I should be able to book on UA.com. One of these segments is PTY-POS. COPA has a daily noon-ish flight that they generally release J space and sometimes Y space. The evening flight which is 5x week normally has both Y & J space widely available.

Since they switched the website to the new updated version, I have noticed that they are not offering Y seats on that evening flight through UA.com. This has only been a problem for the 3rd week of April 2016 but I am worried this will keep happening and I can't book the seats online. I want Y seats, they are short flights. The ANA tool and Lifemiles DOES show the correct Y availability.

I think this is some kind of computer glitch maybe exacerbated by COPA leaving MileagePlus and getting their own program. ANA & Lifemiles are pulling from *net and United.com probably pulled from a different fare bucket.

So how do I get around this without having to pay $25 (per ticket or per pnr)?

The actual itinerary I want is BOG-PTY-POS. Can I hold the BOG-PTY online using the phone award option and get the phone agent to check the *A inventory and add the segment?
Old May 31, 15, 9:08 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.021MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CWC Au-197; CCC Elite*; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by Tiki View Post
So how do I get around this without having to pay $25 (per ticket or per pnr)?
If you call and tell them the inventory is not showing up online they will likely waive the fee. Note that United is the only airline of the "big three" that will do this.
Old May 31, 15, 9:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by mahasamatman View Post
If you call and tell them the inventory is not showing up online they will likely waive the fee. Note that United is the only airline of the "big three" that will do this.
That's another inflated (and patently incorrect) view of the relative merits of UA.

The AA Reservations Ticketing Service Charge will be waived for all members redeeming miles for awards that cannot be booked on aa.com

http://www.aa.com/i18n/AAdvantage/re...ard-travel.jsp
Old May 31, 15, 11:00 am

Programs: AA EXP; AS 75K; WN A List; UA 1K 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott AMB; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Since they switched the website to the new updated version, I have noticed that they are not offering Y seats on that evening flight through UA.com.
UA has not switched its website. The beta site is a beta site.

ANA & Lifemiles are pulling from *net and United.com probably pulled from a different fare bucket.
All *A carriers use the same fare buckets for star alliance award inventory - X, I, O.
Old May 31, 15, 3:42 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA, UA, SQ, VA, QF, AF, BA
Originally Posted by Kacee View Post
UA has not switched its website. The beta site is a beta site.

All *A carriers use the same fare buckets for star alliance award inventory - X, I, O.
So why is UA showing only J availability between 19-25 April on the evening flight and both ANA and Lifemiles show Y & J availability? The evening flight doesn't operate on Sunday and Thursday but they should be offering Y on the M, Tu, W, F, Sat flights.
Old May 31, 15, 8:14 pm

Programs: UA 1K (1MM), DL Silver (1MM), Marriott Amb (LT Titanium)
So why is UA showing only J availability between 19-25 April on the evening flight and both ANA and Lifemiles show Y & J availability? The evening flight doesn't operate on Sunday and Thursday but they should be offering Y on the M, Tu, W, F, Sat flights.
Two points:
1. Copa (CM) only has its schedule out until April 24, 2016. They go 330 days out like most airlines.
2. ExpertFlyer verifies there is no "I" (business) or "X" (economy) seats open on CM for the dates you mentioned to POS. Zero.

Now, having said #2, I tried a whole bunch of different routes from PTY on CM using dates from tomorrow until the end of the year and I can't find one award seat to anywhere on CM that I checked. So either EF is not getting correct data or I'm just checking the wrong city/date pairs.

-RM
Old May 31, 15, 9:54 pm

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.021MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CWC Au-197; CCC Elite*; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by 3Cforme View Post
The AA Reservations Ticketing Service Charge will be waived for all members redeeming miles for awards that cannot be booked on aa.com
When did that change? I was charged $70 in December for booking two tickets on LAN even though you cannot book those online, and the AA forum confirmed that there was no way around this. A case of AA following a UA policy?
Old Oct 27, 15, 10:56 am

Programs: TK G,UA *S
Well this issue was solved last year but this year as of lately I noticed that Copa awards on UA.com are not that easy to book, are really scarce, when it comes to saver awards even months in advance.

I guess they might restricted the numbers of seats released for MP members now that they have their own program?
Old Oct 27, 15, 11:56 am

Programs: UA 1MM Gold, HH Diamond, Marriott Gold
just booked COPA for next year in I...

without difficulty (IAD-LIM). I suspect part of the perceived shortage is that they fly a lot of 737's which have a very small business cabin. I'm guessing they don't release more than a couple of seats until close in.

