Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

COPA (CM) award booking experiences using United miles

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Aug 23, 2019, 11:11 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Print Wikipost

COPA (CM) award booking experiences using United miles

Search this Thread

Old Aug 23, 2019, 8:17 am

Programs: Amex Plat, Hilton Diamond, SPG Gold, Carlson Gold, CM Presidential / *A Gold, Hertz 5*
You cannot waitlist on Copa (even ConnectMiles members), you have to wait for the space to appear and then get it (if you are lucky)

If you logged into your booking on copaair.com and it says you are in economy, best not to worry about that. Once ANY changes have been made to a booking, it will remain as per the first change on their site, it will never update. It will also stop you from selecting seats online - you need to call them. Choose Row 2 or 3. Closer to the front means the better chance of getting your meal preference

Get the Copa Airlines app, plug in the PNR and refresh (pull down one the screen) a couple of times. Check the booking there, it should say business
Old Aug 23, 2019, 10:06 am

Originally Posted by pmarrsouth

Get the Copa Airlines app, plug in the PNR and refresh (pull down one the screen) a couple of times. Check the booking there, it should say business
That solved it. The app shows me in business. Kind of quirky, good tip. But I have call to pick my seat.... pima.

is there anything to do to improve my chances of the wait list clearing? No status but have the United club card.

thanks

Last edited by HeStoleMyLogin; Aug 23, 2019 at 10:11 am
Old Aug 23, 2019, 12:02 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by HeStoleMyLogin
is there anything to do to improve my chances of the wait list clearing? ....

You need I space to become available to clear in advance. If I does become available and you have not cleared, then call.

At the gate, you should be on the visible gate standby upgrade list -- based on status, fare, .... As this is a CPU route, you will be ahead of most CPUers (except GS and 1Ks on YBM fares) -- but at the very bottom of the supported upgraders.

Consolidated "Waitlist for Award Seats Questions/Issues"

[Consolidated] Chance of upgrade clearing on my flight
Old Aug 23, 2019, 9:23 pm

Programs: UA 1K, HHonors Diamond
Copa Award Pricing - 40K for Econ?

Showing 40K for Econ and 30K for business on various one ways PTY-USA

Is this a glitch or some form of variable pricing?
Old Aug 23, 2019, 9:30 pm

Programs: UA GS 2MM
Sounds like there isn’t Saver Y, but there is Saver J. Easy choice to make about which to buy.
Old Aug 23, 2019, 9:33 pm

Programs: UA 1K, HHonors Diamond
I didn't know Copa changed over to Saver/Non Saver Availability.....I guess copying United.

Ok I do see on some routes 17.5K so yes I guess they transitioned to what most other programs have done....

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Aug 23, 2019 at 10:38 pm Reason: merging consecutive posts by same member
Old Aug 25, 2019, 12:42 pm

You cannot waitlist on Copa (even ConnectMiles members), you have to wait for the space to appear and then get it (if you are lucky)

If you logged into your booking on copaair.com and it says you are in economy, best not to worry about that. Once ANY changes have been made to a booking, it will remain as per the first change on their site, it will never update. It will also stop you from selecting seats online - you need to call them. Choose Row 2 or 3. Closer to the front means the better chance of getting your meal preference

Just as a follow up, I did call and get my seat reserved. App shows me in business with my chosen seat. Website still shows me in economy. Go figure. Wonder how check-in will go?
Old Aug 27, 2019, 11:29 am

One more follow up question....Now that i am locked in to business on Copa and the miles have been deducted from my United account shouldn't my "request" have a different designation than "I requested" for I0 seats? I will not be getting the miles back regardless. shouldn't i be a higher priority ...I am now a displaced business class passanger. Is there a designation like RN or P, PN etc I should try to get my self designated?
Old Aug 27, 2019, 11:53 am

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by HeStoleMyLogin
One more follow up question....Now that i am locked in to business on Copa and the miles have been deducted from my United account shouldn't my "request" have a different designation than "I requested" for I0 seats? I will not be getting the miles back regardless. shouldn't i be a higher priority ...I am now a displaced business class passanger. Is there a designation like RN or P, PN etc I should try to get my self designated?
Until the gate for a UA flight you will be I waitlisted, at the gate you will be merged into the other waitlisted upgraders using supported instruments (GPUs. RPUs & miles). You will not be a "displaced" passenger (once thought to be true but all evidence suggests not). Note for those using supported instruments -- if they are also a two-segment itin, and the one leg cleared, they will also not be refunded if the other leg does not clear. So others will be in similar circumstances.

As an aside -- refunds are possible if the unupgraded segment is Polaris cabin -- true for supported instruments and waitlisted mileage awards. But that does not apply
Old Nov 19, 2020, 7:56 am

COPA Award Space Not Showing

I am looking to book a C-class award ticket between IAD and SCL next October. I can see saver award space on Copa in the Aeroplan site, but no Copa space is showing at all via United. In fact, I can see now Copa award space to any destination past July of next year. Anyone know why Copa space would show on Air Canada but not United? Any value in my calling the 1K line to see if they can access the award space?
Old Nov 19, 2020, 11:13 am

Originally Posted by NellieVA
I am looking to book a C-class award ticket between IAD and SCL next October. I can see saver award space on Copa in the Aeroplan site, but no Copa space is showing at all via United. In fact, I can see now Copa award space to any destination past July of next year. Anyone know why Copa space would show on Air Canada but not United? Any value in my calling the 1K line to see if they can access the award space?
Have you tried to book that space on the AC site. AC has had issues just like UA in showing phantom space.
Trying ANA or Expert Flyer can be a tie breaker
Old Nov 19, 2020, 11:31 am

Programs: Amex Plat, Hilton Diamond, SPG Gold, Carlson Gold, CM Presidential / *A Gold, Hertz 5*
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
Have you tried to book that space on the AC site. AC has had issues just like UA in showing phantom space.
Trying ANA or Expert Flyer can be a tie breaker
Try expertflyer as per this quoted poster

Or post the dates and someone can help you
Old Nov 19, 2020, 12:38 pm

Try expertflyer as per this quoted poster

Or post the dates and someone can help you
The seats are showing on both ANA and Aeroplan, and I can get all the way to booking. Looks like United hasn't loaded any award space on COPA after 8 August.

I am looking going IAD to SCL on 20 October 2021, and returning from EZE to IAD on 1 November. Both ANA and Aeroplan are booking into November, but United is still a couple of weeks behind.
Old Nov 19, 2020, 1:15 pm

... I am looking going IAD to SCL on 20 October 2021, and returning from EZE to IAD on 1 November. Both ANA and Aeroplan are booking into November, but United is still a couple of weeks behind.
UA goes out 330+ days , so 20 Oct 2021 is 335 days out -- you are a week or 2.5 weeks (for the return) too early
Old Nov 19, 2020, 1:41 pm

Looks like United hasn't loaded any award space on COPA after 8 August.
Interesting, EP only shows inventory to this date too. Probably means that Copa has not released inventory after that date to other *A (etc) airlines

I am looking going IAD to SCL on 20 October 2021, and returning from EZE to IAD on 1 November. Both ANA and Aeroplan are booking into November, but United is still a couple of weeks behind.
You would not even be able to book a revenue ticket outside of 330 days, as Wine pointed out

I can see & book inventory on CM itself until 15th Oct 2020 for your city dates (both I and X available), but on their own site

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.