Interestingly enough, if you succeed in booking a COPA award flight, it shows as Business (I) on the UA web site and Economy (I) on COPA's web site. I'd be concerned if it weren't for the fact that the COPA site shows me the business cabin seats as the ones I can (and did) select. Apparently they didn't get the note that I was supposed to be the standardized J award code across Star Alliance.
Old Oct 27, 15, 6:28 pm

Programs: AA EP, CM PP, AV GM, UA Silver, SPG Gold, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Plat, Accor Plat
I'm Presidential Plat. with Connectmiles, and they recently sent me an email advising that they have opened up extra award seats. The email even mentioned easy acquisition with other *A programs, and specifically MileagePlus.

For some reason, Everything I search while trying to redeem M+ to/from MDE shows tons of UA and AV, but almost no CM. I'm flying UA/AV combos from DFW and back before the end of the year, then an AV-only flight back to MDE in December.

CM, of course, doesn't serve DFW, so the above example is not the best, but the majority of connections are AV, and all Saver Awards are either all or primarily AV via SAL.

A trip being planned to MCO shows a lot of Saver availability on AV, but none on CM. Even MDE-SJO, which is most frequently served by CM, mixes CM between MDE-PTY and back, AV for PTY-SJO and back as the top three options.

It looks to me as if UA has a new preferred partner in Latin America.
Old Jun 23, 17, 8:42 am

Programs: TK G,UA *S
Originally Posted by flymexico2010 View Post
...and to add to my coments, you need to be lucky to get an agent that actually see this standard awards and wants to help you.
Previous agents did not even mention that there were standard awards available, they simply told me there is nothing in saver award level.
Before the divorce of COPA from UNITED a MEX PTY PUJ award was so easy to book for 20k miles rt ticket.
Well I have been looking for weeks and I cannot find the trick to book these awards now. Even if there is award availability on both legs for example, when I search as a MEX PUJ flight it comes as standart award pricing 20k per one way.

Is there any trick to apply here to get the saver awards? Even when searching as multicity and with a stopover of less then 24hours the same standard awards comes.
Thanks

And just to add to it. The same story with Avianca. Lots of availability but when you try to construct something everything is only standard award.

What a way to enhance MileagePlus. WOW

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Jun 23, 17 at 12:22 pm Reason: merging consecutive posts by same member
Old Jun 23, 17, 10:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by flymexico2010 View Post
Before the divorce of COPA from UNITED a MEX PTY PUJ award was so easy to book for 20k miles rt ticket.
Well I have been looking for weeks and I cannot find the trick to book these awards now. Even if there is award availability on both legs for example, when I search as a MEX PUJ flight it comes as standart award pricing 20k per one way.

Is there any trick to apply here to get the saver awards? Even when searching as multicity and with a stopover of less then 24hours the same standard awards comes.
Thanks
Post-October 2016, searching via multi-city causes the award to be priced as multiple one-ways (e.g.: MEX+PTY + PTY-PUJ), regardless of the length of the connection / stopover. :-(

I see a couple of options at 10K for travel on Sunday, 6/25, so it's still coded properly into the computer. (The ones I'm seeing are MEX-SJO-PTY-PUJ, but at least the mileage is correct).

If you're seeing saver awards on MEX-PTY and PTY-PUJ, but none on MEX-PTY-PUJ, you may be seeing married segment availability. There's a thread on the board ("married segments on award tickets") that talks about it. Definitely not a good change for flyers.

Long story short: UA has eliminated most of the availability tricks from the new award system. If the flight doesn't show up on a MEX-PUJ search, you're unlikely to be able to get it for 10K miles.
Old Feb 23, 19, 11:54 am

Programs: UA 1K
No Copa availability through MileagePlus after January 4, 2020?

Hello,
it appears like there is great availability of Copa tickets on MileagePlus through Jan 4, 2020 and then absolutely nothing (everyday or saver) after that date. In the past they were offering seats 330 days in advance. Frequent flyer tickets are still available in January through Copa’s own ConnectMiles program.
I called United and they were not aware of any issues with Copa (unlike other airlines). Does anyone know whether there are changes in booking codes, IT or policies that would explain this?
Thanks!
Old Feb 23, 19, 11:55 am

Programs: SPG Gold, AA Lifetime Platinum, UA Platinum, DL Platinum, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Platinum
You didn't see the announcement?
Old Feb 23, 19, 12:23 pm
Moderator: United Airlines; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 1.85MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Gold
Originally Posted by SanFranCA View Post
,,, it appears like there is great availability of Copa tickets on MileagePlus through Jan 4, 2020 and then absolutely nothing (everyday or saver) after that date. ...
Has CM released space to AC or NH or other partners? Is this unique to UA or all partners?

Search this Thread
Search Engine: